Bachmann 2019 Speculation

piranha230

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann have already backed off from producing some big steam engines, part of the reason for the Yorkshire tanks, etc was that they were smaller to produce and would come in at a better price. I think there were statements along the lines of that when some products were announced. Hence no really big tender engines from Bachmann that are new in recent years. The V2 might change that with the retool but will be interesting to see how that comes in at. 

The 94xx is hardly big, and I don't see why it's any more difficult/expensive to do than the 64xx already made, or an all-new J72/G5/1P for that matter.

If Bachmann ever get to the stage that they can't produce an inside cylinder 0-6-0T at a price that won't scare off too many punters, I reckon it'll be game over. 

I know Bachmann cancelled the S15, but that was to avoid duplication with Hornby, and most of the really big tender locos have been covered by them already.

Having neglected to update the biggish tender locos they already made for far too long, Bachmann lost the Lord Nelson and many expect the Manor to go the same way imminently. If so, Bachmann will soon run out of well-known potential subjects with more than eight wheels. IMHO, they left the V2 longer than was prudent, too. 

Some serious strategic thinking is required at Barwell, I think, but their (apparent) geographical prejudices of the past may well have cost them dearly.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Is it true that Derek Lovat f Bachmann is to retire?  Threrfore a loco which may be on of his favourites on the cards?

Derek Lovat F. Bachmann Esq is alive and well and living in Eastbourne (to be spoken in the voice of Edmund Blackadder).   :angel:

Is it true that Derek Lovat f Bachmann is to retire?  Threrfore a loco which may be on of his favourites on the cards?

AFAIR he has retired from Bachmann and is now a consultant for Locomotion / NRM

Season's Greetings to all

• RMweb Premium

Interesting looking at both the Bachmann and Hornby speculation threads.

Bachmann started on 18/12, 8 pages at the time of posting this.

Hornby started on 14/12, 18 pages.

Ok the Hornby thread has run for four days longer, but there seems more inclination to speculate there, perhaps because the expectation is that Hornby’s announcements will appear in the shops much earlier than Bachmann’s. Bachmann does after all announce new models much earlier in the development process. Does interest wane when we know we’ll have a very long wait?

Dennis (not Derek) Lovett has retired from Bachmann and is indeed working for Locomotion.

All detailed in the Locomotion thread on here.

• Like 1

Class 37 retool. Hornby or Bachman..?

I'd have to disagree, the current Bachmann 37 is fine.  If any retooling is proposed I'd prioritise a flush front sealed beam Class 45, which really needs to be pushed up the agenda.  If the rumours are true and the moulds got damaged after the one off limited edition was made, then it's due an appointment in the tooling shed and pronto.  The few that make it to thiefBay fetch stupid prices so there is a proven market.

I'm not sure trying for millimetre microscopic perfection on the 37 can be a higher need than the huge gaping hole that is the flush front 45.

I'd have to disagree, the current Bachmann 37 is fine.  If any retooling is proposed I'd prioritise a flush front sealed beam Class 45, which really needs to be pushed up the agenda.  If the rumours are true and the moulds got damaged after the one off limited edition was made, then it's due an appointment in the tooling shed and pronto.  The few that make it to thiefBay fetch stupid prices so there is a proven market.

I'm not sure trying for millimetre microscopic perfection on the 37 can be a higher need than the huge gaping hole that is the flush front 45.

Agreed they need a flush 45 , but that won’t have the sales potential of a 37.

I’d like to see a newer47 with the flaws in the current one fixed and a better mechanism, the last two brand new ones I’ve brought ran poorly compared with other stuff. Ones been back to Bachmann twice and the stuttering DCc sound one will also in the new year.

I'd have to disagree, the current Bachmann 37 is fine. If any retooling is proposed I'd prioritise a flush front sealed beam Class 45.

While I don't disagree about the class 45, the current 37 is fine by the standards of when it was first tooled but not by today's standards. The windows, roof detail, bogies and underframe all need work and the nose ends on the skirted version are distorted to clear the buffer beam.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Do we really need another new tool 37 or 47? I think not, the market and the disposable income just isn't there. I am not even convinced there is enough of a market to support another Deltic in OO either. 

Do we really need another new tool 37 or 47? I think not, the market and the disposable income just isn't there. I am not even convinced there is enough of a market to support another Deltic in OO either. 

I couldn't disagree more John. The class 47 is long overdue a model of modern specifications and i think it's only a matter of time as the Heljan model doesn't cut the mustard really for what is the seminal diesel of the last 50 years.

Happy Christmas to you and yours.

B  

Do we really need another new tool 37 or 47? I think not, the market and the disposable income just isn't there. I am not even convinced there is enough of a market to support another Deltic in OO either.

Make the product and the demand will come. I have an Accurascale Deltic on order but until the announcement I had no plans to add a Deltic to the fleet. I have 3 Bachmann class 37s that have had a lot of work done to them but I would replace them tomorrow with a better model.

• Like 1

I'm really not sure which D&E models could be worth going at as the available classes that would really sell in an upgraded form are getting snapped up. The Accurascale Deltic and Hatton's Shed spring to mind, the SLW 24 being a bit of a different level of model but would anyone fancy doing a slightly lower spec one?

In addition to the SLW 24 there is also a new Bachmann 24 (EP samples shown in August).

Both Bachmann and Heljan are doing versions of a 25.

Don't think there is really any room for yet another 24/25.

One of the largest steam classes not available in RTR form (if not the largest) happens to be one of my favourites - the ex GNR/LNER/BR class K2.

Contrary to common belief the Scottish version (K2/2) was not confined to the West Highland line and could be seen on ex-GNSR and HR metals at Inverness, Keith and Elgin and the Royal Deeside line and the ECML.

They had a reasonable spread across England as well but the ScR ones with those lovely Loch names made the difference for me. I hope one of the manufacturers fills the gap between Hornby's K1 and Bachmann's K3 !

• Like 1

Class 45 flush front it is a no brainer. A lot of people want one, they were such a big part of the rail blue scene. Have the guys at Bachmann a commercial brain? We shall soon find out in January.

The Class 37 and 47 could definitely be improved. Get the rivets off around the windows of the 47 and put the right fuel tanks on it would be a good start point. Whether there is a big enough market place for a more correct 47 I am not too sure.

Anyway whatever, it is a first world problem.

Happy Christmas all... and to those at Bachmann :)

• RMweb Gold

I couldn't disagree more John. The class 47 is long overdue a model of modern specifications and i think it's only a matter of time as the Heljan model doesn't cut the mustard really for what is the seminal diesel of the last 50 years.

Happy Christmas to you and yours.

B  

What about the existing Bachmann one?

As Bachmann have been re-tooling their older coaching stock, my guess would be a re-tool of the Mark 1 suburban coaches.

From a manufacturing point of view, a class 104 would make sense, as the tooling could also include a the front end for a class 110, which had an identical body but was fitted with the 4 character head code box.