Bachmann 2019 Speculation

piranha230

I still think the A5 with its wide geographical spread would be a great model.

The J27 is rumoured to have been scanned and always polls well.

The black 5 was scanned recently on the NYMR according to the MPD Facebook page so we might be about to get an upgrade.

If a J27 is announced I will be extremely happy. Edited by 9402 Fredrick
  • Like 2

Make the product and the demand will come. I have an Accurascale Deltic on order but until the announcement I had no plans to add a Deltic to the fleet. I have 3 Bachmann class 37s that have had a lot of work done to them but I would replace them tomorrow with a better model.

In my case the demand is already there.  I have six Bachmann 37s, but would have many more if they had been produced without the glaring errors like the cantrail trough, undersized cab windows etc.  I haven’t got the time to rebuild every model I buy, hence only six.  If someone produces a quality unrefurbished 37 to the same sort of standard as SLW’s 24 then my savings are in for a severe bashing.

When Bachmann announced D6984 (green, skirts) I was intending to buy 3 or 4 and renumber them and fit etched cab windows.  When I saw one in the flesh I just couldn’t bring myself to buy even 1, that’s how bad it is to my eyes.

• RMweb Gold

Has that feel of toys being tossed out of prams. All quite silly really

Not silly at all as it’s blatantly disregard of the terms and conditions and to be honest, Bachmann being a global company could possibly walk away from Hatton’s without to much impact. The other thing could be upsetting Bachmann is the fact that Hatton’s are now distributing their Class 66’s to other retailers which must be really p***ing Bachmann right off.

Edited by jools1959

Their website does not seem to exist.

I know - have tried following this up with little success, but I'm fully turntabled up, although I might have been interested if it had been available a couple of years ago. It does look promising though, and there are several other videos of its development and final appearance.

• RMweb Gold

Revised Voyager with the Class 170 mechanicals to allow interior to be modelled, together with the "Meridian" Class 222. Probably featuring illuminated destinations and door release lights, single chip with multiple speaker options and interior lighting.

Possibly a 319 announced in OO, although a few years back I did hear a rumour of a 310...The 319 would be a good choice covering turd rail and OHLE operation and still going strong.

Steam: could it be the year of the Manor? Something ex-LNWR passenger to accompany the G2 and Coal Tank?

Coaches: Off the wall suggestion, Mk2 Pullmans.

I would definitely buy a 310. Best units BR ever built!

A 313/4/5 would be a good choice given that they are in their last years of service, as are some of the oldest passenger stock in use.

• RMweb Gold

I think the AL5/Class 85 could be rested for this year as BR blue 85040 in weathered spec is only just out but wouldn't it be superb if they announced a

Class 81 same pantograph mech as the Class 90 on DCC (or even an 81 with the Shields Road leaping salmon logo or domino headcode panel)? Take my money now...…..

always thought they were very similar to the 85 certainly the basic chassis and remains one of the last of the low hanging fruit as far AC overhead Bo-Bo electrics are concerned with the lesser spotted 82, 83 and 84 below it. .

I'm second in the queue behind you for a "fish"! Edited by rodent279

I still think the A5 with its wide geographical spread would be a great model.

The J27 is rumoured to have been scanned and always polls well.

The black 5 was scanned recently on the NYMR according to the MPD Facebook page so we might be about to get an upgrade.

Dont assume that the Black 5 is going to be 00 gauge, as I know another one has been looked at in the area and it was not for that gauge... 

• RMweb Gold

The absolute basic necessities for any, or at least the huge majority, post early 60s layouts are diesels of classes 08, 20, 25, 31, 37, and 47.  Are we happy with the ones we've got or could they be improved (I mean toolings and performance, not liveries)/.  For the preceding and overlapping 1948-68 steam era, LMS Black 5 and 8F, Standard 5MT, WD 2-8-0, 9F; same question.  

Apart from that one needs to look at locos built in very large numbers; Black 5 and 8F already mentioned, but I think one needs to mention GW 57xx and derivates, and Halls; for the LMS, the 2P and 4P 4-4-0s, 4F 0-6-0.  I am sure other candidates will suggest themselves; there were still a lot of ex LNWR 0-6-0s around!  Same question.

The answer to it will be in some cases, yes, we are content with the current offering, and in other cases, no, we are not, especially with the diesels but nobody has thought of the LNWR 0-6-0, over a thousand built and lasted until the early 50s, and a very pretty little thing at that!

I've yet to see a 37 that I'd be happy with, or a 40; it seems particularly difficult to get the cab windows right on these engines for some reason.  Not that bothered, as they are not needed on my 1950s BLT.

Just for interest, applying the 'am I happy' question to my own stock, the answer is a resounding yes if the item is current Bachmann production.  I live with the problems on 2 pannier tanks, a Hornby 2721 that I've done a bit of work on, and my 'Limbach' 94xx; the weakest link is a Mainline 57xx converted to 8750 spec with a K's whitemetal kit cab and running on a modern Baccy 57xx chassis, and I also have an old Mainline 56xx body, again running on a modern chassis, which I am horribly aware of the shortcomings of because I have a current model, which is not really all that much better but just enough to notice...

I am in the market for a new 94xx, and would love to see a 2721 to modern standards from anyone; Hornby would need a new chassis if they did it again.  

Edited by The Johnster

The absolute basic necessities for any, or at least the huge majority, post early 60s layouts are diesels of classes 08, 20, 25, 31, 37, and 47.  Are we happy with the ones we've got or could they be improved (I mean toolings and performance, not liveries)/.

My perhaps / likely wrong impression is that the market is changing, and that while there are exceptions the market is moving to buying fewer locos but demanding that they be more accurate and detailed.

The 25 is coming (in some versions) from Bachmann and Heljan with SLW as a possible.

The 37 and 47 both need new versions, and as I alluded earlier it really with those 2 is a question of who gets there first.  If Hornby or Bachmann don't do it then it is just a matter of time before a Accurascale, Rapido, Hattons, etc. do it because of the ability to almost yearly offer new product on that tooling investment.

My feeling is the 31 also needs a new version, though it may end up with one of the smaller players.

Not familiar enough with the 08 or 20 to comment.

Could I be pointed to a definitive list of what is wrong with Bachmann 37/4. I have been looking at mine, the only issues I have is the fuel tank ends lack 'depth' and the cab front windows do not have the toughen glass frames. And yes, the bogies could have some more detail. But I would say, unlike a Bachmann 66. I fail to see any glaring omission. I want to learn, and I like lists! 

• Like 2

Could I be pointed to a definitive list of what is wrong with Bachmann 37/4. I have been looking at mine, the only issues I have is the fuel tank ends lack 'depth' and the cab front windows do not have the toughen glass frames. And yes, the bogies could have some more detail. But I would say, unlike a Bachmann 66. I fail to see any glaring omission. I want to learn, and I like lists!

From the bottom upwards ( and some of this may not apply dependant on which 37/4 you have)

- Bogie footsteps are 2 dimensional

- Bogie brake cylinders are malnourished

- Bogies frames are too low and too wide

- No guard Irons

- Fuel tank supports not modelled

- the corner cut outs of the fuel tanks are too shallow

- Fuel tank pipework missing

- Jumper cable socket on buffer beam is a blob

- Trench around central grilles

- Windscreen surrounds lack representation of the window frames

- Windscreen pillars too thick

- Roof fan grille looks nothing like the real thing

- Roof hatches are too proud.

There are other compromises with the nose of the skirted 37/0 as well.

It could be argued that the above are "picky" and 10 years ago we would be happy with the current model but things evolve and the 37 is ripe for a revamp.

Edited by 37114

The 94xx is hardly big, and I don't see why it's any more difficult/expensive to do than the 64xx already made, or an all-new J72/G5/1P for that matter.

If Bachmann ever get to the stage that they can't produce an inside cylinder 0-6-0T at a price that won't scare off too many punters, I reckon it'll be game over. 

I know Bachmann cancelled the S15, but that was to avoid duplication with Hornby, and most of the really big tender locos have been covered by them already.

Having neglected to update the biggish tender locos they already made for far too long, Bachmann lost the Lord Nelson and many expect the Manor to go the same way imminently. If so, Bachmann will soon run out of well-known potential subjects with more than eight wheels. IMHO, they left the V2 longer than was prudent, too. 

Some serious strategic thinking is required at Barwell, I think, but their (apparent) geographical prejudices of the past may well have cost them dearly.

John

Sorry been a bit busy over the festive period to come back to this - but in essence I was agreeing with you. The 94xx is exactly the type of engine that Bachmann are likely to be looking at. My thoughts were that Bachmann had said that some big engines with all the detail would retail from them at a price that they thought would deter people. Quite where that would end up now, given the substantial price rises year on year for some time is another topic entirely.. one that's also been covered before.

While I think more medium size engines will follow from Bachmann, the question of where they will come from remains. I think they will still be pushing a lot of midland designs, with some pre-grouping things the odd LNWR or Lanchashire and Yorkshire engine slipping through to bolster the range of things done. As for others, I think Bachmann will still head south and might stave off the Manor, but the other obvious ones are the BR 2MT, 3MT and the NER P2/J27. Still, I think Bachmann will look past these as they have done over recent years - but as ever those would be the engines Id predict from Bachmann.

Just laying this out in its usual format:

Predictions:

1. BR 2MT - just needs body top doing, so can save time and still be spun as a new announcement. Chassis already done off the Ivatt 2MT. God only knows why not been done yet. In the public eye a lot more with 78018 into steam and 78019 into overhaul.
2. GWR Manor - possible duplication with Hornby but Bachmann announce new tooled manor. Problem will be that theirs could arrive a while after Hornby if the red box team have a step on them already.
3. Southern Railway Q class. - its medium and fits into the mid size engine that's polled well. Also continues Bachmanns move into Southern region territory, just like everyone else. Market saturation over products being brought in an issue when Bachmann price it a lot higher than offerings from other competitors? Probably.

Also rans:

J27 - excellent choice, widens Bachmanns portfiolio - wanted by many up north. Doubtless a good seller. Will they actually do it?
15xx - good choice popular given preserved examples operation at the moment.

94xx - good choice asked for a lot, still might slip through and not be followed up.
BR 3MT - would sell, popular engine to complete the BR moguls and leave 2MT if the smaller one was not announced. Will they actually do it?

NRM tie-ins:

Hardwicke - to match the pregrouping midland range that Bachmann is quietly doing for years. Would start with NRM but then enter Bachmann range later - that's the point.
SCER - D Class. Wanted following C Class, apparently. Might follow, but think the LNWR machine will win out.

Diesel:

Class 104. Plug away at another 2 car DMU model that fits into transition.
Reliveries into Blue and Green of class 47. Think its that turn again.
Still release class 08, 66 and Deltic despite competition.
Northern Rail purple 158 to be announced - god knows when it will turn up as it will be delayed given others announced. Theres a possibility it will come with the range of the others announced, personally that's exactly what I think Bachmann should do as other companies do. Make them all and release them.

What they should do - retooled and fully DCC Voyager to include meridian variant. But they wont.

Also rans - Desiro class 185 on the back of the EMUs that have been done. Would be popular, good seller. But they wont...

Stock:

JXA scrap wagon. Already planned so might be duplication.
Mk. 2s into Virgin Red and Black, More intercity swallow and Scotrail to follow.

Autoballasters to make a return.

Also rans - GWR syphon bogie wagon/coach. Western region observation saloon.

Those are my guesses. Will see what happens. I know Bachmann have delays and that much of it is related to the factory and changes in the market such as increased costs, but the price rise again will be steep, which is an issue when not much else looks to have had to do the same in products also made in the same area and sent here. Personally, I think there are many items in the Bachmann range that new companies will move into and make - the Deltic is just the start...

Edited by The Black Hat
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think a GW/WR Siphon G, gangwayed bogie van used for milk, general parcels/mails, and in dedicated branded circuit newspaper traffic, where the fold down shelves and corridor connections so that the sorters could access the toilets were useful.  They were ventilated and steam heated, and lasted at least until the 1980s on the newspaper traffic in blue livery.

An LMS design Class 11 diesel shunter would be nice; There were quite a few of them, they were reasonably widespread (being allocated to the ER as well as the LMR), and some survived into industrial use and of course preservation (so no problem getting the measurements, or indeed sound !)

• RMweb Gold

Based upon some research, I'd foresee the 94xx being on sale by Warley 2020. Prices are rising, and they would find parity in the latter half of this year. That would make it far easier to  sell the model, which we know has been on the cards for some time.

As for RRP, I wouldn't know how much, and I'm certainly not privy to the inner workings of Bachmann. But, I'd expect a value about the £145-odd mark. A lot of other models have hit through that value, and Bachmann are a business, after all.  There would be about 3-4 increases in RRP, which will bring it in line with the wider expectations of the market.

At least it's not too long to wait.

Ian.