Bachmann 2019 Speculation

piranha230

• RMweb Gold

Based upon some research, I'd foresee the 94xx being on sale by Warley 2020. Prices are rising, and they would find parity in the latter half of this year. That would make it far easier to  sell the model, which we know has been on the cards for some time.

As for RRP, I wouldn't know how much, and I'm certainly not privy to the inner workings of Bachmann. But, I'd expect a value about the £145-odd mark. A lot of other models have hit through that value, and Bachmann are a business, after all.  There would be about 3-4 increases in RRP, which will bring it in line with the wider expectations of the market.

At least it's not too long to wait.

Ian.

I could probably manage that price by then.  Well, given my determination to own this model, I'm almost bound to!  I agree that prices are rising, driven by the justifiable demands of the Chinese labour market whose low cost attracted the trade there in the first place.  But nobody has made any rational comparison re what the price, or product quality, would be had the process never moved to China, and I suspect that the Chinese are still going to be both cheaper and better for a long time to come...

...But nobody has made any rational comparison re what the price, or product quality, would be had the process never moved to China, and I suspect that the Chinese are still going to be both cheaper and better for a long time to come...

Dependent on the design choices obviously, but for equivalent product the run of estimates for European or North American manufacture are for a 3x - 4x retail price vs China. Rapido among others have commented on this quite recently.

The competiton for China in this sector is other developing countries. Toy manufacture is a classic starter industry for development, if capital is available. Start ups underway in Vietnam, and there are plenty more potential locations. A dekimtaminated North Korea would be another hot candidate.

An LMS design Class 11 diesel shunter would be nice; There were quite a few of them, they were reasonably widespread (being allocated to the ER as well as the LMR), and some survived into industrial use and of course preservation (so no problem getting the measurements, or indeed sound !)

............. and the Army, of course.

post-28941-0-77338200-1546511073_thumb.jpg

( Sorry about the photo quality - you should see the original ! )

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I could probably manage that price by then.  Well, given my determination to own this model, I'm almost bound to!  I agree that prices are rising, driven by the justifiable demands of the Chinese labour market whose low cost attracted the trade there in the first place.  But nobody has made any rational comparison re what the price, or product quality, would be had the process never moved to China, and I suspect that the Chinese are still going to be both cheaper and better for a long time to come...

The final quality would (I suggest) rest with Bachmann. By & large, they do strive to get the model spot-on. There's no real comparison to be had between any future release, and any hypothetical  history. 

From a purely personal perspective, Bachmann have missed (my) boat. That's not a fault of Bachmann, just mine. I have a full complement of Bachmann-based products to last well into my dotage. The only RTR I might want (crave for) are so 3x-niche, makes any producer wince at the very thought of tooling up for production.

So, best wishes to Bachmann. I've got a couple of LimLine 94's which I really, really need to finish off, and to scratch build my AND&JR big Barclays.

Happy modelling,

Ian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Those rebuilt TVR 'A' cravings troubling you again, Ian, and 5 coach set of Collett non-gangwayeds for it to pull...

I understand and sympathise.

Preaching to the congregation for me as well, John. I've got one finished, but I'm frightened to paint it. I can think of at least 10 models that would fit straight in to any GWR layout, and all long-lived examples.  The problem is that Bachmann have never heard of Wales, and I think Hornby have the same problem as well. Now the Severn Bridge tolls have been abolished, they might, just might, venture past Bristol. I blame the cartographers myself:- "Here be Dragons".

Now, I might ask around the parish if we  'can get made' a Western No 10 boiler. That lets us straight in for a whole host of Western amalgamated locomotives....

Hmmmm.

Happy modelling,

Ian.

Edited because I messed up my text. Apologies to anyone whom might be slightly miffed by my wittering.

Edited by tomparryharry

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't read too much into that.

Looks like a bog standard diesel with yellow end to me. Possibly a grey Class 37

Jason

Looks like a 24 or 25. Probably the long-awaited 24/1. Wait and see! I’m always wrong!

The shape round the buffer beam looks wrong for a 24/25. Much more like a 37, perhaps one of the Rep limited editions?

From the bottom upwards ( and some of this may not apply dependant on which 37/4 you have)

- Bogie footsteps are 2 dimensional

- Bogie brake cylinders are malnourished

- Bogies frames are too low and too wide

- No guard Irons

- Fuel tank supports not modelled

- the corner cut outs of the fuel tanks are too shallow

- Fuel tank pipework missing

- Jumper cable socket on buffer beam is a blob

- Trench around central grilles

- Windscreen surrounds lack representation of the window frames

- Windscreen pillars too thick

- Roof fan grille looks nothing like the real thing

- Roof hatches are too proud.

There are other compromises with the nose of the skirted 37/0 as well.

It could be argued that the above are "picky" and 10 years ago we would be happy with the current model but things evolve and the 37 is ripe for a revamp.

Thank you for taking the time to compile this list, there is no such thing as being too picky. We all must be fanatical about detail! 

But still, the current 37/4 looks and feels like a 37. Certainly sounds less omission of obvious detail and more a need to bring the already excellent model up to the standards we now expect. IE. Dapol 68. 

Let's see what is announced, as if they need to wow this year to regain their position in a enlarged market. 

I personally, would like to see new tool on previously unreleased models before we turn to re-tooling previous models. EG 185, 172, 195, 377 etc.

The shape round the buffer beam looks wrong for a 24/25. Much more like a 37, perhaps one of the Rep limited editions

Maybe I need a visit to Spec Savers - amazing how anyone can make out anything from that blurry image - but I'll go for a Rep 37 also........................ :jester:

Edited by tractor_37260

Since Hornby seem unlikely to go there, I'd love for it to be a Class 91 with a rake of Mk4s... I'm telling myself that the catenary was specifically shopped out to keep us all guessing! 

It would be a nice addition to the Class 90!

Edited by davidprentice
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Preaching to the congregation for me as well, John. I've got one finished, but I'm frightened to paint it. I can think of at least 10 models that would fit straight in to any GWR layout, and all long-lived examples.  The problem is that Bachmann have never heard of Wales, and I think Hornby have the same problem as well. Now the Severn Bridge tolls have been abolished, they might, just might, venture past Bristol. I blame the cartographers myself:- "Here be Dragons".

Now, I might ask Guy Rixon of this parish if he will 'do' a Western No 10 boiler. That lets us straight in for a whole host of Western amalgamated locomotives....

Hmmmm.

Happy modelling,

Ian.

Hornby have heard of Wales, though they have forgotten about it; the only RTR loco numbered for Tondu in my period is 2761.  But they got the livery wrong; they turned it out in unlined green 1942-8 G W R Egyptian serif whereas it was withdrawn and photographed at Swindon awaiting dismantling in 1950 in unlined black 1942-5 Caerphilly Works G W R plain 'grotesque' lettering austerity.  As the loco was painted at Caerphilly, it presumably carried the works' trade mark, a red reversing lever; mine does, though usually faces the wrong way for anyone to see it!

A no.10 boiler would be a boon to any GW/early WR period South Wales modeller.  Rebuilt Taff A, rebuilt Taff 04, rebuilt Rhymney S...