Bachmann 2019 Speculation

piranha230

Out of interest, searching through my 1957 Combined Volume, I found twenty locomotive classes with, then, fifty or more survivors that are yet to be made or announced as RTR models.  

There are none from the WR, and only one - the U 2-6-0, from the SR.

The old LMS offers the Fowler and Stanier 2-6-2Ts, the Johnson 0-6-0T, the Aspinall L&Y 3F 0-6-0, the Mackintosh Caledonian 0-4-4T and 0-6-0T, the Drummond Caledonian 2F 0-6-0, and the Midland 2F 0-6-0.

The LNER has the B16 4-6-0 (NER), the K2 2-6-0 (ScR), the J6 (GN), J17 (GE), J26 and J27 (NER), J35 and J37 (ScR), the N5 (ScR) and N15 0-6-2s, and the J69 0-6-0 (GE). 

Any one would be welcome from Bachmann.

Your filter does miss some significant classes: the Manor and A2/3 spring to mind.

• RMweb Gold

I do think that when it comes to 'everyday' engines, the bigger classes should jump the queue. On that basis, the LNWR DX Goods would win handily, but the last survivor disappeared in 1930, so not much chance of that.

IMO the most needed 0-6-0s are the J6 and J21/5/6/7 (I'd buy an NER 0-6-0 whatever) , so the five most significant LNER constituents each have one between them. I did think this was where Hornby was going with the J15 in 2015 and the J36 in 2017, but sadly not this year. Maybe we'll get one in 2020! I've always thought there should be a pattern, so that each year there's an 0-6-0, a small tank engine, a big 'headline' locomotive and possibly a D&E release (although the biggest gaps there are now in MUs).

At least if Bachmann does an NER 0-6-0 there'll likely be a pre-grouping option.

If the do a green Class 103 with speed whiskers shedded at Ryecroft I'll rob break the bank for one. I doubt if I will have the opportunity to buy one, even less so the Gloucester Twins sometimes describbed as Class 100.

On the steam side I will find it hard to resist if the do a Johnson 2F of a type that worked on the Harborne Branch or a Stanier 2-6-2T.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1

The class 90 90028 was named today at NRM York "Sir William McAlpine"  the livery is DB Schenker red in a high-gloss exhibition finish,  the connection to the late Sir William is 60103 which worked the down leg Kings Cross to York, and 90028 the return from  NRM  York. I predict a model of 90028 for the NRM or Bachmann collectors club

Edited by Pandora
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The class 90 90028 was named today at NRM York "Sir William McAlpine"  the livery is DB Schenker red in a high-gloss exhibition finish,  the connection of the late Sir William is 60103  and  the NRM  York. I predict a model of 90028 for the NRM or Bachmann collectors club

I was thinking and hoping the same earlier. I also hope that Bachmann announce some more Class 90s on Monday as part of their standard range. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Based on some announcements in recent years I suggest that it might be more meaningful to have counted the classes still existing in 1957 irrespective of them still having a minimum of 50 engines in service in 1957.  Manufacturers and commissioners seem to find it perfectly viable to produce models of a class which had only a few engines left running. By 1957 - I think 3 is probably the minimum but if you extend forward into the diesel age one company seems to have made a successful, and therefore repeated, habit of producing models of a class of one. 

But as ever with numbers it all depends what you are trying to prove ;)

1957 lets in the last Rhymney locomotives at Radyr, plus the last 4 Taff Vale class A, from Abercynon shed. Sorry, but I couldn't resist...

Ian.

It’s notable that Hornbys announcements contain prices and dates, although these can admittedly slide.......but not by 5 years (Class 158, class 90 must be heading that way )

Class 158 will turn 7 years in march and Class 170 turbostar will be 6. Class 90 I believe will be 5. Quite damning that it's so long ago we can't even remember the precise year.

Edited by bart2day

Out of interest, searching through my 1957 Combined Volume, I found twenty locomotive classes with, then, fifty or more survivors that are yet to be made or announced as RTR models.  

The old LMS offers the Fowler and Stanier 2-6-2Ts, the Johnson 0-6-0T, the Aspinall L&Y 3F 0-6-0, the Mackintosh Caledonian 0-4-4T and 0-6-0T, the Drummond Caledonian 2F 0-6-0, and the Midland 2F 0-6-0.

The LNER has the B16 4-6-0 (NER), the K2 2-6-0 (ScR), the J6 (GN), J17 (GE), J26 and J27 (NER), J35 and J37 (ScR), the N5 (ScR) and N15 0-6-2s, and the J69 0-6-0 (GE). 

Any one would be welcome from Bachmann

Edited by Robin Brasher

Class 158 will turn 7 years in march and Class 170 turbostar will be 6. Class 90 I believe will be 5. Quite damning that it's so long ago we can't even remember the precise year.

When you think of it like that, Monday's announcement is actually totally irrelevant.

I don't care what might be available in 7 years, it's morbid to say this but in 7 years I might be dead! What I want to know is what will be available this year and next year. Save any thing that might come later for another years announcement.

The current situation with Bachmann is that t these announcements aren't really for our benefit, after all nothing actually comes our way for years, no the announcements are aimed at Hornby etc, the fact they tell us too is a mere coincidence!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

When you think of it like that, Monday's announcement is actually totally irrelevant.

I don't care what might be available in 7 years, it's morbid to say this but in 7 years I might be dead! What I want to know is what will be available this year and next year. Save any thing that might come later for another years announcement.

The current situation with Bachmann is that t these announcements aren't really for our benefit, after all nothing actually comes our way for years, no the announcements are aimed at Hornby etc, the fact they tell us too is a mere coincidence!

Bachmann’s accumulated delays on new tooling models has left them in a difficult position. If they wanted to limit new tooling announcements to the year the model would be available would probably mean few if any new announcements for two or three years. That’s not really very good for business.

However, when it comes to new liveries on existing models, I really don’t see why they cannot be produced in the year they are announced. Producing the livery drawing in time for the booked production slot is in Bachmann’s hands, not China’s, so only if the livery sample is wrong should there be any delay.

With the greatest of respect I fail to see how the yearly proclamation of over optimistic and often eventually forgotten or broken promises from Bachmann is good for business. How much current stock is sold can hardly be influenced by the fact that each year they say they will make xxx only for xxx never to arrive.

Far better for business I'd have thought if on Monday they said no new models announced this year but but in feb the class 90 is out, in april the 24, in June the crane, in August the 158..etc

The usual hot air/fancy pixels of Monday's announcement won't get a penny out of my bank account, but a class 90 in the shops would relieve me of a lot of hard earned.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

94xx is 6 years.  And counting...

Any one would be welcome from Bachmann.

Not great on Southern stuff but there is another attractive mogul which I think was a K class, maybe LB&SCR or SE&CR, and I think a more handsome design than the "U".

Surely though Henry Fowler's "Austin 7" class 74 should be in the listing somewhere. Admittedly black or black or black with LMS or BR numbers

I was logging on to make a comment about the Turbostar only be announced last year, not six years ago. And for the ones with short memories, the class 158 was re-announced in 2016/2017 as a totally new model, as opposed to the 2012/2013 announcement. But... then... I looked at a few retailers, what is interesting is that they have listed under 'forthcoming releases' 197-202 Bachmann OO items! That is a staggering figure before you add more on Monday and weigh in their reported factory move. Seeing as Bachmann's MD was quoted in the press a few years ago that his team can develop nine models at a time (ok, this was in relation to new tooling - but still, there is more than nine, but less than 197 new toolings still to do), I suspect we have some years yet to wait for all models announced to be released. 

So, as much as I would like to see a new (2014/16) FNA Flask, MXA Lobster, Mk2F TSO, BSO & DBSO in DRS, Mk2F RFM Network Rail PLPR, 90024 and an Electrostar. I would rather have models already promised, delivered in the next 18 months and then think about what I would like to buy next. After all it is a hobby, if there is no model to buy, I spend my money on other interests.  

Do not get me wrong, Bachmann produce some fine models and the new tool class 90s and 158s look especially tidy. But I would respect an announcement to announce there is no announcement and they are focusing on delivery. (Unless secretly this year they have been working on several new tools and all now are at EP or livery stage to show off on Monday - that would impress me. But a photo of a prototype, won't.)

It's getting really wearing hearing you bang the same drum, week in, week out; you're not even correct - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96640-Bachmann-branchline-announcements-for-20156/

Approaching the 4 year mark without a single EP is remarkable though, isn't it? 

Edited by County of Yorkshire