Bachmann 2019 Speculation

piranha230

• RMweb Premium

There seems to be a lot of clamering for retools of quite recent models from both the same and other manufacturers where little more than a revisit to correct minor issues if at all is warranted whilst other subjects more worthy of attention are ignored.

I find this very odd indeed...

Whilst I agree, perhaps people are asking now because the models concerned will be due for an upgrade by the time they appear...

Even more clever would be to sell the centre cars of the Hampshire demus separately so owners of the Kernow 2 car sets can update their models.

I can see how that would make excellent sense from your perspective, but how on earth is it "clever" for Bachmann to forgo a sale of 3 carriages in exchange for 1?

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can see how that would make excellent sense from your perspective, but how on earth is it "clever" for Bachmann to forgo a sale of 3 carriages in exchange for 1?

Paul

I never understood why Bachmann/Kernow didn’t offer the center car in the first place. They could have marketed both the 2 and 3 car sets and cleaned up.

There might be more resistance to buying full 3 coach sets if folk already have 2 car ones. Bachmann would know the production figures, but the people with 2 car sets are probably those keenest on thumpers in general so probably more likely to buy more.

I'd have thought class 101 could do with a centre car being tooled up too

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I never understood why Bachmann/Kernow didn’t offer the center car in the first place. They could have marketed both the 2 and 3 car sets and cleaned up.

Well I suppose you might think that but worth considering that the Thumper units have been passed on to other retailers for sale.

No one wants stock hanging around on shelves for too long,do they ? The production of an alternative 3 car unit would only further dilute the demand and cause unwanted complication.Kernow are constantly moving on in the promotion and development of new commissions in any case.Cleaned up ? Maybe. But there are limits to capital expenditures with uncertainty of return.

There might be more resistance to buying full 3 coach sets if folk already have 2 car ones. Bachmann would know the production figures, but the people with 2 car sets are probably those keenest on thumpers in general so probably more likely to buy more.

I'd have thought class 101 could do with a centre car being tooled up too

Class 101 centre car would be most welcome, but the question is, would Bachmann correct the saloon window/saloon door droplights alignment or just produce the centre car with the same error?

Their 101 could have been a real gem judging by the earlier 108, but unfortunately it never lived up to its full potential. I still got one though as my Lima 2 car set wasn’t without its problems either.

Here we go again with speculation for 2019.

I personally think Bachmann should unlock the potential of their new mk2 air cons. Current liveried DRS, Scotrail (Solitaire), West Coast would be a good start for the upto date modeller. Maybe Scotrail, the single NSE example for the 80’s/90’s modeller. And also Virgin Trains, Anglia and Arriva for the noughties modeller.

Or they could do some very interesting train packs.

As far as new products are concerned are we going to see much, as with the recent factory move they still have much to do on previously announced models.

I do think that they could “box clever” and make the centre car for the class 205 (and only sell it as a 3 car pack), which would much increase sales of their Hampshire units.

Good shout on the Mk2's, i'd expect to I/C Swallow with CDL's at some point to match the already produced RFO.

they couldn't do the only NSE one accurately as the haven't done the FK variant yet and they coaches they have produced are Mk2F not 2D

Whatever Bachmann Announce in the coming month, we can expect to see a CAD in about six years

Sad but true!.....They seem in the last few years to have a permanent  backlog of models announced. Having said that the other suffer from this the class 43 warship class 29 being an examples.

• RMweb Gold

Whatever Bachmann Announce in the coming month, we can expect to see a CAD in about six years

There is a (well relatively), easy solution for Bachmann and that is to do the same thing that Hornby did when bringing out the 2BIL. If Bachmann were to have a new model up their sleeve which gets produced before the Chinese New Year it would kill much of this negative reputation that they have at present regarding production delays. I certainly gained the impression that under the previous senior manager they simply 'booked' prototypes to scare off the competition. The major manufacturers - perhaps we should really refer to them as 'commissioners' - cannot afford to do that now with the entrance of the new small and nimble commissioners to the hobby.

Happy New Year everybody and that very much includes the teams at Hornby and Bachmann!

all the best

Godfrey

Well it could also depend on what "rep limited editions" are coming in the future too, l was disappointed in last years announcement that there was no new 47s especially an intercity/mainline!! Then hey presto the reps bring out 47832 ...... Same with a departmental grey 37..... Then reps bring one out. I would like a freightliner grey 47 and an original freight grey 47...... Cue none in catalogue but reps later in year hopefully......... Oh and a sealed beam 45 or leave it to accurascale to do a proper job of it.

.......... I certainly gained the impression that under the previous senior manager they simply 'booked' prototypes to scare off the competition. The major manufacturers - perhaps we should really refer to them as 'commissioners' - cannot afford to do that now with the entrance of the new small and nimble commissioners to the hobby.  ......

Indeed, the state of delays on announced Bachmann items is such that IF they announce new items in 2019 there will be a certain temptation for the "small and nimble commissioners" to steal them from beneath Bachmann's collective noses !

In your experience of buying Bachmann models what do you think the likelihood of their D16 10001 coming out this year? Especially given the factory delay...

Was told February when I spoke to someone from Bachmann at a stall at Ally Pally last year, guessing that's unlikely...

https://www.hattons.co.uk/337568/Bachmann_Branchline_31_998_Class_D16_10001_in_BR_black_with_early_emblem/StockDetail.aspx

The WH Davis 2014 build of FNA.

MXA Lobster Box.

Both great suggestions, both would be exceptionally useful for modern modellers.

Additionally, could we have DRS Mk2Fs and Network Rail PLPR coaches?

The latest livery in the 57/3 would be good too, though would the complex nature mean a limited edition?

If talking about limited editions, the Malcolm Rail 90024 would be staggering. Yet this, and a SWT 159 shall likely be for 2019?

Pipe dream would be a Bachmann retooled 66, with the ability to fit the current body onto an upgraded super detailed chassis. As I do not want to let go of my tube map 66.

• RMweb Premium

In your experience of buying Bachmann models what do you think the likelihood of their D16 10001 coming out this year? Especially given the factory delay...

Was told February when I spoke to someone from Bachmann at a stall at Ally Pally last year, guessing that's unlikely...

https://www.hattons.co.uk/337568/Bachmann_Branchline_31_998_Class_D16_10001_in_BR_black_with_early_emblem/StockDetail.aspx

Don't rely on Hattons listings as a guide to Bachmann or Farish delivery schedules.  They have had some sort of falling out hence why Hattons have had no deliveries from Bachmann or updated any delivery schedules since early November.

Check Bachmann's availability listing for better info here: https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/availability/ 

• RMweb Gold

Don't rely on Hattons listings as a guide to Bachmann or Farish delivery schedules.  They have had some sort of falling out hence why Hattons have had no deliveries from Bachmann or updated any delivery schedules since early November.

Check Bachmann's availability listing for better info here: https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/availability/ 

I was told by my local dealer that indeed Hatton’s and Bachmann have fallen out big time over the Class 66. From what I was told, in the supply agreement between any retailer and Bachmann, you are not allowed to produce something Bachmann already produce, eg the Class 66 or Bachmann will refuse to supply them. They were happy to go along with Hatton’s own models as Bachmann didn’t produce them in any scale but the proverbial hit the fan when Hatton’s announced the Class 66.

• RMweb Premium

Has that feel of toys being tossed out of prams. All quite silly really.

Never mind, other retailers are available and I am exploring a few recommendations.

Edited by John M Upton

• RMweb Gold

Has that feel of toys being tossed out of prams. All quite silly really.

Never mind, other retailers are available and I am exploring a few recommendations.

Also, if not resolved, Hatton's would have nothing to lose by "picking off" other existing Bachmann models that might be considered "venerable and vulnerable" ... 

The industry is changing rapidly and large retailers may be better placed to anticipate the market than those who "only" supply them. Manufacturing is, in most cases, no longer the direct remit of those we often still call manufacturers, so what is the real difference, where new models are concerned?  

They are all really commissioners, now. Even Bachmann UK, whose tie to a single producer may actually be a handicap.   

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

New tooling:

Class 101 power twin and centre cars

DCC-ready parallel boiler Royal Scot

LMS Stanier 50' kitchen car

LNWR brake van

Reliveries:

150/1 in Silverlink with First Great Western branding

150/2 in Provincial livery

If Bachmann wants to bring out a pre-grouping loco my guess would be an ex-GCR N5 0-6-2T to complete its Big Four line-up of 0-6-2Ts. Or, they could announce an ex-NBR N15 0-6-2T to capitalise on their "Scottish" D11.

• Like 2