Bachmann 2019 Speculation

piranha230

• RMweb Gold

hopeful Bachmann will do another 3 class 90 virgin, EWS, DB Red or drs, firstscott rail, or  BR RED mail freight  so many choices with the class 90

Especially EWS or DBC. Was one ever done in DB Schenker?

hopeful Bachmann will do another 3 class 90 virgin, EWS, DB Red or drs, firstscott rail, or  BR RED mail freight  so many choices with the class 90  

The "Malcolm" liveried one would be nice.  Would test how good they can paint a model.  Hornby have managed to do a Settle & Carlisle 156, Class 91 in Battle of Britain and Harry Patch.

I was told by my local dealer that indeed Hatton’s and Bachmann have fallen out big time over the Class 66. From what I was told, in the supply agreement between any retailer and Bachmann, you are not allowed to produce something Bachmann already produce, eg the Class 66 or Bachmann will refuse to supply them. They were happy to go along with Hatton’s own models as Bachmann didn’t produce them in any scale but the proverbial hit the fan when Hatton’s announced the Class 66.

Seems to have been a long time between Hattons announcing the 66 and Bachmanns lack of supply for that to be the case. More recently Hattons have started offering their own models to other shops and that could equally be the issue - that Kader/Bachmann will not supply a competing manufacturer.

Edited by Butler Henderson

Seems to have been a long time between Hattons announcing the 66 and Bachmanns lack of supply for that to be the case. More recently Hattons have started offering their own models to other shops and that could equally be the issue - that Kader/Bachmann will not supply a competing manufacturer,

Bachmann will lose if they start a fight with Hattons as they have the turnover to commission model runs from the new manufacturing company's directly and the customer base who use them as the first port of call on the web. It will cost Bachmanns big in volume sales but might be good the the smaller model shop. Bachmann may decided to go down the direct sales route via the web but that doesn't seem to have worked to well for Hornby. On a side note has Hornby/Airfix put out of Toy Galaxy?

B   

• RMweb Premium

Because of the teddy tossing between Hattons and Bachmann I have moved my Farish preorders elsewhere.  I do not want to be caught up in someone else's mess.

Edited by John M Upton

Bachmann will lose if they start a fight with Hattons as they have the turnover to commission model runs from the new manufacturing company's directly and the customer base who use them as the first port of call on the web. It will cost Bachmanns big in volume sales but might be good the the smaller model shop. Bachmann may decided to go down the direct sales route via the web but that doesn't seem to have worked to well for Hornby. On a side note has Hornby/Airfix put out of Toy Galaxy?

B

Hattons have their own manufacturing factory now in China so they don't even have to commission all the time now.

Because of the teddy tossing between Hattons and Bachmann I have moved my Farish preorders elsewhere. I do not want to be caught up in someone else's mess.

I did the same, Model Railways direct are now my box shifter of choice.

• RMweb Gold

B

How on earth are Bachmann/Kader going to lose a fight with Hatton’s? Bachmann are a global brand with fingers in many, many pies where as Hatton’s are a well established model shop who have since started down the manufacturing road. I have to say comments like that are quite frankly idiotic. Edited by jools1959

How on earth are Bachmann/Kader going to lose a fight with Hatton’s? Bachmann are a global brand with fingers in many, many pies where as Hatton’s are a well established model shop who have since started down the manufacturing road. I have say comments like that are quite frankly idiotic.

Hatton's have been going for over seventy years.

They've seen most manufacturers come and go including both Hornby and Bachmann's predecessors....

Jason

• Like 1

How on earth are Bachmann/Kader going to lose a fight with Hatton’s? Bachmann are a global brand with fingers in many, many pies where as Hatton’s are a well established model shop who have since started down the manufacturing road. I have say comments like that are quite frankly idiotic.

Simple.....Hattons control access to a major amount of their customer base in the UK and world wide for UK stock.

Bachmann can manufacture what they like but they have to get it to the customer to realize the profit. Unlike you, anybody with modicome of common sense at Bachmann will see a fight with Hattons will cost them more money than the worth of a single class of diesel......They won't pullout of supplying Hattons without out making a plan and that will take time.

This will blow over as it doesn't make commercial sense for either party

B

B

Simple.....Hattons control access to a major amount of their customer base in the UK and world wide for UK stock.

Bachmann can manufacture what they like but they have to get it to the customer to realize the profit. Unlike you, anybody with modicome of common sense at Bachmann will see a fight with Hattons will cost them more money than the worth of a single class of diesel......They won't pullout of supplying Hattons without out making a plan and that will take time.

B

B

I agree it will blow over but frankly unless someone only shops with Hattons, which is pretty unlikely, then I'll wager Bachmann won't lose a sale. All that will happen is other retailers with a large presence will make more sales.

• RMweb Gold

Seems to be a UK thing, Bachmann supply Walthers in the US and they manufacture and wholesale all kinds of stuff on a vast scale.

I dont see any winner in this fight.

Hattons must be a balance sheet altering Bachmann UK customer.

Similarly Hattons sell Bachmann worldwide, and those customers wont easily switch orders.

Whilst other retailers can supply Bachmann gaps, often the price or the additional payload box filler stuff that gets shupped with a Hattons pre-order may not be available.

I dont see it as a 1-2-1 switching of orders. There will be some loss of sale.

Consumers need both Bachmann and Hattons., they dont need a feud.

B

B

No, I dont think thats correct, Hattons are hardly an exclusive importer of Bachmann models so while they provide access to purchase models, they hardly 'control' the market. If purchasers are looking for Bachmann models and they're not in stock at Hattons, they will just go to another shop that does so Hattons competitors will probably see an increase in orders. I'd be surprised if Bachmann saw any difference in sales with this conflict

• RMweb Premium

It’s a tricky one to be sure. I can’t see this damaging Bachmann financially as people will simply move their orders elsewhere . It might damage them in terms of reputation if they appear to be bullying, but at the end of the day bring out a model people want and they will still buy it, just not through Hattons.

I think it’s more damaging for Hattons, it must be impacting their turnover. Not just OO of course but Graham Farish in N . I do wish Hattons well though and hope it can be resolved . After all Hattons are the enthusiasts friend by offering us discounts and bringing out new super detailed models at reasonable prices . I’m really not keen on any action that seeks to reduce discounts or variety of models being offered to us , the end customer.

• Like 1

No, I dont think thats correct, Hattons are hardly an exclusive importer of Bachmann models so while they provide access to purchase models, they hardly 'control' the market. If purchasers are looking for Bachmann models and they're not in stock at Hattons, they will just go to another shop that does so Hattons competitors will probably see an increase in orders. I'd be surprised if Bachmann saw any difference in sales with this conflict

I'm not saying Hattons are the " exclusive importer" or "control the market" but they are the biggest bulk purchaser of Bachmann products in the UK and can't be easily replaced quickly and that threats not to supply them with stock will considerably  hurt Bachmann financially. Hattons and possibly Rails are the only UK retailers who could stand up to any of the manufacturers and not bow down to pressure. I think the development of retailers producing their own label products is a great thing for railway modelers which drives up standards of products that the major manufacturers offer. The question Bachmann should ask is why Hattons have decided to produce a loco that clashes with the main Bachmann range?

Bachmann won't stop supplying Hattons but they properly would if this was a mid level retailer.

B  

It’s a tricky one to be sure. I can’t see this damaging Bachmann financially as people will simply move their orders elsewhere . It might damage them in terms of reputation if they appear to be bullying, but at the end of the day bring out a model people want and they will still buy it, just not through Hattons.

I think it’s more damaging for Hattons, it must be impacting their turnover. Not just OO of course but Graham Farish in N . I do wish Hattons well though and hope it can be resolved . After all Hattons are the enthusiasts friend by offering us discounts and bringing out new super detailed models at reasonable prices . I’m really not keen on any action that seeks to reduce discounts or variety of models being offered to us , the end customer.

I agree with your logic but I'm not entirely convinced. I've often been tempted in the past with the odd extra loco or coach or wagon etc. from Bachmann whilst browsing Hattons' site for other products. Over the years that must mount up to some substantial sales and I doubt I'm alone in that.

• Like 1

I'm not saying Hattons are the " exclusive importer" or "control the market" but they are the biggest bulk purchaser of Bachmann products in the UK and can't be easily replaced quickly and that threats not to supply them with stock will considerably  hurt Bachmann financially.

Probably not. Any stock "destined for Hattons" will get absorbed into that available for other retailers. Consumers not being able to source the latest Bachmann "Must Have" from Hattons will look elsewhere, and "elsewhere" now has that stock. It ultimately hurts Hattons more than Bachmann.

Probably true and I agree about the "must haves". Its the reduced sales of the "oh go on then" variety which I think may hurt Bachmann. Hattons are always my first online port of call for railways simply by having (imo) the best site. Used to be a dedicated rails customer but their site functionality irritates. The must haves I'll get elsewhere if have to, but I'll end up buying less Bachmann overall.

Edited by Ragtag

• RMweb Gold

Probably not. Any stock "destined for Hattons" will get absorbed into that available for other retailers. Consumers not being able to source the latest Bachmann "Must Have" from Hattons will look elsewhere, and "elsewhere" now has that stock. It ultimately hurts Hattons more than Bachmann.

A couple of shops have mentioned they have had a happy christmas.

After all discount restrictions across a large section of the market by several suppliers mean their margins have jumped, and supply restrictions at one of the nations largest retailers have given those smaller retailers a chance to place a second order too.

Nice holidays in 2019 ?

I think its the consumer thats getting hurt.

Ignoring locos and coaches for a minute, i cannot think of any other retailer with as wide variety of permanently in stock accessories, spares and scenics as Hattons... indeed most retailers dont even list this stuff on their websites and all too often secure it to order, at rrp.

We consumers need Hattons, especially those of us without a high street shop.

Manufacturers need them too, who else is prepaid to buy palletts of unsold lingering stock in bulk, and hang on to it for years... Hattons is their get out of jail free card.

The threat to manufacturers is the small set ups making new comissions in bulk batches.

Both Hattons and Bachmann can survive without each other, but Hattons can and would do well to team up with those small start ups... Bachmann may find it slower / longer to realise a sale of existing stocks but long term neither is a loser, just the consumer.

Edited by adb968008