Harolds Gate

Capitan Cripple

Hi Guys my Name is Ross and I wanted to document my layout dreams and share them with you guys!

I have been modelling since I was 6 years old and just finished the purchase of my house! This means its model railway time, but this time I will do it the way I wanted to when I was a child

I am currently building a large outbuilding for the project codenamed "Harolds Gate" I hope this to be finished by Feb.

I have been planning the layout for two years now and cant wait to get started, I already have a large collection of Locos and rolling stock!

The Plan:

Name - Harolds Gate - This is inspired by my late grandfathers name Harold as he was the reason I loved modelling.

Era - BR Sectorisation in the late 80s early 90's

Location - Based around Reading & Outer London near the ECM - I am from Reading and grew up there so I have many memories! I also took alot of inspiration from Everard Junction!

Stock - Diesel locomotives and DMUs of the period such as Class 50's, 47's ect...

Control - DCC ESU ECoS Control Station

Track - Peco code 75 and Bullhead

Track Plan - The layout is a large 12 Metre by 9 Metre and will be housed in a purpose-built builiding on my property. There is a large fiddle yard one end aswell as a large Station on one of the 12M sides (Inspired by Dean Parks Station)

post-35755-0-66808000-1545228912_thumb.jpg

Out Building - A large wooden structure fully insulated with velux windows.

10hnjm9.jpg

I really want you guys to help with opinions and knowledge as I have been blown away with how amazing the community is! I have always been a closet modeller and was heavily bullied at School because of my love for trains!

Edited by Capitan Cripple
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Like it welcome along Captain! Oh looks like this is gonna be a good un. Oh for a railway room, I have to occupy the garage for a few hours at a time! Before my wife’s car has to return indoors.

I follow Everard Jn and Dean Pk way to. Nice track plan.

Good Luck with it Ross.

Cheers

Ade

Edited by AdeMoore
  • Like 1

Like it welcome along Captain! Oh looks like this is gonna be a good un. Oh for a railway room, I have to occupy the garage for a few hours at a time! Before my wife’s car has to return indoors.

I follow Everard Jn and Dean Pk way to. Nice track plan.

Hi mate,

Thanks for that! :)

My wife married me knowing this was going to happen at some point! haha.

That looks ambitious. It would create a lot of interesting train movements but it looks difficult to operate.

I have not seen much of Dean Park, but consider the original Everard Junction. There was a lot of good work in this but I appreciate Richard's decision for re-starting it, especially seeing how the successor is progressing.

Building a complex layout is an itch which most of just can't resist scratching. I hope you enjoy building it.

• Like 1

That's a seriously ambitious scheme for a first layout, and I am very envious of the amount of room you are creating for your dreams!

Others have already started to comment on your earlier thread, so I'll try to not repeat them. From that I note that the squares on your plan are on a metre grid - I am more used to seeing one in feet, so it is odd trying to interpret the spaces you have allotted each area. I am pleased to see you have allowed plenty of access space top and bottom, with the plan being around 12m x 6m in a 12m x 9m building, but I am worried about the width of your fiddle yard, which, at over a metre, will be a considerable stretch if anything on the rearmost tracks needs attention.

It's probably me, but I can't really trace the various circuits that you have created, with their multi colours; some of them look as if the direction of travel isn't consistent, but I have to admit that I am not au fait with modern practice and lots of bi-directional running. This confusion is compounded by the obvious differences in levels, particularly on the green tracks, which have some peculiar crossings.

I'd be inclined to sort out the various routes that you want in a simplified form, and then elaborate on the layouts for the main Harold's Gate station and Bocca Junction, which currently looks a bit odd. Once these parameters are established then consideration of the layouts and locations for the TMD and the carriage sidings might add to the operational flexibility and realism. As others have suggested, start with one of the basic circuits to get something running, as this is obviously going to be a long term project. I'm just jealous!

Not sure whether to envy you or fear for you, because that is a whopper space to use on your own, and I think there is a danger that you might trap yourself into something that becomes a right bind to construct, then a right bind to keep in good running order. I've thought about "how big?", and even in 0 I wouldn't go above double-garage size as a one person project.

That having been said, if you have a lot of otherwise spare time, and the sort of nature that allows you to stick at one thing, and see it through, this could become really wonderful.

Maybe start simple, though, a circuit of double-track, then build-up complexity gradually.

Gppd luck!

Kevin

PS: Better still, start a model railway club to help you. That's effectively what Mega-Space-Mister-Waterman has done.

Edited by Nearholmer

Not sure whether to envy you or fear for you, because that is a whopper space to use on your own, and I think there is a danger that you might trap yourself into something that becomes a right bind to construct, then a right bind to keep in good running order. I've thought about "how big?", and even in 0 I wouldn't go above double-garage size as a one person project.

That having been said, if you have a lot of otherwise spare time, and the sort of nature that allows you to stick at one thing, and see it through, this could become really wonderful.

Maybe start simple, though, a circuit of double-track, then build-up complexity gradually.

Gppd luck!

Kevin

PS: Better still, start a model railway club to help you. That's effectively what Mega-Space-Mister-Waterman has done.

Thanks Kevin,

I understand what an undertaking it is, and being only 27 and blessed with such a great family and job I am able to take this on! Even if it takes me 15 years! 

I have a deep passion for this hobby and I have not got bored of it yet!

I think the idea of starting a club is actually a pretty good one I had not actually considered. Thanks!

Just to be clear guys I have had other layouts before this one too! But they where in my parents loft and my spare room.

• RMweb Premium

Welcome aboard Captain.

Excellent choice of period for the layout if surprising considering your age. If you take a look at my layout threads here you'll see mine are around the same time. I'm currently in the process of building a 'new' Exford Park in a 16 foot x 10 foot shed which I thought was big!

I grew up in Basingstoke but spent an awful lot of time sat on the end of platform 5 at Reading in the early 1980s spotting, particularly the Class 50s!

Through RMweb over the last 10 years or so I have made lots of very good friends who now help me exhibit Tidworth, if you want to maybe join us when we meet up, I'm sure we can find room for one more.

Looking forward to following your build.

• Like 1

Hi Ian,

Yes it is a bit rare, most guys my age want to do a modern image layout, but I feel there is a magic about the 1980s and 90s I want to capture in my builds.

I have already been speaking with some great guys and I really enjoy the passion on this forum.

as for your layout and joining you thanks souch for that. Sounds great, I need to give my locos a run out!