Likelyhood of an O Gauge Class 14?

Night Train

With Heljan's continuing releases of small UK diesels, and following on from their successful (and delightful) OO gauge version; what are the chances of Heljan producing a Class 14 in O gauge? I expect such a loco would prove popular and likely be somewhat more detailed than the DJH offering.

• RMweb Premium

A class 14 was rumored a couple of years ago, the story was that a retailer vetoed it as having poor sales potential.....so they got the class 05 and 'Falcon' instead! Just a matter of time I suspect.

Dava

A class 14 was rumored a couple of years ago, the story was that a retailer vetoed it as having poor sales potential.....so they got the class 05 and 'Falcon' instead! Just a matter of time I suspect.

Dava

As I mentioned before... How can a retailer know whether an Eastern Region locomotive suitable for smaller micro layouts and with plenty of preserved examples for reference compared to a single engine mainly only seen in a small section of the Western Region and struggles to sell. It is also the only model despite heavy discounting there are still large numbers on Ebay, and most large model shops and even Heljan couldn't shift all their stock at Telford at the Guildex show.

I don't know who or when people were polled but I know plenty of people who a) didn't buy falcon b) had no intention of purchasing falcon c) had a class 14 been available would have purchased multiple models.

• RMweb Premium

The new Heljan 03 looks like being around the £300 mark - so presumably Heljan aren’t willing (or able) to match Dapol/Minerva pricing.

I am of course speculating but at those levels - assuming the 14 wouldn’t be even more - don’t think it would have sold anything like well enough.

Doesn’t mean someone else won’t have a crack though.

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Gold

If Heljan do a 14 I hope it's a bit more robust than the OO version, those steps in particular are very fragile. The whole loco has the feel of a plastic kit that has been assembled in the factory rather than being supplied on sprues!

I'd build a DJH one in a heartbeat if it wasn't so flippin expensive. I would not expect Heljan to charge much less though .....

If Heljan do a 14 I hope it's a bit more robust than the OO version, those steps in particular are very fragile. The whole loco has the feel of a plastic kit that has been assembled in the factory rather than being supplied on sprues!

I'd build a DJH one in a heartbeat if it wasn't so flippin expensive. I would not expect Heljan to charge much less though .....

I don’t think you would be saying that you would build one every again once you did build a DJH as I have heard there are a pig to construct.