Experiment of North Western Proportions

Originally, I was intending to recreate the LNWR 19in Express Goods 4-6-0, but I couldn't find the right chassis. Instead, after much careful planning and thinking, I decided to instead go for the LNWR Whale Experiment Class 4-6-0 as the only decent chassis that I had was the Hornby B12.

LNWRStephenson-2052.jpg

What I intend to do is order an LNWR G2A body complete with tender but no loco chassis as well as a Hornby China B12 Chassis. The running plate at the front will need extending, but an extended one from a broken loco would suffice (you guessed it - from a Hornby B12). The running plate will also be modified to take the B12 Chassis and several modifications will be made. Here are several examples of this engine I found courtesy of the Railways of Warwickshire website.

lnwrcov3734.jpg

lnwrk2042.jpg

lnwr_tam3145.jpg

lnwr_shil1114.jpg

lnwr_bulk1129.jpg

Yes, I know the engines all carried names, but I won't naming it as I am just gonna stick with the Belpaire firebox and the LMS crimson livery that it would've carried. Besides, I still have the 19in Express Goods still stuck in my mind and it is the closest I am ever going to get with the model recreation because the B12 boiler is too large and would make it look rather out of proportion kinda like an HO Scale model.

Wish me luck on this one!

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Originally, I was intending to recreate the LNWR 19in Express Goods 4-6-0, but I couldn't find the right chassis. Instead, after much careful planning and thinking, I decided to instead go for the LNWR Whale Experiment Class 4-6-0 as the only decent chassis that I had was the Hornby B12.

Yes, I know the engines all carried names, but I won't naming it as I am just gonna stick with the Belpaire firebox and the LMS crimson livery that it would've carried. Besides, I still have the 19in Express Goods still stuck in my mind and it is the closest I am ever going to get with the model recreation because the B12 boiler is too large and would make it look rather out of proportion kinda like an HO Scale model.

Wish me luck on this one!

The Belpaire-boilered engine in the last photo is a 19" goods.

Interesting project - I recall sketching out an Experiment on a Triang B12 chassis when I was a teenager but it didn't get any further. Using the G2A makes life easier, probably. Mostly nice simple shapes. Have you joined the LNWR Society Facebook group? Plenty of photos posted of LNW engines with Belpaire boilers in LMS days. I'm wondering, though, if any were given these boilers early enough to receive the 1923-1928 red livery? For rebuilds after 1928, they would have been black. I'm pretty sure there were quite a few Experiments that never made it into red - Crewe was in no hurry to adopt the new livery.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Premium

This is exactly what GEM did in the 1960s with their Experiment kit - put a B12 (old type) chassis under a whitemetal kit body and tender.

Would you not be better off finding an old GEM kit?

Tony 

LNWR18901910 said he wanted the Belpaire-boilered version. But, on further digging, I'm not sure any Experiments were give Belpaire boilers - only the Prince of Wales class; equally do-able from his starting materials, if not easier, I'd say. 

This is exactly what GEM did in the 1960s with their Experiment kit - put a B12 (old type) chassis under a whitemetal kit body and tender.

Tony 

I would agree that you would be better of seeking a GEM kit if you want an Experiment. They pop up from time to time on ebay.and other specialst auction sites such as Vectis.

LNWR18901910 said he wanted the Belpaire-boilered version. But, on further digging, I'm not sure any Experiments were give Belpaire boilers - only the Prince of Wales class; equally do-able from his starting materials, if not easier, I'd say. 

The Bachmann G2Alo has the extended smokebox and would probably suit a POW better. 

Although I have never attempted a RTR "bash"  of any sort, this seems to be a lot more work than building a GEM kit for either loco.

Tony 

Well, to be honest, I really did try to find one but they're hard to come by. So, maybe I should stick with the 19in Express Goods - what do you think? Sorry for getting myself all wishy-washy.

Well, to be honest, I really did try to find one but they're hard to come by. So, maybe I should stick with the 19in Express Goods - what do you think? Sorry for getting myself all wishy-washy.

Brassmasters did both and could well still have stock if you ask them.  I got a Precursor through that route but got an Experiment via eBay.  I'm still toying with the idea of a 19in Goods at some point.

IIRC the footplate of the Bachmann G2 is Mazak and that of the B12 plastic (I think - the old one certainly was).  Using the latter to extend the Mazak would be a challange for most of us, in fact doing any extension work on a Mazak footplate would be quie difficult I think

Tony

IIRC the footplate of the Bachmann G2 is Mazak and that of the B12 plastic (I think - the old one certainly was).  Using the latter to extend the Mazak would be a challange for most of us, in fact doing any extension work on a Mazak footplate would be quie difficult I think

Tony

Thanks for the tip, but I have built up my confidence over the years and I am willing to try just about anything.

I did find an Experiment with a Belpaire firebox, a handful in fact:

https://lnwrs.zenfolio.com/p994247815/h821FF42#h503f45c No. 2624 'SARACEN' Belpaire firebox, LMS cab roof, Ross pop safety valves, LNWR lamp sockets.

https://lnwrs.zenfolio.com/p994247815/h821FF42#h561dd797 No. 5487 'COMBERMERE' Belpaire firebox, LMS cab roof, Ross pop safety valves, LMS lampirons, number on cab side.

https://lnwrs.zenfolio.com/p994247815/h821FF42#h5c69620f No. 5526 'BACTRIA' Belpaire firebox, LMS cab roof, Ross pop safety valves, LMS lampirons. Number on cab side

https://lnwrs.zenfolio.com/p994247815/h821FF42#h61d381b No. 5482 'QUEEN EMPRESS' Belpaire firebox, LMS cab roof, Ross pop safety valves

Edited by LNWR18901910
  • Like 1

I think, but I'm not sure, that all those 'Experiments ' are superheated too.

Experiments were built as non-superheated, the Prince of Wales class, built 6 years later were superheated. The main difference is the longer smokebox for the POWs.

Some Experiments may have been super-heated later. 5482 Queen Empress was fitted with a Belpaire boiler, but still with the short smokebox indicating it still wasn't super-heated. I can't confirm that either way as my library is set up in the workshop but my internet computer isn't.

https://lnwrs.zenfolio.com/p994247815

Edited by Jol Wilkinson

• 1 month later...
On 14/02/2019 at 01:12, LNWR18901910 said:

It's at this point I'm thinking - should I stick with the LNWR Experiment once complete or make a 19" Goods 4-6-0 out of it?

As you intended to thoughly bash up a innocent RTR model with every confidence of a successful outcome have you thought that you could scratch build a model in plastic?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

As you intended to thoughly bash up a innocent RTR model with every confidence of a successful outcome have you thought that you could scratch build a model in plastic?

I would, but scratch-building is very new to me and I have yet to try it.

8 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Then again, I could make a 19" Goods from a Hornby B12 - the original modern model before it was retooled and detailed, of course.