Experiment of North Western Proportions

I know next to nothing about Hornby RTR locos but a looking at a photo online of a B12 shows it to be considerably different and I would think it is easier to scratchbuild an Experiment or 19" Goods. Hacking the B12 body and making replacement parts for the running plate, splashers, cab, etc. would amount to scratch building anyway.  The tender looks totally different, too.

Whether the B12 mechanism is suitable I don't know. The boiler is probably the most difficult bit, but 22mm dia plastic tube is available  (plumbing suppliers) which would sort that out, The rest is down to designing and cutting out the parts.

If this is a first or early foray into LNWR loco building, I would still recommend seeking out a GEM kit through Ebay or an auction house such as Vectis, Warwick and Warwick, etc. Vectis usually have a number of unmade kits (usually in lots) and for example their next auction on 22nd February includes a DJH small boiler Claughton with two other unmade kits, est. at £80 - £100. Worth bidding to get the Claughton and the sell the others on Ebay, which is what a lot of the kitchen table traders do.

• 2 weeks later...

Here it is - made with a Hornby B12 model and a Bachmann LNWR tender, the model of the 19" Goods so far.

DSC09615.JPG.63b31c0341926306872385088fc5c7a4.JPG

This is an original condition version of the LNWR 19" Goods 4-6-0 I'm recreating in 00 Scale based on the real engine, No. 1683, from Rugby as seen here in 1922.

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrrm2551.htm

Thanks to the Warwickshire Railways website for the information and the photograph of the engine that I'm recreating as part of my project/collection of Pre-Grouping Vintage Trains from 1890 to 1910. The coaches follow soon.

Edited by LNWR18901910
Grammar
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Here is my LNWR 19" Goods  so far now that it has a whistle chimney and buffers. Also, notice the steps and improvements on it.

962143680_LNWR1.jpg.b593d684eb2a620474ef3f8810a3b3a6.jpg

658952024_LNWR2.jpg.454f00dc043cce924d9aed089f7a6e89.jpg

349521949_LNWR3.jpg.b3390824e878468414dab7a81862722d.jpg

The lining has yet to be applied as well as number-plate and LNWR crest on both sides, cab-window glazing and locomotive crew. Just showing you all the progress on the model - what started out as a Hornby B12 is now an LNWR locomotive Hornby or Bachmann has yet to make! More to come soon as it develops.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, James Harrison said:

Looks good; I'm a fan of the LNWR 4-4-0s and 4-6-0s myself but never thought about building one from a B12. 

Thanks! It's nearly done! Also, have you heard about the replica George the Fifth 4-4-0?

15 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

Here is my LNWR 19" Goods  so far now that it has a whistle chimney and buffers. Also, notice the steps and improvements on it.

658952024_LNWR2.jpg.454f00dc043cce924d9aed089f7a6e89.jpg

The lining has yet to be applied as well as number-plate and LNWR crest on both sides, cab-window glazing and locomotive crew. Just showing you all the progress on the model - what started out as a Hornby B12 is now an LNWR locomotive Hornby or Bachmann has yet to make! More to come soon as it develops.

A LNWR chimney and  safety valve from London Road Models, as supplied with their Precursor Tank kit, would make a great difference. Boiler fittings always catch the eye.

970715334_PTDown1.JPG.af5cc32f3b8ae18de414ada97752ab07.JPG

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

Thanks! It's nearly done! Also, have you heard about the replica George the Fifth 4-4-0?

Regrettably, the project is making very slow process. That is very disappointing given the enthusiasm surrounding other new builds, including those where there is already a preserved loco. I would love to see the George completed, even though my preference is for the Precursor in non-superheated form, which is why I built this one from a Brassmasters kit.

216835889_Precursor34FPtoned.jpg.42b5ee2427cdf3ec829d67420e6135e8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

7 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

A LNWR chimney and  safety valve from London Road Models, as supplied with their Precursor Tank kit, would make a great difference. Boiler fittings always catch the eye.

970715334_PTDown1.JPG.af5cc32f3b8ae18de414ada97752ab07.JPG

Yes, that is an option. I'll have a chat about it with my local dealer and maybe see what he thinks. I ought to contact London Road to see if they have spares.

1 minute ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Regrettably, the project is making very slow process. That is very disappointing given the enthusiasm surrounding other new builds, including those where there is already a preserved loco. I would love to see the George completed, even though my preference is for the Precursor in non-superheated form, which is why I built this one from a Brassmasters kit.

216835889_Precursor34FPtoned.jpg.42b5ee2427cdf3ec829d67420e6135e8.jpg

Looks very nice! Does it run well in both directions?

Just now, LNWR18901910 said:

Looks very nice! Does it run well in both directions?

It did on the test track when it was being run in. It has a unique chassis, based on the London Road Models Precursor Tank version with springing on the bogie axles, so they carry a small amount of weight.

I only run it chimney forward on London Road as it is usually hauling the largest express rake.  I only fitted an AJ coupling to the tender as I haven't seen any photos of them running tender first hauling a train in the LNWR period.

London Road Models can usually supply the lost wax brass castings from their kits separately. The LNWR didn't have long hinge straps on the smokebox doors, so removing those from your Experiment will make the front end look more LNWR. The tall hinge pivot shaft could be represented by a piece of .8 mm (or thereabouts) brass wire.

7 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

It did on the test track when it was being run in. It has a unique chassis, based on the London Road Models Precursor Tank version with springing on the bogie axles, so they carry a small amount of weight.

I only run it chimney forward on London Road as it is usually hauling the largest express rake.  I only fitted an AJ coupling to the tender as I haven't seen any photos of them running tender first hauling a train in the LNWR period.

London Road Models can usually supply the lost wax brass castings from their kits separately. The LNWR didn't have long hinge straps on the smokebox doors, so removing those from your Experiment will make the front end look more LNWR. The tall hinge pivot shaft could be represented by a piece of .8 mm (or thereabouts) brass wire.

Originally, I was going to build the Brassmasters kit of the LNWR 19" Goods, but it was too complicated.

Edited by LNWR18901910
Spelling mistake

12 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Would it be possible to obtain the spare parts from them?

On 26/03/2019 at 02:32, LNWR18901910 said:

Yes; I'm following their progress.  Probably the new-build I'm looking forward most to seeing, after GCR 567, the Bloomer and Beachy Head. 

• 1 month later...

Well, here it is, completed at long last! My LNWR 19" Goods made from a Hornby B12 (original, not modern) at long last.

DSC09676.JPG.1c36163a387596e3661b71fc44ff87bd.JPG

The buffers are different to the ones the originals had, but this locomotive is supposed to be a recreation of an actual Rugby loco, No, 1683 in 1910s/early-1920s. It's as close as I can get to.

• Like 1

Using transfers (Fox, HMRS, ModelMaster and others) would go a long way to improve the finished model. Alternatively  an inexpensive bow pen would give crisper results with paint lining.

This Precursor shown in my earlier post  of 26 March was done with mainly ModelMaster transfers but HMRS Pressfix for the upper cab panels. 

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
Additional text
  • Agree 1

• 5 weeks later...

It was two years ago last week I first came to this model railway forum. I came here to make friends, learn tips and advice, improve my modelling skills and share some of my stuff. And this is what I'm going to do right now.

DSC09699.JPG.af9f2122cc85f401eef9e57ea7522d27.JPGDSC09702.JPG.68b95bdf065f3320c46ee49e6cc84ae0.JPG

My LNWR 19" Goods 4-6-0 made from an original B12 model is finally complete with accurate buffers and in original LNWR condition when it was first built. I love this class next to the Midland Railway 2511 Class 2-6-0 and my all-time top favourite the LMS Black Five 5-6-0 and it is a great and excellent mixed-traffic locomotive. Although none were saved despite coming into BR ownership and never receiving any BR numbering or classification or both, I think it would be a marvellous candidate for new build steam locomotives, don't you agree? And while we're at it, if Bachmann or Hornby are listening, a 00-Gauge model of the class would be nice!

There is something to be said about the original Tri-ang Hornby B12 model; sure it may lack in detail and the tooling is rather outdated, but there are several potential ideas for it and this is one of them. I'm working on an LMS version of the locomotive with Belpaire fireboxes and LMS safety valves. Let's hope for the best how that'll turn out. For the time being, I'm going to take a much needed break from locomotives and focus on the rolling stock from the exact Pre-Grouping period (that should fit exactly with the same locomotive classes of the time). My trip to Weymouth and the Swanage Railway will provide me with studies on Southern Railway/Region or LSWR steam garuanteed.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Very interesting thread which has inspired me to have a go at building a Prince of Wales. However rather than chopping up rtr bodies i am attempting to 3D print a body to first on the B12  chassis.

My second test print below but thanks to the article above I now realise that the boiler is too large so will try to correct.

Prince of Wales II.jpg