J P Models - more radio controlled vehicles in 1:76 scale

Pikey

57 minutes ago, Pikey said:

Havent quite worked out how you join them up, but I've got more things to do before I can do that anyway.

An assembly video I watched for a different das87 kit showed them annealing a couple of brass parts with a gas torch, so they could be opened up and reformed around around other parts.

Could that be what's needed with the final track connection?

• Like 1

I think it'll be the same technique - slightly bend the one end outwards, and click the other end into it after filing the lugs down a touch. Its just how do you physically do that when the whole thing is joined in a circle. It might not be an issue, it just looks awkward to hold :) 

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

For the next couple of weeks, I'm concentrating on fixing any little niggles and general maintenance on my existing fleet of vehicles, and driving practise before the Warley show. I may have time to finish the bulldozer and my DAF cab, but they're not priorities. I've already had two motors give up and one wheel fall off :D 

I am getting more confident driving the JCB now, hopefully close to presentation standard so that it simply looks like someone driving a real one. Unloading some wheelsets:

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a point of order, wheelsets are never rested on their flanges. Always on supports in contact with the tread like this:

wsoh_007.jpg.8930aa3c4dd4bc867aa1685dc66dbfd9.jpg

Might be worth adding a "passport" or wheelset record document to yours too - the industry is very strict with records for wheelsets, they will always have them.

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Just a point of order, wheelsets are never rested on their flanges.

That's a very good point re: transport of wheelsets. When I've got a bit more time I'll re-do them with chocks and straps just like in the photo - in this case I've used the functional wheels off an item of rolling stock, so I need them back after the show :) 

• Like 2

Well, wasnt that an epic adventure!! :D 

Warley 2019 - two days of standing up for 9 hours with no breaks, no food and no drink, and a less-than ideal amount of sleep on saturday night has left me in a pretty much zombie-like state, even this morning after a good night's sleep!

I had two wheels fall off (the coach and the police car), both of which were easily fixed with a dab of superglue, but the crane broke on the crane lorry and I've sort of fixed it but not really, which is a bummer. I will take this opportunity to rebuild it with the tiny springs inside, rather than elastic across the top.

The main positive of the weekend is both the loader and telehandler worked faultlessly all weekend, apart from the bucket did temporarily jam a few times on the loader, not sure why, but taking the pin out of the bucket and re-inserting it fixed the issue every time it happened.

Learnings from the show:

If I have people helping me drive the vehicles they need more training on how to do it realistically, or alternatively the vehicles need a slower top speed and slower servo speed to prevent them being wildly thrashed around with zero finesse.

We need a new entrance barrier, after my wife demolished it with an articulated lorry. See also first comment :D 

People lose interest quickly after the 9th attempt at reversing a lorry into a loading bay. See also first comment :D 

Lights are better being wired to be permanently on when the vehicle is switched on, rather than on a function output - vehicles with lights wired to a function will flash those lights when you transfer control to another vehicle on the transmitter, making it unrealistic to park them up while you drive something else.

Emergency vehicles entertain children more than adults.

50 flyers isnt enough. They had all gone by 11am on Saturday!

Overall we had a great time though. :) 

IMG_1559.JPG.1f7611f19881637f894fcb4d8018b7fa.JPG

IMG_1558.JPG.e313672e6442fb52bdde8111fb706561.JPG

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Pikey said:

Warley 2019 - two days of standing up for 9 hours with no breaks, no food and no drink,

I am very impressed by these models but this seems to me a major downside. I think I would lose interest as an operator after 5 minutes.

...R

• Friendly/supportive 1

I was there on Saturday and happily watched the telehandler doing its stuff, looking extremely good!

I think your observations are very good - operators generally do not think in terms of being in the cab and needing to swing the wheel round, or select reverse and reverse by mirrors etc.... and it does make a difference visually.

We use tall chairs at the front/side to operate from, which does make life a little more bearable! 

Congratulations on a good show!

Edited by Giles
  • Like 1

I was tempted to come up to the show. (havent been for over a decade) cost, distance and other commitments put me off. 

But I am glad it went so well for you. the minor issues sound very minimal for a first exhibition outing.

hopefully there will be some videos on youtube in the usual collection of exhibition montages that get put together by visitors.

Operating a full 2 day show with only just enough operators is exhausting. And whilst I have found driving the trucks to be more interesting than several of the layouts I have had the privilege to operate at exhibitions. It is also more demanding on concentration. You can usually allow your mind to drift for a second or two (or longer if the layout is big enough) once a train is rolling, safe in the knowledge it isnt going to wander off route. 

I would imagine you had a lot of interesting conversations with the visitors.

interesting note about the permanantly on lights. I have been reprogramming a couple of my vehicles to use the selecta function having added the necessary knob. I will have to pay further attention to the behaviour of the lights.

Do you have any more exhibitions scheduled, or has that one put you off? I would really like to see the layout if it's in the area.

• Agree 1

I've since realised that there's a 'speed' setting on the controller for each channel, which works a bit like the 'momentum' setting on a DCC controller. I'll program this in to each vehicle, so for instance it takes about 3/4 seconds to go from lock to lock in a van, so rather than flicking from lock to lock instantly I'll retain some control over the realism of the vehicles, even if I'm not driving them :) 

Switching between the telehandler and the loader, with occasional lorry reversing, is more than enough entertainment for two days straight. Where I work is opposite a building site at the moment, and for the last month or so there's been a digger loading a rock crusher, and a loader just like my tiny one scooping up the crushed bits and depositing them in an ever-increasing pile on the other side of the site. I could drive that machine all day :D 

Here's a good clip of the layout in action (from 3:35 onwards in case it doesnt to that automatically):

https://youtu.be/KByd6FzzakY?t=215

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Robin2 said:

I am very impressed by these models but this seems to me a major downside. I think I would lose interest as an operator after 5 minutes.

...R

Would that depend upon the activity though? If there was a clearly defined set of objectives, then that would keep me entertained, whereas I struggle a bit with trying to make it up as I go along.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corbs said:

Would that depend upon the activity though? If there was a clearly defined set of objectives, then that would keep me entertained, whereas I struggle a bit with trying to make it up as I go along.

Perhaps. Or maybe the demo periods could be signposted for a specific 15 minute period in every hour.

I saw the action (impressive) in one of the YouTube videos about the Warley show. However I couldn't see what info was available to viewers at the show - would they have known that @Pikey had made them? The manufacture of these things interests me far more than the driving of them when complete.

Their creation is far more impressive than the countless layouts with Bachmann, Dapol or Hornby models racing around.

...R

Edited by Robin2
  • Like 1

Great idea about a GoPro time-lapse - and I've got one too! Missed a trick there :)  

I did have A5 flyers for people to take, but I didn't have anywhere near enough of them, so after Saturday morning there were probably a lot of people frantically googling where to buy 1:76 scale radio controlled Telehandlers from - good luck with that :D lol 

• Funny 1

12 hours ago, Pikey said:

Great idea about a GoPro time-lapse - and I've got one too! Missed a trick there :)  

I did have A5 flyers for people to take, but I didn't have anywhere near enough of them, so after Saturday morning there were probably a lot of people frantically googling where to buy 1:76 scale radio controlled Telehandlers from - good luck with that :D lol 

May I ask which Rx and battery do you use in your vehicles?

Cheers

• Like 1

I use Deltang receivers, mostly RX45 for the normal vehicles.

Batteries vary depending on the space available - Sol Expert sell some nice compact 70mAh batteries which I use in small vehicles like Land Rovers, artic lorry cabs have 240mAh batteries which is a nice size giving a good balance of size and running time. In the larger models (coaches, box lorries etc) you can fit 750mAh batteries which will last all day

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1