J P Models - more radio controlled vehicles in 1:76 scale

Pikey

6 hours ago, Pikey said:

After a pause, with not being able to get Deltang receivers, I've finally been able to get on and finish the recovery truck. I think this is about as good as a G95 motor/gearbox from Sol Expert will run, as the slow speed control isnt really there, but the top speed is about right if you want to drive along a road.

Have you tried putting either one or two pairs of back-to-back diodes in the motor feed to drop the motor voltage ?  That might give a bit better low speed control.   I used that on my 2mm scale bus.

For the currents involved, the diodes can be very small.    

I agree another ratio would be ideal, but with off-the-shelf motor gear-heads, its not an easy option.

• Like 1

On 11/06/2020 at 14:11, Pikey said:

After a pause, with not being able to get Deltang receivers, 

Are they back in stock now. Micron still seem to have mostly empty shelves, I gave up waiting for an RX43 and bought a Rx47, its  marginally narrower which was valuable and I'm hoping to try out some of the advanced features to make up for the extra price.

nice work on the truck

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Haven't got a lot to show here for the moment, but I have picked up a few commissions - to do three near identical loaders (so I'm going to make a fourth one for myself at the same time) and a crane lorry :) 

But my order from Germany has been delayed - on the UK side (obviously) so I haven't done much other than cut holes for the motors so far. Hopefully my motors and servos will arrive soon and I can show some progress.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 weeks later...

The parcel finally arrived at the weekend :)

Progress pictures on loader #1, I'm about 4 or 5 hours in so far (including thinking time - the other three vehicles will be much faster as I know what I'm doing now):

Make hole for motor/gearbox, also drill holes for micro switch and charging socket

IMG_4093.JPG.1d0216b4b120416abf4d7df9dde16ea0.JPG

IMG_E4093.JPG.95f1ff83e2b397cbf0227c87e5651732.JPG

I think the servo is going to sit approximately here, I want to get it as low down as I can because I want to retain the driver figure if possible:

IMG_4143.JPG.30211c4404e581f8c8ddebe6ebebd13f.JPG

Make space for battery and receiver in the engine bay. I'm actually going to use a smaller battery because the servo location will eat ever so slightly into the space at the front of this piece:

IMG_E4092.JPG.7af62f81c9cb1b6c75982b2d0e95d8ff.JPG

IMG_E4091.JPG.cf197ccd9e5688347e683a07455d6b23.JPG

Take apart the arm/bucket - harder than you'd think, because its fitted together with steel rivets that need to be drilled/Dremelled out very carefully to avoid damaging the arm. Enlarge the holes to take 2mm diameter brass tube bearings (the ones on the end broke as the metal is too thin, but superglue should be strong enough for this to hold together in operation (I hope), and make space for the central cogs:

IMG_4206.JPG.34453c5965126f9ff4da37ac90450436.JPG

IMG_4207.JPG.15226265f24ff0ac370d4f2c96232187.JPG

IMG_4210.JPG.de4a0467a0fa5d34e0dfb08635bb0df1.JPG

IMG_4211.JPG.48ed72610204bf404e5761c51bc8e64b.JPG

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 1 month later...
On 14/06/2020 at 02:15, otherplanet said:

Are they back in stock now. Micron still seem to have mostly empty shelves, I gave up waiting for an RX43 and bought a Rx47, its  marginally narrower which was valuable and I'm hoping to try out some of the advanced features to make up for the extra price.

nice work on the truck

It looks like DelTang is packing it in.  http://www.deltang.co.uk/news.htm

Which is a bit of a pain. Does anyone know of any small format alternatives? I'm not having a lot of luck finding any.

• Friendly/supportive 1

To be clear, it looks like Dave's packing in the Rx 6x series - but continuing the lower voltage  receivers. I'm fortunate in so far as I use low voltage motors in my loco as well, so the Rx41s do me very nicely.

Maybe the work-around is to consider re-motoring the chassis with a 3 or 5v motor? Assuming you need the  higher speeds, That is.

Conversion if road vehicles will be unaffected by this.

Edited by Giles
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Realised I havent updated this thread for ages! I now have the first loader working and it will be off to its new owner very soon:

I had to use the next size up servo, 2.2g, as the smallest one that I use for everything else just wasnt powerful enough to move the steering. So any hope of retaining the driver figure / cab detail went out of the window - the cab is now full of servo and wires, in fact the wires are bursting out of the window a little bit as well. I crammed it as hard as I dared, but there just isnt quite enough room in the engine compartment!

The next three, including the one with the logging attachment, are about 50% complete and I'm going to add lighting effects to the last one which is going to become the new star on my layout whenever we are able to do exhibitions again :-)

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 4 weeks later...

I think the ones I've seen on Youtube from Germany are controlled like that, but I cant for the life of me see how there's room for 3 of them - one to control the steering and another two to control the arm and bucket!

The next pair of loader and logger are finished and in the hands of their delighted new owner :)

LD.jpg.9d5aed1c6f251d7b4fc079b800d5d2a8.jpg

LG.jpg.e214450421e6c212cc1daf7a7091588e.jpg

You might just be able to see I did manage to cram the driver figure back in the cockpit, although he's a lot further forward than he should be. The logger is loads of fun :D I seemed to be pretty rubbish at driving it, hopefully new owner Bob will get the hang of it.

So I can now FINALLY work on my own loader, and I feel like putting some extra effort into the lights - they have work lights at the front and rear, plus extra lights at the top of the cab and possibly tail lights and reversing lights as well, need to do some research. I've also ordered a 'rotating beacon' - which is actually 3 LEDs inside which flash in turn to simulate a single light going round and round :D 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Still nothing to report, mainly due to the fact that my garage is the same temperature as outside (due to zero insulation and an inadequate heater), so when its as cold as it has been recently, I just dont go in there.

I've got another crane lorry that I'm working on at the moment, which I'll post pictures of when I've made some decent progress :)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...

My second HIAB crane lorry is driving and steering, with emergency beacons, test video below. This is the same chassis that my yellow one is based on, a Cararama Mercedes box lorry with the back chopped off. Pleasingly, the inside of the box is detailed with a slatted base which looks great as a flatbed by simply painting it brown, and it covers a slim 350mAh battery which I think is a better way of doing it than disguising a battery as a tarped load on the bed. The last part to do is the crane itself, you can see the white blue and green pairs of wires sticking out ready for connection to the three motors.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 1 month later...

Still not got around to the actual crane - its all prepared, just need to find the time to do it.

In the meantime, I fitted a 'rotating' beacon to the Green Goddess I did earlier:

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 07/05/2021 at 13:28, Pikey said:

Still not got around to the actual crane - its all prepared, just need to find the time to do it.

In the meantime, I fitted a 'rotating' beacon to the Green Goddess I did earlier:

Can’t help but think that the Green Goddess is travelling at about twice scale speed....

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

Over the last few weeks I've been doing some work on the Faller Car System I've got on my garage layout at home. I now have 5 vehicles - three standard Faller vehicles plus two I've modified myself -  and the latest one is a Scania timber lorry which I've chopped all the timber stuff off and made it into a simple flatbed.

With a home-made route choice and stop section (servo pulling a bit of fishing line to bend the wire, and another servo-operated magnet that operates the reed switch on the underside of the vehicles) I can now bring in a flatbed truck and load it with my telehandler. It stops and starts abruptly, but its just a bit of fun :) 

• Like 6

Very nice. I have often thought that a combination of faller and radio control ought to allow larger numbers of vehicles, whilst maintaining the interesting bit.

It also occured to me that a hybrid system using a Deltang receiver with the buffer stop function enabled could help to control the abrupt acceleration. Potentially you could use an extra servo channel to swap between servo and wire controlled steering to allow it to break free.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I've been absent from this forum ever since it completely changed and now half the page is covered in adverts, with additional adverts and videos popping up all over the place. What a shame :(

Anyway, I have a facebook page, so if you'd like to keep up to date with what I'm doing just search for J P Models. I'll be exhibiting at the Cheltenham model railway exhibition at the end of October too :)

I'm doing a couple of tractors just now, one with a bulldozer blade and one with a front loader, and I'll be tackling a reach stacker and a wheeled 360 excavator in the near future.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1