Byford - Trainspotting in The 50s

richard.h

As a follow up to the photos here is a video of D137 with its Carflat load  which gets held at the Station to release the Express parcels train.

For some reason it is going the opposite way to the previous pictures, not sure why, cancelled order?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, calvin Streeting said:

lol... love the cat and dog :)

Thank you, they are from a european set (Preiser I think).

Another from the same set appears in this photo christening a lamp post, if you can pick him out.

549077310_DSCN0496(2).JPG.852f0b07bafdc8759ff27bbe9dcc27c5.JPG

• Like 2

Storage Solutions.

In the early stages of building the layout there was lots of construction work to do so I dedicated one side purely for storage roads.

So here is a photo of the 16 road storage section with each road capable of holding at least two trains plus a spur at the top right where cassettes could be loaded/unloaded for storage of little used trains.

I also built an indicator gantry and used bi-polar red green Leds which switched with the tracks to give me a visual confirmation of the tracks in use.

Big enough you would think but no as a railway modeller you are always looking for extra features.

1616941742_StorageRoadswithBipolarLEDIndicatorBoard.jpg.5eb4f59f1997aeff5d3c98d7131680d7.jpg

More to follow

• Like 3

I continued with the construction of a cassette trolley, this is the Mk2 version with heavy duty wheels and a strengthened floor, after I found out how heavy MDF is when my first effort stared to buckle under the strain.

581701225_IMG_0876(2).JPG.1a6b19c8289c40657c7d8e3dda29277e.JPG

Each cassette is 120cms long which luckily just holds four full length coaches so it's 1 cassette for a local passenger or goods and 2 for an express train.

Once I had built up a reasonable collection of cassettes I didn't need all the storage roads and could make better use of the space.

The next stage then was to move the storage road section up against the wall to make more room in the centre of the room and then take up six of the storage roads to allow me to develop a new scenic section which would provide more interest and operational movements.

As can be seen from the photo below a start has been made on this section but there is still much to do, as a safety measure the backscenes are secured by brackets which allows me to lift them out for maintenance and cleaning.

274012625_IMG_0872(3).JPG.b3a559b7e6cbfaa7fd6892277293220a.JPG

• Like 2

Once the new storage/scenic section had been set it meant that the cassette spur was gone so a new location was needed for another one, this was build behind the engine shed complex but this time it was made to take two cassettes so that a full length train could be  stored in one movement.

542941673_IMG_0984(2).JPG.2ab407b27cc34f42aea9e20dcf2e8d0f.JPG

Access to the Cassette line was made by adding a new spur to the engine shed approach, this has worked out much better because now the locos appear to be fetching stock from hidden carriage sidings.

Another benefit is that locos can come from or return to the shed and move stock and also I can send out the station pilot to move anything needed.

1446138138_IMG_0931(2).JPG.7018f2886f31baa3f6f2a6f90af50e2f.JPG

• Like 1

Here is a photo of The Yorkshire Pullman in its cassettes ready for storage.

271450176_IMG_0926(2).JPG.e1fb1af1df016ca59ac9cc36fa31c3e5.JPG

I also left space for a Loco Lift, everything runs through this as it acts as a re-railer for items that may have come off track when being moved and if the loco in use is no longer required for the moment it can be lifted off and put into a separate storage cupboard.

734806821_IMG_0935(2).JPG.aef7900f05dcc27cd4a7b51c7184f84b.JPG

• Like 3

I bought some of the Bachmann coaches complete with passengers when they were released to see how they looked on the layout.

The coaches are excellent models and the figures do add an extra touch but I still can't bring myself to start opening up all my coaching stock and fitting people inside. I have done it with the DMUs which have a large window area but it just doesn't seem worth it on standard coaching stock.

2085202953_IvattwithLocalPassengerTrain.jpg.ebc13564fda589166dbc5303db0abbf2.jpg

• Like 1

I don't know if I have been unlucky with my particular model of this Loco but it has caused quite a few problems.

It was run in as usual on the rolling road without any difficulty but when placed on the layout it stalled on a long crossing and even though I have electronic short circuit detection by the time i noticed there was smoke pouring out of it.

It turned out that all the wiring had melted so I had to strip it all away and hardwire the decoder from the loco with new slightly thicker wire, it now runs fairly well apart from the front bogie wanting to go in a different direction sometimes, possibly a little bit of extra weight will help, something else on my to-do list.

262608442_IMG_1047(2).JPG.9277c16c6955d2415265a40e76bfb214.JPG

• Like 2