Weinert replacement wheels for the Roco DB BR V60

readingtype

• RMweb Premium

These arrived at the end of November (ordered October 2017) and look pretty good. There are 'RP25' (Weinert part number 5625, as shown here) and 'fine scale RP25' (part number 5626) versions.

I've written up the conversion on the German Railways Society forum but here are some photos and a short synopsis.

The most important thing to know -- and it is in the instructions -- is that if you convert a model from the first or second series which have two captive axles then you need a new chassis casting and a new retaining cover for the worm gear at the top of the gear chain. Also worth having is a set of replacement crank pins, as these are plastic and ready to break (as one of mine did, despite taking some care) or ping off into the mouth of the waiting Carpet Monster.

You will also need to file clearance into the plastic base plate that retains the axles, but only for the front and centre axles.

Roco's original wheels on the original chassis

Original Roco wheels

Weinert wheels on replacement chassis

Replacement Weinert wheels

The replacement axles showing why the clearance is required. The replacement axles run in brass bushes.

Weinert axles in replacement chassis block

I can report running with the new axles is very good, and the appearance is much better. It's worth noting that this is just in time for Piko and Brawa to release new models of the V60 -- Piko report the first of theirs will be available before the new year.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for sharing your experiences, I've been considering doing the same to my rebuilt DSB MH which uses a Roco V60 chassis

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nicks_trainstuff/23826713016/in/album-72157600214346579/

A pleasure. I think considering that you get three (plus one) axles in a product that is well thought through and finished they're good value. No quartering, no painting, and the running is better afterwards. Here's a close up photo.

Wheels close up

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Oh yeah, and ESU is releasing a V60 too (the same one that was released a few years ago and then withdrawn?), thanks to the Drehscheibe Online model forum here's their promo video: https://youtu.be/20xl2v2ZD9A

The closeups seem to me to show that Roco's model is going to be difficult to beat. The wheels are NEM profile but I think that Weinert may be offering suitable replacement axles now that they have a nice pile of suitable wheels.

Anyway, there's an amazing amount of stuff packed into the model, and it'll certainly be fun to play  with. Whereas when I see smoke coming out of my old Roco model it'll just be the DCC chip cooking again ;-)

• Like 1

Oh yeah, and ESU is releasing a V60 too (the same one that was released a few years ago and then withdrawn?), thanks to the Drehscheibe Online model forum here's their promo video: https://youtu.be/20xl2v2ZD9A

As are Brawa and Piko - all releasing digital sound/coupling fitted models!

I suspect this is what is known as 'spoilt for choice'.

Like you say, though - the Roco model is still hard to beat in my book.

It's a great, reliable runner and has been released in just about every livery going.