Pendon Museum

bobthesod4479

If anyone has visited there in the last few months, could they confirm if the B17 nameplate Middlesborough is still there. The last time i saw it it was on the ground floor near the Madder Valley layout

I would ring but they are not open again until after Xmas and it is rather an urgent question

Thanks

Not to my mind. GWR territory, I think.

I mean the actual location, not where the model is set.

It's not far from Banbury, High Wycombe and Aylesbury. Maybe someone had memories of seeing them go past?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Pendon+Museum/@51.6380692,-1.2175727,10z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x2d3c8ff5dafcc9c8!8m2!3d51.6380692!4d-1.2175727

Jason

• RMweb Gold

It's not far from Banbury, High Wycombe and Aylesbury. Maybe someone had memories of seeing them go past?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Pendon+Museum/@51.6380692,-1.2175727,10z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x2d3c8ff5dafcc9c8!8m2!3d51.6380692!4d-1.2175727

Jason

Jason

I meant the actual location. When I visited it in 1975 we then had lunch in Abingdon. The GWS site at Didcot is fairly close by, hence my belief that this is GWR territory.

Yes, the Footballer plate is still hanging in the place you describe. I never understood its relevance to Pendon though.

Like Pendon, Middlesbrough FC have always been synonymous with the highest of standards, superlative skills and excellence in their chosen field. Many visitors to the Riverside stadium have remarked on the display of consummate ability showcased within stunning scenery, likewise those who have gazed upon the vale scene.

Edited by brack

Like Pendon, Middlesbrough FC have always been synonymous with the highest of standards, superlative skills and excellence in their chosen field. Many visitors to the Riverside stadium have remarked on the display of consummate ability showcased within stunning scenery, likewise those who have gazed upon the vale scene.

Ahh! Another North Eastern football team that is deluded into thinking they are God's Gift. Nearly as bad as that lot in Sid James's Park.  :jester:

I must admit I used to love going to the old Victorian grounds when I was an away match going fan in the 1980s and '90s. Places like Ayresome Park, Roker Park, The Baseball Ground, The Dell, etc. They were much more interesting than the soulless places that replaced them. Although some of them you wondered whether one gust of wind and the whole lot would have fell down.

Jason

The nameplate Middlesbrough is at Pendon because Roy England travelled behind it through the vale whilst it worked a York to Swindon train off the GC through to Reading.  He recalled that it was the fastest he ever travelled on the line behind any steam loco so when the loco was scrapped aquired the nameplate.

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The nameplate Middlesbrough is at Pendon because Roy England travelled behind it through the vale whilst it worked a York to Swindon train off the GC through to Reading.  He recalled that it was the fastest he ever travelled on the line behind any steam loco so when the loco was scrapped aquired the nameplate.

Tony

Sounds absolutely right - GCR/LNER/ER locos regularly worked through to Swindon almost up until the end of the GC mainline although in later years it was a regular B1 job.  I know that at one time (perhaps still?) it was planned to have an LNER through working on the Vale layout.

• Like 1

Ahh! Another North Eastern football team that is deluded into thinking they are God's Gift. Nearly as bad as that lot in Sid James's Park.  :jester:

I must admit I used to love going to the old Victorian grounds when I was an away match going fan in the 1980s and '90s. Places like Ayresome Park, Roker Park, The Baseball Ground, The Dell, etc. They were much more interesting than the soulless places that replaced them. Although some of them you wondered whether one gust of wind and the whole lot would have fell down.

Jason

Jason

Try going to Leyton Orient on a cold damp winter night in the 70's, that's if you ever made it to the ground (full of angry dockers), don't know what was worse the ground or the surroundings, both very run down

• Like 1

Jason

Try going to Leyton Orient on a cold damp winter night in the 70's, that's if you ever made it to the ground (full of angry dockers), don't know what was worse the ground or the surroundings, both very run down

Just like going to Goodison Park then. Or as we call it Jurassic Park. :jester:

I don't think I ever got to Orient as they were right down the leagues.

The only place I ever thought was a bit dangerous was going to Man City which was in Moss Side. Not so much the fans as the locals. It was full of drug dealers who were having a war.

I never really saw that much hooliganism to be honest. A few small isolated incidents, but nothing major. You were told the places to avoid, such as not going in certain pubs.

Jason

TBH, I thought post the diesel visit, Pendon had spontaneously combusted so delighted to hear its going strong!

Interestingly although the numbers attending the diesel days were good, they were not significantly more than when 'The Madder Valley' has a running day.  The Sunday was even less than the Saturday so perhaps diesel fans are all hot air?

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Can I have a sniff of whatever you are on?

Mike.