Directional Decoder Functions - What options?

JZjr

Hi,

I've been out of this game for too long - the range of decoders available is huge compared to those 10 years ago!

I am looking for a decoder (hopefully one which is offered in a variety of socket types) which allows a range of functions to be set up as 'directional',  I see that the TCS decoders allow you to do this.  Are there any others?

What I'm looking to do is add more lighting options so some of my DMU's - looking to do a couple of 142's first.

• Function 0 controls marker lights
  • Function 1 controls tail lights
  • Function 2 controls headlight
  • Function 4 tails at both ends

Or probably just a subset of these options as I can see myself eating through functions very quickly leaving no space for internal lighting etc. - I'd like to limit myself to one decoder per item where possible!

If anyone could suggest specific decoders that would be great - at the moment I'm looking to do non-DCC-Ready stock first so sockets etc. are bottom of the priority list for the moment.

Hi,

I've been out of this game for too long - the range of decoders available is huge compared to those 10 years ago!

I am looking for a decoder (hopefully one which is offered in a variety of socket types) which allows a range of functions to be set up as 'directional',  I see that the TCS decoders allow you to do this.  Are there any others?

What I'm looking to do is add more lighting options so some of my DMU's - looking to do a couple of 142's first.

• Function 0 controls marker lights
  • Function 1 controls tail lights
  • Function 2 controls headlight
  • Function 4 tails at both ends

Or probably just a subset of these options as I can see myself eating through functions very quickly leaving no space for internal lighting etc. - I'd like to limit myself to one decoder per item where possible!

If anyone could suggest specific decoders that would be great - at the moment I'm looking to do non-DCC-Ready stock first so sockets etc. are bottom of the priority list for the moment.

Zimo are very good, but there are others that could be used,  Lenz / TCS / ESU Lokpilot  etc

Most 4 function decoders use F0 to control the front and rear marker lights directionally including headlights (if fitted) as standard. The other 2 functions could be used for independent directional tail lights or cab lights etc.

A decoder with 6 or more function outputs would allow for both options.

By using function mapping you could also change what F key controls which function output, and also if desired, set outputs directional or otherwise.

HTH

Thanks,

I've had a look through some of the decoder options in JMRI and the Zimo's have an impressive number of options to explore.  Looking at the costs for different numbers of Functions, I'm thinking I'll go for the headlights on F0, and the tails wired separately - using function mapping to give the option of one end or both ends.

This will give me the option to add plenty more functions with one decoder - such as internal lighting and BIL's which are now becoming standard.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks,

I've had a look through some of the decoder options in JMRI and the Zimo's have an impressive number of options to explore.  Looking at the costs for different numbers of Functions, I'm thinking I'll go for the headlights on F0, and the tails wired separately - using function mapping to give the option of one end or both ends.

This will give me the option to add plenty more functions with one decoder - such as internal lighting and BIL's which are now becoming standard.

Although you can use more than one function button to operate outputs, you will be limited by the number of physical outputs from a decoder.

Once you get above 4, watch out for the higher numbered outputs being logic level only - they will require amplification.

There are the likes of the DCCConcepts Z218 that has 6 full power outputs and quite easy to remap and can be used in 8 pin. 21 pin or hardwired format

Edited by newbryford

You asked for recommendations.

I have no hesitation in recommending the best.

ZIMO, ZIMO, or ZIMO.

There are, as you have discovered, many brands available but one brand, ZIMO, has been in continuous production longer than most (since 1979), and contiuous product development keeps them at the cutting edge.

For example, ZIMO MX633. available in most common interfaces including wires only, suitable for non-DCC equipped/ready models.

Some standard features:

Function Outputs - 10 full power 'open collector' type. each can be set directional with a CV. Plus 2 Logic Level function outputs. 12 in all. That's enough to separately control individual LEDs if you are minded to.

On-board stay alive management circuitry. Just connect inexpensive electrolytic or super capacitors to the wires provided for unstoppable performance at all speeds.

1,2A continuous current, 2.5A max for up to 20 seconds

But, it's no use having a large number of FOs if they are not able to be deployed as required. ZIMO decoders all have several different methods to map FOs to a each F key (and make them do different things in different directions if required). Each FO (and each direction if required) may have its own level of dimming for optimal special lighting effects.

A  great feature is one which extinguishes all lighting at one end or the other (temporarliy). This is really useful when consisting several units - ensures that no lamps can be illuminated except at the front and rear of the train/consist.

All of this plus the best motor control available.

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 1