Stanier 2-6-2T at Templecombe

• RMweb Gold

I've seen a different picture of 40171 at Templecombe somewhere, but can't remember which book it was in. I do, however, remember that the caption stated that the loco was basically knackered when it arrived at Templecombe and did very little meaningful work while based there.

I've seen a different picture of 40171 at Templecombe somewhere, but can't remember which book it was in. I do, however, remember that the caption stated that the loco was basically knackered when it arrived at Templecombe and did very little meaningful work while based there.

Ivo Peters photographed 40171 at Templecombe on 11 September 1960 in a line of locos in the same spot - plate 92 in 'The S&D in the Sixties, Vol 3. 1960-1962'.  He says four - 40098/126/161/171 - were allocated to Templecombe in 1960, but their stay was very brief.  He includes no pics of it out on the road which would seem to confirm little, if any, work was done.

Chris KT

Is it safe to assume that a picture of a locomotive at Templecombe means that locomotive worked on the S&DJR?

Probably 'yes' in most cases, but it might have been there simply as a result of a transfer movement to/from the Lower and Upper yards, so not 100% fool-proof. 

Ivo Peters photographed 40171 at Templecombe on 11 September 1960 in a line of locos in the same spot - plate 92 in 'The S&D in the Sixties, Vol 3. 1960-1962'.  He says four - 40098/126/161/171 - were allocated to Templecombe in 1960, but their stay was very brief.  He includes no pics of it out on the road which would seem to confirm little, if any, work was done.

Chris KT

Sounds like a job lot, 98 and 171 were also Tredegar locos prior to 1959.

• RMweb Premium

Probably 'yes' in most cases, but it might have been there simply as a result of a transfer movement to/from the Lower and Upper yards, so not 100% fool-proof. 

In which case I'd argue it's not safe to assume that a loco worked the S&D, one would need some other evidence as well, and photographs of said loco working on the line itself would be best, of course.

• RMweb Gold

Chris KT

I've not seen a photo of them working on the S&D 'proper' but there is evidence that they worked between Bristol and Bath. There is a picture on the web of one entering Bristol with a Maunsell set.

Regarding allocation to Templecombe they didn't seem to last long, two being condemned there and the other two quickly swapped with the LMR for 82xxx tanks from Chester.

• RMweb Gold

There is an image dated September 1960 of 40171 running towards Sturminster Newton with two coaches and a milk tank, probably from Bailey Gate, on page 70 of G.A. Richardson’s Steam on the Somerset and Dorset.

Iain