Modern Traction Kits

andyman7

• RMweb Gold

There are some excellent achievements in this thread, mostly confirming the old adage that sometimes a model can be built despite the kit.

My only experience of MTK was back in the 70's when I wanted a model of Tinsley's finest, D1575, before Hornby brought out the rtr Brush 4. Initial dry runs confirmed that it was going to be a bit of a challenge, but hey ho, nothing ventured etc. The sides came in 4 halves and my idea was to assemble these as a basis to hang the rest of the bodyshell bits off, so they were duly soldered together, only to find I now had 2 sides with 5mm or more difference in length. They were put in the coat of looking at pile whilst I made a start on the bogies, having bought the kit complete with motors and bogies from M G Sharp, and after some considerable time and effort to attempt to construct a free running bogie ( what was that strange plastic with the bits in it that was used in the bogies, it was a to file neatly)  I had a bogie with pickups that due to frictional forces acting on it and dreadful brass wheels to an indeterminate profile, would hardly move itself along the track.

The whole lot went back in the box where it has lain ever since.

Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 2

There were also quite a few other kits available at that time which were nearly as bad, both in whitemetal and some of the early etched kits. Poor castings and etches which defied all but the most talented

These kits were of their time, but like keyser kits built to fit into a certain price bracket in the market. Also ill found reliance on plastics for certain parts (a bit like 3D printing now) in MTK's case those awful plastic chassis.

There are companies selling part kits as scratch builders aids, and do get good reviews. I have a couple of MTK railcars to build, just a pair of sides and a couple of ends, excellent value for what they are. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

There are some excellent achievements in this thread, mostly confirming the old adage that sometimes a model can be built despite the kit.

My only experience of MTK was back in the 70's when I wanted a model of Tinsley's finest, D1575, before Hornby brought out the rtr Brush 4. Initial dry runs confirmed that it was going to be a bit of a challenge, but hey ho, nothing ventured etc. The sides came in 4 halves and my idea was to assemble these as a basis to hang the rest of the bodyshell bits off, so they were duly soldered together, only to find I now had 2 sides with 5mm or more difference in length. They were put in the coat of looking at pile whilst I made a start on the bogies, having bought the kit complete with motors and bogies from M G Sharp, and after some considerable time and effort to attempt to construct a free running bogie ( what was that strange plastic with the bits in it that was used in the bogies, it was a to file neatly)  I had a bogie with pickups that due to frictional forces acting on it and dreadful brass wheels to an indeterminate profile, would hardly move itself along the track.

The whole lot went back in the box where it has lain ever since.

Mike.

I don't know if you ever intend to go back to it, but ironically that is just the kind of project challenge I am so enjoying tackling!

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, andyman7 said:

Time to stick it on ebay then so a mug like me can buy it.... :rolleyes:

It's there as museum piece and salutary reminder, it has a strange hold over me, besides, I wouldn't wish to inflict it on some poor unsuspecting punter.

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

The D600 and Hawksworth were not my first experience of MTK kits - in 1973 I purchased a Peak kit from the Kings Cross model shop, together with the recommended tube of that new-fangled superglue.........except that it didn't work because it required the parts to fit perfectly!:no: So I switched to Devcon. This was double-motored using Tri-ang Hornby units, weighed a ton and wasn't exactly a smooth or silent runner. It was painted blue as 163, although since etched plates wouldn't fit between the grilles I had to make my own illegible versions. Later on I did fit etched plates by removing the small boiler compartment grilles but the  consequent patch-painting never looked that great. I should have done D151 instead......

Next up was a Class 119 DMU powered by T/H Hymek motor parts in an MTK-supplied black plastic frame (I still have a couple of those), this required the worm gears to be shifted closer together on the armature shaft. It was finished in blue/grey livery using MTK's own transfer sheet and totally against expectations it won the Bridgend Cup for best kit-built locomotive at the 1975 Bristol Exhibition! Perhaps the painted-in orange curtains swung it......or just recognition of sheer perseverance! Many years later I replaced the motor and bogies with Lima items for freer running and sold it on to the Bentley MRG in Calne, and AFAIK it is still on their Highbridge Road stock roster.

Shortly after the '119' I bought a Class 25 kit and powered this with another Hymek bogie - just the one, fitted with scale wheels. Unlike the Peak it was a very smooth quiet runner. I finished it as 5180 in blue, representing Cornwall's first Class 25 (just as D151 had been the first Peak).

I also bought the MTK kit for the Class 121 & trailer to go with the '119' but the Lima Class 117 put paid to that and they never got built. The Hornby '25' and Mainline Peak had also transplanted the two MTK locos before the 1970s were done.

Edited by Neil Phillips
I definitely used MTK's transfer sheet, not my MUM's! (Missed that one)
  • Like 5

On 07/09/2020 at 14:24, andyman7 said:

Hang on, it looks like you're producing a very nice scale model from that kit, that's well beyond expectations!

I'd send it back and ask for a refund as it works!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• 4 weeks later...

I have been having a major rearrangement and tidying up of shelves and storage, and found a couple of unbuilt MTK kits I had forgotten about. One is a 2-car Derby lightweight class 108, the other is a 2-car early Derby lightweight, which has had the body shells painted green already - it was in that condition when I bought it, I have done nothing to either of the kits.

It looks like I might have them for sale in the not too distant future, although putting things up for sale at present is not very convenient because of the lockdown conditions. In my position in a large high school I had some surplus computers and monitors up for sale on eBay just before the lockdown occurred, so had to wihdraw them (they were pick up only, and even now we cannot allow any unauthorised people into school grounds).

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Funny that as I have rearranged and fitted new shelves in my railway room, I came across what I think is a Mainline 57xx body, a part built but incomplete Comet body and a set of 18mm Markit wheels. The Missing coupling rods and brake gear is not an issue as I have spares. Finding another set of 18mm Markit wheels a real bonus. I have so many Pannier chassis of various makes and versions its a bit embarrassing .

• Like 3

On 19/09/2020 at 20:59, Enterprisingwestern said:

The memory might have gone, but have we mentioned the transfers and wagon kits?

I've just found my stash of W&H catalogues and it piqued my interest in MTK again!

Mike.

I still have my now heavily shredded 1970s transfer sheets and raided the wagon set again only recently for a pair of maintenance record 'boxes'. There was so much stuff on these I used to regularly find items I hadn't noticed before! Even 'chalked graffiti' items on there, over 40 years ago. I also have a requirement coming up for the white coach lining too, it's a bit thicker than more modern products but that has its advantages (I'm hoping that it won't fracture with old age when the time comes though - fingers crossed!)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

I picked up an auction lot of MTK kits - most were unmade Mk1s missing various ancilliaries which can all be salvaged and improved with replacement bogies etc. However there was this gem *ahem*.....

IMG_20201103_210827.jpg

IMG_20201103_210845.jpg

Lovely project for the next 4 weeks.

Took me ages to find a bottle of Dettol today at the supermarket, as I have a DJH Caly 0-4-4T in dire need or a complete repaint, (was a cheap eBay find and a DJH chassis arrived yesterday)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Northmoor said:

A lot of these old MTK kits would look so much better if they hadn't been painted using un-thinned gloss paint and a 1" brush.

The average person 40+ years ago could certainly not afford a compressor, and possibly not an airbrush. I could never get the rattle cans to not run, so we were left with Humbrol on non primed metal.

How different it is now, reasonable quality compressors and airbrushes are quite cheap, Halfords sell etched primer, and fast drying thinners make airbrushing a lot easier

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, hayfield said:

The average person 40+ years ago could certainly not afford a compressor, and possibly not an airbrush. I could never get the rattle cans to not run, so we were left with Humbrol on non primed metal.

How different it is now, reasonable quality compressors and airbrushes are quite cheap, Halfords sell etched primer, and fast drying thinners make airbrushing a lot easier

I've not had problems with Halfords rattle cans but I've never used an airbrush; having bought one 20 years ago it's still in its packaging.

The technique with brush painting is to put on a thin coat, let it dry properly (at least 24 hours), then repeat with another thin coat.  This is after you have stirred, stirred and stirred the paint, maybe thinning it down a little.  You can always add another coat, but it's hard to take some away in my experience.  It's just sad to see kits like MTKs, where the builder has done all the really difficult work, apply what looks like a rushed paintjob.  There is no substitute for taking your time.

43 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I've not had problems with Halfords rattle cans but I've never used an airbrush; having bought one 20 years ago it's still in its packaging.

The technique with brush painting is to put on a thin coat, let it dry properly (at least 24 hours), then repeat with another thin coat.  This is after you have stirred, stirred and stirred the paint, maybe thinning it down a little.  You can always add another coat, but it's hard to take some away in my experience.  It's just sad to see kits like MTKs, where the builder has done all the really difficult work, apply what looks like a rushed paintjob.  There is no substitute for taking your time.

Sorry, the rattle cans I have always had issues with are Phoenix and Railmatch. I have never got the hang of them, Halfords are fine, but for primer, I have got used to Phoenix paints and find if I use the same brand primer I get the best results, just bought a new cheapest airbrush and its far better than the cheap one I got with the compressor. And I can paint items far cheaper than buying canned air. Alsi you need to clean the airbrush thoroughly all the time. 

Just taken a look at the DJH  loco in Dettol. The black paint is coming off very well, red and brass not so good. Still only been soaking since 2pm

Edited by hayfield
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've had my little compressor since 1968 and it still works ok. It cost me a fortune in those days. I'm on about my 4th Badger air brush and still can't use it properly.

Back to the OP, I found the MTK instructions and diagrams for the 3 car Gatwick DMU set they used to make. It was one of the few of their kits I managed to finish and run an exhibition layout. Maybe I can do a cut and shut using modern Mk1 sides and Lima DMU underframes to make one? Ive got loads of bits...

Edited by roythebus
typo
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Northmoor said:

A lot of these old MTK kits would look so much better if they hadn't been painted using un-thinned gloss paint and a 1" brush.

...and in the case of this 25, not giving it a completely fictitious number! 

• Agree 1

I'm sure this number was lifted directly off the transfer sheet supplied with the kit (clearly used without awareness/research in this instance). I didn't use anything off this sheet on the one I built, but the '008' part was eventually used to renumber a Tri-ang Class 81 before I sold it on in 1980.

Rummaging through the boxes of part-built things, I found an almost unbuilt MTK class 140 with etched brass sides and other bits and a load of cast bits, but no instructions1 It may be worth trying to build this kit during the latest lock-down in between bus restoration.

Has anyone got a copy of the instructions for this one? I may use a Branchlines 142 motorising kit if they still make it.

• Like 2