Modern Traction Kits

andyman7

On 04/11/2020 at 12:17, Northmoor said:

Isn't this a 24/1, although the number is correct for a 24/0?

The model depicts a 25/1, the number is for a 24/0 but is in Rail Alphabet with a TOPS panel, both wrong for a green SYP loco. But it will all be coming off anyway.....

• Like 1

Going back to the mention I made for the MTK Gatwick/Reading 3 car DMU, what class were they? I can't remember! Did they have the same height windows as Mk1 stock? If they did, I feel a conversion coming on.

I have the MTK drawings for the 3 car set, the centre car having a miniature buffet section.

I'll have a look at the High Level Models Pacer chassis.

I like the 24/25 , a great starting point for a rebuild, like a number that come up on eBay, and without too much effort can be turned around into a decent looking loco... that’s why I enjoy the challenge of mtk locos , lends vastly to enhancing my skills.... and of course look forward to seeing your finished product!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Neil Phillips said:

Two Peaks (one built, one not) and an unassembled 5-car Class 124 DMU kit have gone up on Hattons Pre-owned this morning, if anyone's up for a considerable challenge!

Can't see it selling too soon with the note "This product belongs to the following era(s): Epoch 4 - German: 1971-1985"!

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Two Peaks (one built, one not) and an unassembled 5-car Class 124 DMU kit have gone up on Hattons Pre-owned this morning, if anyone's up for a considerable challenge!

Once upon a time, (before Mainline) that 45 would have been considered drool-worthy.  It looks good, certainly for its time.

I see they also have a Q Kits LMS 10000; which apart from the damage looks decently built and painted as well.

That's a rare beast! Had I not picked up a Silver Fox kit (and all the necessary vehicles to build the thing) earlier this year, I might have been tempted. I do hope that someone from this parish will rise to the challenge though...

Mark

• Agree 3

Mmmm the built peak looks nice , good to see the glazing fits !! , I picked one up off eBay recently ,the photos didn’t really do it justice needs a little additions but is nicely built with twin triang powered bogies.

Shame with the kit that hattons just don’t take that little effort in the photos to show all the parts, as credit to most eBay sales ,people make a really good effort to show you what you are buying. 

• Agree 2

On 29/11/2020 at 18:26, andyman7 said:

Given that the 124 is available as parts from Silver Fox I don't think that anyone trying to speculate on the MTK version will get very far.

M'yes, but having recently sourced the additional parts - donor vehicles, power unit etc - in preparation for the build, without paying stupid money, then there is an attraction in going down the MTK route for some...

Mark

• Like 3

True, although an MTK kit can consume quite a lot of extra funds if it is intended to be finished to a detailed scale standard. For me, I quite like the traditional MTK look so am happy with cast details and Triang motor bogies (although the REP on my workbench has both a Replica chassis and is having the BFK modified to correct the corridor side window/door layout)

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/09/2020 at 00:43, andyman7 said:

My latest MTK acquisition is also a class 40 but joy-of-joys this one predates the availability of commercial 1-Co-Co-1 chassis and features a marvellous lash-up underneath powered by an early (Triang) Hornby Ringfield mechanism borrowed from an early SIlver Seal tender drive loco, with pickups provided by the gubbins of a Triang X337 motor bogie minus armature. And it works! Apart from replacing the missing glazing I'm inclined to leave it as it is, it is very much of it's time, weighs a ton and would have turned heads in the mid 1970s.....

IMG_20200905_171756.jpg

IMG_20200905_171806.jpg

IMG_20200905_171809.jpg

Nice. My EE Type 4 offering, powered by 2x Lima Class 40 motor bogies, is progressing steadily - I've now got the chassis sorted out. I used 2 Lima Class 40 chassis mouldings, (obtained from Peters Spares), cut them down & joined the  motor bogie ends together again. Then the fun of trimming to fit inside the body...

Now that's done, it's <just> a matter of filling & smoothing the joins in the body, before painting & glazing when I get home. Oh, and adding some detailing bits.

It's definitely been easier than my Q Kits CoBo, mentioned upthread - but that, thinking about it, wouldn't be difficult...

It is definitely a weighty beast; it will be interesting to see how much load she can haul :)

Mark

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Progress on my other 33 , covic has locked down the motor repair.

And another one for curiosity on the go , a Q-kits 56 with shawplan widow frames , I need to file the resin down a little more, and, figure out the best way to locate and wire up the power units as surprisingly they both fire up and run well. And also tempted to get the Dremel out and attempt to convert it to a class 69.. perhaps someone will do a 3D print run of the exhaust.

722A0FB7-F580-4510-9817-CF04217876D6.jpeg

28F6D444-AC77-4313-9349-FFBB4B96EC3C.jpeg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Another MTK Class 40 has joined the fold. I'll need to do something about the rather peculiar shade of green but it's rather nice - light fitted too. This is my third, and all 3 have different chassis. This one's on a Mainline mech; another is on a Lima mech and the other is on the most glorious lash up involving an old Hornby SiIver Seal Mk1 Tender Drive mech.

IMG_20210311_165340.jpg

IMG_20210311_165345.jpg

IMG_20210311_165352.jpg

• Like 5

40106 looks ok....and as you say the Green is a bit challenging!  and on a lighter note we both seem to be the prominent eBay trawlers for locos, I picked up an unmade class 24 last week ,all the mouldings look ok and just need a little filing ,so touch wood very little filler will be needed, the glazing looks to be a fair fit as well , a. Hornby class 25 unit will power it.

It would be great if the trail can  flush out some pics of MTK ac electrics ,as those always seem to fetch a hefty premium on EBay .

hattons still have a peak kit on their books , the photos just don’t show enough to judge if any bits are missing.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another MTK kit but this has definitely been made into rather a nice model. It has clearly been professionally built for the original owner. The chassis is made from plasticard with underframe details added and it is powered by a Hornby Ringfield mechanism with new sideframes (which don't look like the slightly anaemic MTK versions), but the bodyshell and ends are MTK. This was part of a huge collection that was put through a south of England auction house. I'm assuming it was an estate sale and it looked like much of the collection had been out of boxes but frankly the auction house did an appalling job of lotting - an awful lot of unboxed/wrong boxed stuff was piled into large lots, 00 and H0 items mixed up etc. 

When going through the catalogue I spotted both halves of this unit in different lots. I got one end, and then bid more than I intended for the lot with the other end, but when I was able to sort through what I'd got there were so many good items hidden in it that I was able to defray the cost and in the end rescued this item for a very modest amount. It didn't run very well as acquired but the mech was thoroughly cleaned and carefully re-lubricated and I fitted extra pickups, it now potters around very happily.

IMG_20210405_125138.jpg

Edited by andyman7
Spelling
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/04/2020 at 20:54, roythebus said:

I've got a Cravens single unit parcels car, motorised with a Lima motor bogie. I used to have a ravens 2-car but that got binned a few years ago when the Bachy one came out.

I think I've got a the MTK Leyland Railbus (class 140?) unmade with etched brass sides. Anyone interested? I'm having a clear-out to to imminent change in domestic circumstances.

Did you ever sell the 140? I’d be interested in it.

13 hours ago, rka said:

does anyone have the D600 Warship kit they'd like to part with?

They do come up on eBay quite often, I have both a warship and Western in my kit pile, both bring back memories of visiting Paddington as a youngster. I hope to enjoy building them sometime, awful kits but have a unique charm. 

• Like 2