Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Loosing Stuff During House Moves

Jim76

• RMweb Premium

I had a box of model boxes that went missing and it was only when I was packing up my N Gauge stuff I realised.

Then about a month ago whilst cleaning under the bed I looked inside a box and there they all were, it was the last place I expected to find them.

Why is it - when you lose something, you always find it in the last place you look...……………?

:locomotive:

...Simply why?

On the grand lifetime experience of two moves involving removal businesses, both of them be it understood careful and hard working operators who did no damage despite very speedy handling, and as it eventually turned out didn't lose anything. Every box was numbered and labelled with content and desired location (married to a librarian) and every box arrived. Though pretty much randomly distributed around the new home, except when directly supervised as to desired location by the two of us. Functional illiteracy in short.

(To the particular credit of the second team, they moved a deep fat fryer complete with oil inside with no spillage whatsoever. Acute preparation for move inability on the part of the owners.)

I just lost a box of mushrooms in my fridge. I searched for it high and low (and the fridge compartment isn't particularly full just now) but eventually gave up assuming I must have eaten them. As soon as I finished lunch, which they were going to be part of,  they turned up in almost plain view. I think next door's cat has been mucking around with spacetime again (as they do). 

Edited by Pacific231G

• RMweb Premium

I attended a customer once, who was moving her business address and on the same day, moving her house as well. So 4 different addresses. No idea if everything arrived safely to its designated new home, but certainly she deserved double points for trying!

I find it stressful moving, let alone double trouble.

So weird that this subject has reared up today as I have found some 0 gauge point work yesterday that was packed up in 2011 when I moved from my house in Runcorn and I had to dismantle a layout that was in the garage. I was having a sort out of some boxes that were marked as ' buildings' and was just checking that make sure that they were ok and having lifted them out of the box I noticed that the base packaging seem quite deep and lifted it up and guess what I found ....1 double slip.......1 three way and 4 turn outs all hand built ....result.  :sungum:  :sungum:  

These have since 2011 travelled to Shrewsbury and were stored in the loft at my Mum's house then in 2013 a move to North Wales and have been kicking around the railway room in this box that I thought only had buildings in. Daft thing is that I have been looking for this track work for well over a year now  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

• Like 1

Dunno - like carpet monsters or something.  16 years, still looking for things....

Still haven't found some books 36 years after a move. And it's not a complete boxful - just a couple.

• RMweb Premium

When we moved after retirement to Cornwall almost three years ago, all the railway stuff was put into big black wheeled plastic boxes with lockable lids, each boxes contents were listed on the iPad notes system (nice and easy while packing away), the boxes cost £15 each and are very strong and fairly easy to move around, but the best thing of all was the listing, I can now just look for the numbered box and find what’s on the list......I cannot believe I was so organised :)

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lost the power supply for my slide scanner. Fortunately it was a common voltage so I was able to get one in the days of Maplin.

Another mystery was my Mainline Collett Goods. Got lost in the late 1980s or early 1990s. My son had a small layout which then accompanied us on two house moves and he had gone of working in other parts. The layout hung on the garage wall for seven years and had deteriorated so was being stripped down for spare materials in 2006. When I took off the engine shed the Collett Goods was up against the back wall.

When we moved after retirement to Cornwall almost three years ago, all the railway stuff was put into big black wheeled plastic boxes with lockable lids, each boxes contents were listed on the iPad notes system (nice and easy while packing away), the boxes cost £15 each and are very strong and fairly easy to move around, but the best thing of all was the listing, I can now just look for the numbered box and find what’s on the list......I cannot believe I was so organised :)

OK as long as you can find the iPad.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Our problem was despite box numbering and a book with all the info in, we ended up moving five times in a year due to the builders inability to build our house.  Temporary accommodation was really hard to get over here then, especially with pets.  So the boxes got corrupted, as we needed something out of one, and filled the space with something else or whatever.  Like the books comment by pH, it isn't a whole box missing, just occasional things we realise we haven't seen since we moved over here.

Edit: We are never, ever, moving again. Never. No. Not. Nada.

Edited by New Haven Neil

• RMweb Premium

OK as long as you can find the iPad.

Well luckily all the info is on the iCloud automatically and despite us having changed iPad since then all the info it’s till there.....and I always said I’d never own an iPad :)

Edited by boxbrownie

• RMweb Premium

Our problem was despite box numbering and a book with all the info in, we ended up moving five times in a year due to the builders inability to build our house.  Temporary accommodation was really hard to get over here then, especially with pets.  So the boxes got corrupted, as we needed something out of one, and filled the space with something else or whatever.  Like the books comment by pH, it isn't a whole box missing, just occasional things we realise we haven't seen since we moved over here.

Edit: We are never, ever, moving again. Never. No. Not. Nada.

I made sure we didn’t mix the important stuff up with the other stuff........the trains were the important stuff LOL