Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Loosing Stuff During House Moves

Jim76

• RMweb Gold

When I still faffed about with 009 someone or something in my parents house ate my Farish pannier tank I had for the chassis. This would be 40 years ago.

It had been on a coffee table in the living room at my parents (40 yes ago I was 18 and still lived with my parents). It just vanished, no one knew anything. I suspect the sofa ate it but when the sofas time came I disemboweled it revealing nothing. 30+ years later when clearing their house out I thought it might reappear in some book or crannies but no.

It was a truly aweful chassis by modern standards. I remember the rods were open ended like spanners. I'm just intrigued to know where it went. (Prime suspect for its disappearance being my mum as she had previous having dusted all the planes off HMS Victorious)

• RMweb Gold

For me the most annoying part of losing stuff whilst moving was the plastic box of trestrol projects. I knew I'd packed all the same sized, (Really Useful Boxes), together in one large Ikea blue bag, but on unpacking they weren't there. I couldn't think what might have happened to them, but as it was some 3 years ago when they were packed, I surmised they had mistakenly got thrown into the skip I had when I emigrated. Behold and lo, last week when attempting to sort some boxes of what were labelled up as books, inside was the box of trestrols, along with a couple of other boxes which I hadn't missed.

Mike.

Beware, I said that 23 years ago, I Have just ignored my resolution and moved, glad I did, but it has definitely strengthened the resolve not to do it again.  

Phil T.

We moved just under 3 years ago after 28 years at the last house, my wife said the same. Now after a large remodelling of the new house we will enjoy it for a few more years thed do what we intended and down size

In preparation of the house move at our last house after converting the garage into a railway room I moved all my all my railway stuff into the room keeping the items in an orderly fashion and was able to find everything. This move a great percentage of my models and parts were kept boxed up for nearly 2 years. I am still having a lot of trouble maintaining the order I had at the previous house and finding items. And its not just me the wife cannot find our old photos !! and just found the binoculars after 2 years of searching (and she is far more organised than me)

We recently returned to the UK from Africa, we sold most of our furniture and only brought back clothes, ornaments, pictures, books, kitchenware, tools, mountain bikes and model railway items.

Our removal company would not insure anything unless it was packed by their packers so we sorted everything into logical piles and left them to it. Once everything arrived we realised how ‘creative’ their packing had been.

We needed to put in any claims for missing or lost items within a month of the boxes arriving in the UK. We spent a frantic few days going through over 130 boxes of completely mixed up household goods. The model railway items were spread over at least ten different boxes.

I expect to be searching for and finding things in strange places for the next few years.

• RMweb Gold

Because when you find it you stop looking, therefore where it was located is the last place that you looked.

:-)

Clearly you should therefore carry on looking after you find it...

A couple of months ago I wasted about an hour hunting for a pair of pliers I needed for a particular modelling job. Having given up, the next evening I went back to the railway room and found them straight away - sitting on top of the layout... As mentioned above, it's down to the cats messing with the space-time continuum...