Lowfits - the uses of

spikey

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here’s today’s efforts .... the Red Panda lowfits converted to twin bolsters.... with Parkside Dundas bolsters - but pins changed to some better looking Hornby ones from spares box, buffers from Lanarkshire Models, lamp brackets from Silver Tay and additional brake rigging and safety loops from NS wire. Just need final weathering now ....

Thanks to @br2975for kicking these off in my head - and to @Fat Controller for encouragement - and also to @twiggy1969 for the transfers. Sorry @hmrspaul but have left the bolsters rigid.....

7C5124A5-F575-4B3D-B783-1FC84F209BD8.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
Photo added
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 12/02/2020 at 11:26, Fat Controller said:

I believe the Duport flow was partially destined for various sister-companies around the Black Country; somehow, they were involved in Slumberland beds. The two-way Cardiff- Scunthorpe flow was the result of 'rationalisation' . Someone like Brian Rolley might be able to give more gen.

I suspect (but don't know) this may have been Scunthorpe supplying the Tremorfa and Castle Works sites with billets after the closure of East Moors, but before the new Tremorfa EAF and concast plant came on stream.

Castle Works (GKN) was receiving billets from Brymbo circa 1973, using 'twin bolster' conversions.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, br2975 said:

I suspect (but don't know) this may have been Scunthorpe supplying the Tremorfa and Castle Works sites with billets after the closure of East Moors, but before the new Tremorfa EAF and concast plant came on stream.

Castle Works (GKN) was receiving billets from Brymbo circa 1973, using 'twin bolster' conversions.

Cheers Brian

When you say billets do you mean the 4" bar or something else?

• RMweb Gold

Pour encourager les autres.... heres some Red Panda kits recently completed - lowfits bashed in to twin bolsters, the kit is designed for this but needs extra Parkside Dundas parts....

If I can do it anyone can - believe me! Biggest issue with these was transfers - both sourcing them,  but sorted thanks to twiggy1969 of this parish, and applying them in to the titchy spaces available on the wagons

• 1 year later...