Hornby - New tooling - Large Prairie

Andy Y

Hornby have announced a new tooling of the large GW Prairie 2-6-2T

Prairie 4154.JPG

Prairie 6100.JPG

Prairie4160.JPG

Prairie6145.JPG

R3719 GWR, Class 5101 'Large Prairie', 2-6-2T, 4154 - Era 3 Due Date: Jul-19    RRP: £139.99

R3719X - DCC Fitted GWR, Class 5101 'Large Prairie', 2-6-2T, 4154 - Era 3 Due Date: Jul-19    RRP: £159.99

R3721 GWR, Class 61xx 'Large Prairie', 2-6-2T, 6110 - Era 3 Due Date: Jul-19    RRP: £139.99

R3721X - DCC Fitted GWR, Class 61xx 'Large Prairie', 2-6-2T, 6110 - Era 3 Due Date: Jul-19    RRP: £159.99

R3723 BR, Class 61xx 'Large Prairie', 2-6-2T, 6145 - Era 4 Due Date: Aug-19    RRP: £139.99

R3723X - DCC Fitted BR, Class 61xx 'Large Prairie', 2-6-2T, 6145 - Era 4 Due Date: Aug-19    RRP: £159.99

R3725 BR, Class 5101 'Large Prairie', 2-6-2T, 4160 - Era 5 Due Date: Aug-19    RRP: £139.99

R3725X - DCC Fitted BR, Class 5101 'Large Prairie', 2-6-2T, 4160 - Era 5 Due Date: Aug-19    RRP: £159.99

EP samples were displayed at Margate in Dec 2018.

Prarie1.jpg

Prarie2.jpg

Prarie3.jpg

Preview 2019 - Press - PDF-074.jpg

Preview 2019 - Press - PDF-075.jpg

Preview 2019 - Press - PDF-076.jpg

Preview 2019 - Press - PDF-077.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

It's nice to see Hornby go back to the drawing board with some of the older elements of it's range including those that they inherited, I'm happy to see them give the Large Prairie a makeover as they really needed to get rid of the moulded shovel and other parts of the old Airfix model, that said I will probably wait until Dapol releases their version to make up my mind as to which way to go, I eagerly await Miss Prism's review of this model.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think the EP's look very nice.

But, at the risk of sounding controversial, I wonder if the kudos actually belong to Dapol. My rationale is such that Hornby have sat on their hands for a very long time, being they (were)' are the only game in town'. Bachmann are also partly guilty of this state of affairs.  But, business is business.

Still, I'm a man of my word. if Dapol continue, I will certainly look to having a couple, and if the Hornby EP turns out nicely, I'll have a couple more.

I wonder if we can persuade Dapol to make a nice little pannier....? 

Cheers,

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

But, at the risk of sounding controversial, I wonder if the kudos actually belong to Dapol. My rationale is such that Hornby have sat on their hands for a very long time, being they (were)' are the only game in town'. Bachmann are also partly guilty of this state of affairs.  But, business is business.

Still, I'm a man of my word. if Dapol continue, I will certainly look to having a couple, and if the Hornby EP turns out nicely, I'll have a couple more.

Cheers,

Ian.

Sorry to repeat what I posted elsewhere on this forum but doesn’t it rather depend on which company did their research first ? The probability is that Hornby R&D were well ahead of the game and chose to play their cards close to the chest.....unlike Dapol who chose to ‘go public ‘ and ran into some apparent difficulties with early revelations which may have levelled the playing field.Add to this,Horrnby’s known problems in accessing production slots and there’s a reason for the “sitting on of hands” .Also remember the experience and expertise of the Hornby team puts them at a distinct advantage and this is no disrespect to Dapol who are new to 4mm rtr steam but who are learning fast.

I’ll have one of each and be happy

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Prediction - Hornby lettering and logos far better than Dapols but come up with yet another strange shade of GW Green while Dapol having got whoever was responsible for the 73s to colour theirs and it comes out a shade that is only GW green depending on the lens of your sunglasses.

Latest incarnations of GW green show a distinct improvement on sagebrush.But you are right to show concern.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers,

Ian.

A little bird tells me that Hornby got off their hands long before the Dapol nonsense appeared as an EP.  And Dapol would have to do a massive amount of work on theirs - like starting from scratch and actually looking at and measuring a real one - if they were to produce anything capable of competing with what we've seen so far of Hornby's model which has such amazing advances on Dapol as having the correct cab roof and the right boiler which actually appears to be pitched at the correct level.  There does appear to be something a bit odd above the numberplate on the smokebox door but we are looking at an EP and there is a need to carefully check which engines had a lowered top lamp bracket but many seem not to have had that change.

If Dapol try to take on Hornby I think I can guess who the winner will be - unless Dapol go for one of the other variants and leave the largest group to Hornby.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

There does appear to be something a bit odd above the numberplate on the smokebox door but we are looking at an EP and there is a need to carefully check which engines had a lowered top lamp bracket but many seem not to have had that change.

Don’t forget too that quite often EP’s show all detail variations possible from the tooling.

My recollection is that if you go back and read the beginning of the Dapol thread there was speculation that either Hornby or Bachmann were going to announced the Large Prairie last year, hence the reason for the strange sudden December 15 announcement from Dapol.  So no kudos to Dapol in all likelihood.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to repeat what I posted elsewhere on this forum but doesn’t it rather depend on which company did their research first ? The probability is that Hornby R&D were well ahead of the game and chose to play their cards close to the chest.....unlike Dapol who chose to ‘go public ‘ and ran into some apparent difficulties with early revelations which may have levelled the playing field.Add to this,Horrnby’s known problems in accessing production slots and there’s a reason for the “sitting on of hands” .Also remember the experience and expertise of the Hornby team puts them at a distinct advantage and this is no disrespect to Dapol who are new to 4mm rtr steam but who are learning fast.

I’ll have one of each and be happy

Hello Ian,  good point.

Dapol did announce the large prairie earlier, so I've always (incorrectly) assumed that the model would arrive from Chirk, not Margate. As such, all of my (incorrect) assumptions have been viewed from that angle. Still, hindsight is always seen in 20/20 vision, and it's not the first time I've been wrong..... 

One thing in all of this that stands out, is the approach taken by the modelling community towards the mogul/prairie project. A very professional approach by the greater community has resulted in a greater détente with the manufacturers, and long may it continue. It does appear that we have a greater clout (and assistance capability) if used responsibly. Happily it seems that we can indeed ask for some of the lesser-known items on the model railway scene.

If Dapol are indeed looking for marketable examples, may I suggest a few?

Armstrong goods, or the Cambrian close cousin. 

A large metro.

Plus, of course, any of the hundreds of examples of 6-wheel Barclays & Hunslets & Hudswells that adorn the UK.

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 5

No side on views of the EP but it looks like the mistake is still there, so unfortunately not a good sign for the model or Hornby.

Maybe Dapol have a chance if they continue and sort out their CAD?

[edit]

Perhaps also an example of the dangers of "competition", where the rush to get a model out first means attention to detail is a sacrificed.

Edited by mdvle

If the Hornby one comes first,and they do unlined black and early BR crest, That is the one I will go for .

I will look at the Dapol one later, then decide if I made the right choice...

Rob

Edited by RobMG

Maybe Dapol have a chance if they continue and sort out their CAD?

Dapol has grasped the Churchward 2.5" cylinder offset, but has gone completely astray on its conn rod and slidebar length (following the repositioning of its cylinders correctly).

The only party to get the Churchward 2-cylinder envelope correct is, err, Heljan. (And I never thought I'd say that!)

• Like 1

I sent a message to Paul Isles about the liveries of the different variations of the large prairie.  He has responded and he is happy for me to put this information on the forum;

R3719 is G W R (plain green)

R3721 is GREAT  WESTERN (plain green)

R3723 is Early Emblem BR (plain black)

R3725 is Late Emblem BR (Lined Green)

• Informative/Useful 1