Hornby - New tooling - Large Prairie

Andy Y

6 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Am I reading too much into the quote marks around manufacturers - sounds like a retailer is going to announce something.....

I believe in the video done at the D class announcement Rails teased that there might be something at Warley.

And while like others it wouldn't surprise me if some announcements are made (other than by Hornby/Bachmann), I wonder if it might be a bit quieter given some of the smaller operators still have a bunch of stuff announced last year to work on.  So it may be down to the retailers and maybe Accurascale.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Legend said:

Hasn't Accurascale said they are announcing something at Warley?   I think it may have been  in a video of the Deltic

I liked Frans reaction to being asked about stock to pull the Deltic.

I’d like some Newton Chambers motorails.

• RMweb Gold
On 04/11/2019 at 08:01, Neal Ball said:

Clearly it would be great if Hornby managed to get a container of Priaries into the country for Warley - that would mean they would need to be on the high seas as we speak. Which if that was the case, they would be shouting it from the rooftops by now - I would if it was my product :-)

Maybe at 09:15 I need to head for the Hornby stand, just in case they have air-freighted an initial batch in :-) 

No chance Neal. I was told January at the earliest today. Don't blame me for its derailment shewn here.

264790730_DSCN6107(2).JPG.44317161cae65e6715926f69d78d7295.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Was there any of the BR ones on show? 

No

15 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Your considered opinion of the green,Robin ?  From here,verging on the pale side but of course it could be down to the lighting etc.

Getting better but still not as good as Bachmann's rendition.

• Informative/Useful 1

IMHO, the best rendition of brunswick green so far produced by Hornby is without doubt the recent release WC and BOB class's.

Appledore, ROC and Trevone paintwork looks superb, which enhances an already superb model.

Let's hope the new prairie lives up to expectations.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
omission
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, gwrrob said:

No chance Neal. I was told January at the earliest today. Don't blame me for its derailment shewn here.

Thanks Robin,

I hope when they arrive, they are in sufficient quantities, so they don’t sell out straight away.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Fireman.. "What's that funny noise?"

Driver. "Because we're off the B*^$8$ road, son, that's why!"

That doesn't look half bad at all. I'd respectfully suggest that it's a shade too black, by my reckoning. Overall, a bit more model, and less toy.  Nice.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

17 hours ago, gwrrob said:

... Don't blame me for its derailment shewn here...

17 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Your considered opinion of the green,Robin ?...

Never mind the derailment or the livery, there's a significant error on view.

Extend the centreline of the piston rod across the wheel faces. It lines up below the axle centres. Should be above the axle centres. My first impression on seeing the photo was that the model looked strangely front heavy, and the reason why is that the cylinder representation comes down too low. (If the model's construction is the usual thing then it will be correctable by any owner willing to tinker; or maybe Hornby will correct before release.)

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Extend the centreline of the piston rod across the wheel faces. It lines up below the axle centres. Should be above the axle centres. My first impression on seeing the photo was that the model looked strangely front heavy, and the reason why is that the cylinder representation comes down too low. (If the model's construction is the usual thing then it will be correctable by any owner willing to tinker; or maybe Hornby will correct before release.)

I doubt they will correct it this late in the production. I wouldn’t have noticed if you hadn’t said anything. 

42 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

1 minute ago, Hilux5972 said:

I doubt they will correct it this late in the production. I wouldn’t have noticed if you hadn’t said anything. 

Always helpful when a mistake is made that someone else can capitalise on, Dapol's rendition will hopefully not have this issue and if it does they have time to engineer a change.

Rather like rushing out the Terrier, although both teams made mistakes, Hornby released theirs to be first and Rails being second could go back to the CAD and alter theirs to be better.

1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Not that it will be obvious at the normal view angle of from above.

Mike Wiltshire

1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Noted in early January.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Indeed, and if anything the piston axis seems to have descended slightly since that observation was made; the offset below axle centres seen on the display sample would be about right if it was above the axle centres. (I have sympathy for those responsible, anyone who has undertaken a significant role in manufacturing will tell you how hard it can be 'getting it all right'.)

It should be very simple to correct (in principle) if the cylinders are on the usual mounting across the top of the main casting.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Indeed, and if anything the piston axis seems to have descended slightly since that observation was made

I agree. We'll have to await the proper production before judging.

Hornby has never had any qualms about busting the loading gauge at cylinder level.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I'd tend to agree. Hornby normally make the cylinders and slide bar assembly as one item, In this case, as Miss P and others note, bringing up the cylinder set, might well prove to solve the problem. I'm still awaiting the model 'in the flesh', so to speak.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

It's one of those things you don't notice until someone points it out, and then you can never, ever, un-notice it. It will haunt your dreams and ruin your life, turning you into an obsessed monster, a pathetic shell of the person you once were, wandering the streets at night muttering incoherently about extended piston centre lines...

The cylinder assembly can be raised to bring the piston centre line to the correct height, but it is possible that this will upset the vital 'sit' of the running plate on the chassis.  The entire body shell would move upwards, and the buffer height would be reminiscent of the Triang/Triang Hornby era, not a desirable result.  I'd be inclined to let matters be and accept the inaccuracy, so look out for a Johnster shaped obsessed monster, a pathetic shell of the... after all, I'm already at the muttering inchoherently stage!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Coppercap said:

Hopefully Hornby are keeping back a stock of 10-spoke front pony wheels for the production batches... 

Well spotted Sir. Star syndrome again..

6145.png.c267d4e4ca02fbeaba43bae7bd7cd5a1.png

Edited by gwrrob
add a photo
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1