Hornby - New tooling - Large Prairie

Andy Y

9 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I reckon the running plate is fine, but I can almost convince myself that there is a rise in it beneath the tank in the top photo and that the tank front is sloping forward in the middle photo.  It's the sort of thing that gets harder to be objective about the longer you look at it, and might be an effect of the camera lens if it is a wide angle one or even of the display case glass; that is, if it exists at all and is not my febrile mind reacting to your suggestion.

I've just put a straight edge over the monitor, which is flat screen, and found no discernible evidence of a rise.  The running plate is dead straight from the top of the front curve to the rear of the cab steps.  But I'll never be completely convinced now...

To me there is clearly a downward slope of the running plate backwards from underneath the "W" of the GWR insignia in the first photo. The section of the plate immediately behind the cab should be parallel with the rearmost section immediately in front of the cab but  does not appear to be.

You are quite right to mention the possibility of optical distortions but given Hornby's record with this issue on other models (and I am thinking particularly of the Castle) I fear they have messed it up again.

Why don't they make the running plate out of metal, like  Bachmann?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I heard a whisper (but not from them) that the Bachmann 94XX might not be as late as September next year.

Thanks, Mike.  I'm probably going to have to wait longer than the initial release for my unicycling lion BR built version anyway.  But Peter Lord has promised to put one of these aside for me when he gets one in stock.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

To me there is clearly a downward slope of the running plate backwards from underneath the "W" of the GWR insignia in the first photo. The section of the plate immediately behind the cab should be parallel with the rearmost section immediately in front of the cab but  does not appear to be.

You are quite right to mention the possibility of optical distortions but given Hornby's record with this issue on other models (and I am thinking particularly of the Castle) I fear they have messed it up again.

Why don't they make the running plate out of metal, like  Bachmann?

I didn’t notice it until it was pointed out. I put a steel rule up against my phone screen and it was so slight that it’s not even noticeable from a distance. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

I didn’t notice it until it was pointed out. I put a steel rule up against my phone screen and it was so slight that it’s not even noticeable from a distance. 

Also, of course, the photo in which it looks worst is reproduced to rather more than life-size, which will emphasise any distortion that does exist.

Another effect in evidence in the larger image is the amount of light reflecting off the deeper, clear area of running plate to the rear of the steam pipe, compared to the areas fore-and-aft of that patch. That will create an illusion or exaggeration of curvature, which application of a straight-edge to the image will correct. The reflection is absent in the smaller view and the model appears straight.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

Unfortunately we're still getting these longitudinal lines on the smokebox between the chimney and the handrails. (The samples of Dapol's mogul all seem to have them too, but they are not nearly so noticeable - I could only just see them, but they are there). 

Edited by Coppercap

• RMweb Gold
On 25/11/2019 at 23:53, Coppercap said:

Unfortunately we're still getting these longitudinal lines on the smokebox between the chimney and the handrails. (The samples of Dapol's mogul all seem to have them too, but they are not nearly so noticeable - I could only just see them, but they are there). 

They are normally 'shut lines' from a mould. The shut lines allow a mould to be made at 90 degrees to its neighbour. It's the sort of line you will find on the mould line on a chimney, being front & rear.

Ian

11 hours ago, The Johnster said:

And quite easy to buff out if you are aware of them, and it's only when you are aware of them that you become bothered by them; thanks for that, chaps...

We never used to get lines there years ago. But quite obviously, if I can clearly see them then I'm aware of them. 

So, how do you buff them out without affecting the paint finish? Buffing out on a satin finish is going to make it shiny anyway, and probably remove paint on the highest spot.

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Coppercap said:

We never used to get lines there years ago. But quite obviously, if I can clearly see them then I'm aware of them. 

So, how do you buff them out without affecting the paint finish? Buffing out on a satin finish is going to make it shiny anyway, and probably remove paint on the highest spot.

I wouldn't know myself. I do know that with a multi-faceted mould, the side blocks need to join up pretty near perfect, or the resultant join will be be noticable, and/or flash occurs. Looking at the mogul (which appears pretty good, BTW), would either indicate a tool clean is required, or the production team have decreed that the shut line falls within their acceptable category. 

I think it looks good, myself. 

Ian.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Coppercap said:

But we got a line at the top as the tooling moulded the bodyshells as mirror image halves, and that had to be buffed out as well.  I weather most of my models and find that a coat of precision applied gunk hides most of the buffing marks, as will varnish.  That has to be applied to any of my locos that have been renumbered, which is all bar 2 of them that coincidentally carry numbers correct for 'my' depot.  One might be surprised at a relatively minor South Wales shed, Tondu, being represented by RTR models in this way, but Hornby's 2761 and Bachmann's 4557 fit the bill.  

If you want to keep your models in 'as new' condition, you will have to put up with such minor imperfections, which are part of the production process.  The incorrect gauge, set of the splashers, and lack of detail inside frames bother me a lot more.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, 9402 Fredrick said:

Hey, was anyone who went to Warley able to get info on if R3719 was gonna be on the current boat to the UK or are the models gonna arrive a bit later?

January is the current date..... although the date has continued to slip, but hopefully they will arrive early in 2020

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Er....I think you get the message....”R” omitted in the interests of brevity.Brevity being,as is often said,the soul of wit.

Is the confusion 3723 not 3273 ?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

O

35 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Er....I think you get the message....”R” omitted in the interests of brevity.Brevity being,as is often said,the soul of wit.

Once again,apologies for my misreading of the catalogue numbers..Ignore this post ...a consequence of a case of jet lag I’m afraid.

• Friendly/supportive 2

If so, then I'm hoping it'll be about two weeks before that one hits Hornby directly, and that the shed code has been added as I remember the earlier deco samples for the two BR verisons a few engine sheds ago being without a shed code on the smokeboxes, also hoping to see a Shirtbutton, BR Lined Green EE, BR Unlined Green LC, and BR Lined Black EE variant of these locos somewhere down the line in the years to come, and some of them being of the earlier 5101s, I am glad to finally have one of the GWR's most iconic mid-sized tank engines being updated, will see at least one in operation on my layout, once completed.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Jet lag, I thought you’d been drinking Ian. No sign of the BR version sample at Warley so maybe they’ve air freighted some over.

Yes it’s logical that they would do this.Hopefully,the others are on the boat.I’m afraid my fuddled brain is up in the air with them.7 hours in the foetal position on one of Mr.Branson’s other conveyances after a hectic week in NYC has somewhat blunted my perception.Mustn’t grumble though....great while it lasted.

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Yes it’s logical that they would do this.Hopefully,the others are on the boat.I’m afraid my fuddled brain is up in the air with them.7 hours in the foetal position on one of Mr.Branson’s other conveyances after a hectic week in NYC has somewhat blunted my perception.Mustn’t grumble though....great while it lasted.

All others are due for spring 2020 according Hornby's site since this week, so not on the boat yet i assume.

R 3723/ x are expected winter 2019-20, so this will ment  after 21 December, so if all goes well before Christmas it will hit the shops very soon.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

They'll turn up when they turn up.    :)

I suppose many of us have already got about half a dozen of them. Or is it just me....  

Still planning on getting one or two though.

Jason

indeed!

Although I though R3721 the Great Western liveried were going to be first.... maybe not then.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...