Hornby - New tooling - Large Prairie

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Hornby Clan and Britannia models were sold for a time with a bag of real coal.

Also there are photos of ECML trans with visible coal at arrival at King's Cross... testament to Gresley, BR and drivers and firemen.

Gresley's locos were not exactly known for especially low coal consumption!

An LMS Coronation on similar duties would burn a similar amount of coal.

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm not surprised that ECML trains arriving at KX sometimes had coal in the tenders, but would assume such to have been stoppers that had had loco changes at Grantham, or Peterborough, a common practice in steam days.  I bet the up Flying Scotsman or Elizabethan never had much left...

I have certainly heard tales of Canton Britannias arriving at Paddington with the tender empty from as far out as Southall, with just enough steam to make it, and that was only the 156 miles from Cardiff!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I'm not surprised that ECML trains arriving at KX sometimes had coal in the tenders, but would assume such to have been stoppers that had had loco changes at Grantham, or Peterborough, a common practice in steam days.  I bet the up Flying Scotsman or Elizabethan never had much left...

I have certainly heard tales of Canton Britannias arriving at Paddington with the tender empty from as far out as Southall, with just enough steam to make it, and that was only the 156 miles from Cardiff!

There were frequent changes of locomotive at either Peterborough or Grantham : in the 50’s the down “Heart of Midlothian “ was one such.So not just stoppers.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

There were frequent changes of locomotive at either Peterborough or Grantham : in the 50’s the down “Heart of Midlothian “ was one such.So not just stoppers.

Very non prairie but definitely relating to a Hornby model announced for this year.  I had very few trips on the ECML between London and York when engines weren't changed at either Peterborough or Grantham, including on one occasion getting a run behind 60700 for the final part of the run to the 'Cross.   A pal of mine who was a Fireman at Top Shed worked a double home Newcastle job which returned working a parcels train with a decent length of stop at Doncaster which allowed a relief crew to get the coal forward while and his mate went for fish & chips so he then had an easier job for the rest of the run to London - where the train usually arrived with nothing but the last sweepings of coal dust in the tender.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

Rails has posted today, details of new Hornby items expected from 15th to 28th June, which includes the GWR livery Prairie R3721 in Great Western logo. Quite a surprise as was expecting the BR black early logo to be first.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, rembrow said:

Rails has posted today, details of new Hornby items expected from 15th to 28th June, which includes the GWR livery Prairie R3721 in Great Western logo. Quite a surprise as was expecting the BR black early logo to be first.

Derails has also confirmed R3721 is the first to arrive, expected within the fortnight.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just to add a bit of confusion, Hornby is now showing the BR black version as 'in stock' on it's website, but not the GWR Great Western version. The BR black version is available for immediate sale and despatch, so presumably pre orders with Hornby will have been processed.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, rembrow said:

Just to add a bit of confusion, Hornby is now showing the BR black version as 'in stock' on it's website, but not the GWR Great Western version. The BR black version is available for immediate sale and despatch, so presumably pre orders with Hornby will have been processed.

Which colour came first off the boat ?  Hornby’s website ,stock levels and deliveries are bizarre. Nothing new there but hey it doesn’t matter. The big Prairies are here.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Probably in reverse order that they were packed into the container.

I can imagine some Chinese gents having a laugh at our expense.... "Quick! Put some lime green ones in the middle! That'll wind up those white devils!

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

skynews-essex-container-hmm-algeciras_5013030.jpg.513c4651f7c58f5c15ac0ead921e22e6.jpg

This 400m brute is the HMM Algeciras, the world's largest container ship, passing Canvey Island on it's way from China to the Thames container port which it berthed at on the 14th.  If the prairies were in one of those boxes than getting them out to the distributors has been very quick work indeed!

I won't be buying one just yet, as I want to see what the Dap version is like first and anyway I can't afford it without dipping in to my 94xx fund.  8448 is more likely at Cwmdimbath than 4145 or 4144, both of which only just scrape into my time frame at each end...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

And now appeared on eBay.....even quicker.

Is it legal to charge for something not yet in stock as this clearly is though.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Is it legal to charge for something not yet in stock as this clearly is though.

Against eBay rules I think.Illegal ? Couldn’t say. How does this guy get his hands on them still ? Thought Hornby had closed up this method of trading. Appears not.....unless of course it IS legitimate. 

• RMweb Premium

With the amount of new stock coming into Hornby over the next few weeks, that might not be the only China to UK ship....

There are currently 19 ships at Tilbury.... although in fairness there are a lot of cruise ships there as well.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Against eBay rules I think.Illegal ? Couldn’t say. How does this guy get his hands on them still ? Thought Hornby had closed up this method of trading. Appears not.....unless of course it IS legitimate. 

Although for the sake of clarity it should be added that Peters Spares also has them on eBay and there should be no question that he is squarely a legitimate retail trader.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Ian,

FYI, Jadlam Racing  are a prolific ebay trader who take the full amount due on pre-order items at the point of sale.

I've bought quite a few "in stock" items in the past and found them good to deal with.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Ian,

FYI, Jadlam Racing  are a prolific ebay trader who take the full amount due on pre-order items at the point of sale.

I've bought quite a few "in stock" items in the past and found them good to deal with.

“Money upfront” before delivery is not uncommon in our hobby.In any case if you use PayPal your money is deducted instantly.Locomotion NRM  do this with commissions...either in part or whole ...depending upon how near the actual date of delivery is. Am I correct in believing Jadlam have a retail premises and that they are Hornby stockists in any case ? 

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, TedW said:

Can anyone point me to where there's a full specification of the model?  For example is it fitted with a speaker or has firebox flicker?

Neither being the case I believe though I might stand corrected on this.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, TedW said:

Can anyone point me to where there's a full specification of the model?  For example is it fitted with a speaker or has firebox flicker?

The Hornby Engine Shed blog might be a good place to start.

As for a glowing firebox feature or pre-fitted speaker, I'm not aware of these.

However, the flickering firebox was a late announcement on the part of the Princess Class shortly before release.

9 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

“Money upfront” before delivery is not uncommon in our hobby.In any case if you use PayPal your money is deducted instantly.Locomotion NRM  do this with commissions...either in part or whole ...depending upon how near the actual date of delivery is. Am I correct in believing Jadlam have a retail premises and that they are Hornby stockists in any case ? 

Purely warehouse based and yes they are Hornby approved stockists according to their website.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

So cringing apologies to Jackson’s Models who as GI Corgi on eBay ARE indeed legitimate .Mea culpa etc.In my dotage I have confused them with another eBay merchant,  Crawls under stone.....

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Just because someone trades on e-bay it doesn't mean they are dodgy.

Many of the "top" model railway retailers also have e-bay shops.

As to my shame I have just acknowledged. Hattons,Rails and others use it too.

• Friendly/supportive 1