Hornby - New tooling - Large Prairie

Andy Y

2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Can you unscrew the PCB and untwist the wiring?

Not confidently! I've had many a bad experience with the soldered joints of Hornby's wiring. The orange wire in particular is well and truly wrapped into a tight spot. I've reassembled and left it for tonight. Thanks for the suggestion.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Henry 84F said:

Not confidently! I've had many a bad experience with the soldered joints of Hornby's wiring. The orange wire in particular is well and truly wrapped into a tight spot. I've reassembled and left it for tonight. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mine didn’t look like that. Blanking plate easily removed. I would consider returning it as this appears to be a manufacturing defect.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, kingmender said:

Mine didn’t look like that. Blanking plate easily removed. I would consider returning it as this appears to be a manufacturing defect.

Either that, or with the body removed, simply take it back to the model shop and ask them to fit the decoder. (Mine wasn’t wired like that, so hopefully this is a one off).

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Henry 84F said:

Evening all, 

Apologies if this has been covered. I'm getting around to DCC fitting my Prairie. This is what I find under the body: the blanking plate tucked underneath the wires that feed the motor. To remove the blanking plate would risk prising these wires from the PCB underneath. Am I being daft? Is there a simpler way?

Thanks,

Henry 

20200831_195425.jpg

Is there not enough slack in the leads to allow them to be moved, Hornby models tend to have far too long leads in them.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder whether this is somebody in the factory using their "initiative" to neaten the appearance by twisting the wires up so there is less slack, not realising the blanking is not a fixture and can be removed?

9 minutes ago, aaron3820 said:

I don’t see an issue with the wiring, move the red wire to the right and the wiring loom should move out of the way clear of the blanking plug

I'm afraid I've tried all sorts of wiggling combinations but to not avail. What the picture doesn't show is how tightly wrapped the wiring is. There is very little play in it and those pins on the blanking plate need more clearance to be set free. Thanks for the suggestion and response.

9 minutes ago, aaron3820 said:

I don’t see an issue with the wiring, move the red wire to the right and the wiring loom should move out of the way clear of the blanking plug

I'm afraid I've tried all sorts of wiggling combinations but to not avail. What the picture doesn't show is how tightly wrapped the wiring is. There is very little play in it and those pins on the blanking plate need more clearance to be set free. Thanks for the suggestion and response.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Henry 84F said:

i’m pretty certain who ever soldered it, did it first, fitted the chip then twisted the wire..

so why not go about it in reverse.. untwist it from the other end away from the pcb.

• RMweb Premium

OK my option 4) - which is also fiddly -  move the red wire round so it's adjacent to the orange wire then grip the bundle of twisted wires close to the blanking  plug and see if they can be untwisted sufficiently to gain enough clearance to remove the blanking plug.

Edited by spamcan61

First up it would be best to check the socket is correctly wired. If not then a fifth option and something I have done with a few Hornby locos, is to remove the socket and all wiring bar any from buried pick up contacts and hard wire a decoder in place. At least by the wires being twisted together I presume the body refits without a problem, you normally have an out of control spiders web of wires that insist on getting trapped between the chassis and the body.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Just posted this video on my Granby Junction thread.....may be of interest to a wider audience

It shows my new prairie equipped with a Zimo decoder and Youchoos Supercap  crawling back and forth over a not very well laid insulfrog double slip.......... Stay Alives certainly make a difference.

For those of a sensitive disposistion:  While no prairies were damaged in the making of this movie I did manage to derailed an Esso tanker.

If you are still awake......

Regards from an autumnal Vancouver

John

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, john dew said:

Just posted this video on my Granby Junction thread.....may be of interest to a wider audience

It shows my new prairie equipped with a Zimo decoder and Youchoos Supercap  crawling back and forth over a not very well laid insulfrog double slip.......... Stay Alives certainly make a difference.

For those of a sensitive disposistion:  While no prairies were damaged in the making of this movie I did manage to derailed an Esso tanker.

If you are still awake......

Regards from an autumnal Vancouver

John

I'm waiting for the director's cut with none of the action cut out. 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Vistisen said:

I'm waiting for the director's cut with none of the action cut out. 

Do you mean the derailed tanker? To my embarrassment that was there from start to finish.

Cheers

john

• Friendly/supportive 1

On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 19:57, Henry 84F said:

... the blanking plate tucked underneath the wires that feed the motor. To remove the blanking plate would risk prising these wires from the PCB underneath.

20200831_195425.jpg

Move the red wire around the right hand end of blanking plate toward the orange wire, and then the wiring bundle should all be able to be moved clear of the left hand end of the blanking plate.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Derails Models said:

Overnight we've received the invoice for the most popular of Praires - the Late BR Green model! That means they'll be arriving here (and with your local model shop) over the next few days!

Enjoy :-) 

Very diplomatic of you Dan for refering to this model as " Late BR Green".

Will it be Brunswick Green which is too light, too dark or flat in appearance I wonder ?

Nevertheless, a welcome addition to the range.

• Agree 1

Hattons have just charged my card for the BR green prairie. Great service, I'd recently transferred my Hornby orders to them after another retailer stopped trading with Hornby. They merged two orders and the combined order went over their free next day delivery value. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It would be helpful if images other than those directly copied from the official Hornby website were available to see as at least from my point of view the finish is crucial.Sorry for the reference that dare not speak its name but this is where Rails imaging is sorely missed. Need a proper job somebody please not just the Hornby one.

Thanks in anticipation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

It would be helpful if images other than those directly copied from the official Hornby website were available to see as at least from my point of view the finish is crucial.Sorry for the reference that dare not speak its name but this is where Rails imaging is sorely missed. Need a proper job somebody please not just the Hornby one.

Thanks in anticipation.

I don't have my photo backdrop with me today, but if no-one else has posted one by tomorrow morning, I'll get a photo up here for you Ian :-)

• Thanks 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Thanks in anticipation.

I suspect the priority is getting the orders posted out rather than photographing for those who might buy one depending on which green Hornby has chosen this time :)

• Friendly/supportive 1