Hornby - New tooling - Large Prairie

Andy Y

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

A good thought Neal. Perhaps cut the door off, put the crew in in then fix the door back in the closed position? We'll see...

That is what I have done - driver only at the moment - I may assume the fireman is head down somewhere looking for fire irons!

Petrox

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Must admit I'd never really thought about the fireiron issue before, and it's interesting that prairies did not have the usual 3 or 4 fireiron curly bracket things on the rear face of the bunker, whereas all panniers do. GWR standardisation strikes again...  ahem

Whether stashed on top of prairie tanks or on the back of pannier bunkers, ready access to fireirons would seem to be difficult in either case, so I guess some form of in-cab stowage was also present on panniers.

There is of course ad hoc stowage as well.

Brian's photo (linked on. an earlier post) shows only the short 'pricker' (also known as the short bar) in the cab and out in service it should really have been all that was needed.  It was possibly a bit shorter than ideal for its intended task but equally it was obviously all that could be accommodated manoeuvred in the cab while working a train.  However sometimes putting the bar in (the fire) could create more trouble than the Fireman was trying to solve when the fire was clinkering.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Must admit I'd never really thought about the fireiron issue before, and it's interesting that prairies did not have the usual 3 or 4 fireiron curly bracket things on the rear face of the bunker, whereas all panniers do. GWR standardisation strikes again...  ahem

Whether stashed on top of prairie tanks or on the back of pannier bunkers, ready access to fireirons would seem to be difficult in either case, so I guess some form of in-cab stowage was also present on panniers.

There is of course ad hoc stowage as well.

On some locos, possibly BR standard 4mt?, I believe that the front windows open, and access to items stowed on the tank tops could be via the windows?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Sarahagain said:

On some locos, possibly BR standard 4mt?, I believe that the front windows open, and access to items stowed on the tank tops could be via the windows?

LSWR/SR M7s had such spectacles, and I think at least some of the Hornby ones are modelled with them in the open position.

The real issue with fire-irons on larger tank locos is that the fireboxes are as long as those on tender locos of corresponding size and similar design, but having a back to the cab limits the clearance required to "swing" tools of the necessary length. One reason for the provision of the "cupboard doors" over the bunker on GW Prairies, 2-8-0Ts etc.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Having had fun paddling out the fire on a GWR 5700 Pannier Tank I can vouch for the limited area to swing the hot stuff around and out of the door hole!

Oh the fun we had... ;) those were the days...:rolleyes:

And to think, I really wanted to work in a Signal Box at the time....

Edited by Sarahagain
More added
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I doubt these locos, probably Rails’ final stock after knocking them out at an already good price for a few weeks, will ever be cheaper new, and probably not much cheaper second hand for one in good condition and running with the box, which is a bit frustrating as there’s no way I can take advantage of the offer without compromising funds for my long-awaited Bachmann 94xx, on order from Rails at £106.  I’ve already caned it a bit this month with spending which included an eBay Hornby improved tooling Airfix-type body for my latest donated Airfix chassis, a very good runner, for Trigger’s Broom, my current 5101 which has been on the go since about 1985, my ‘oldest’ loco... 

There is no chance of Rails having stock of these for long, and Trigger’s Broom will have to do for some time yet.  AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

And, scene; glad I’ve got that off m’chest!

To be a bit more serious, while it might be of some benefit to those who can pounce on deals like this (not moaning, this is the way of the world and you can’t win ‘em all; I’ve never paid full price for a brand new loco since returning to the hobby 4 years ago and have done pretty well overall), disputes between major manufacturers and major retailers are not good for the hobby any more than poor financial performances from one major manufacturer and continental drift lead times from another are.  One hopes that the spat is resolved and normal service resumed soon, but don’t hold your breath!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

Thanks to Mike & Keith for highlighting he discount. I've ordered one today.

Cheers,

Ian.

Thank's to Mike for the heads up.

Mine arrived today, haven't yet unpacked it.

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/10/2020 at 22:07, lofty1966 said:

Persuaded the G/F to treat me to one for Crimble!

Keeper.

5 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Thanks to Mike & Keith for highlighting he discount. I've ordered one today.

Cheers,

Ian.

You are more than welcome to give it a test run at Cwmdimbath, Ian, when the lockdown is eased.  

• Thanks 1

On 09/10/2020 at 21:59, Sarahagain said:

Having had fun paddling out the fire on a GWR 5700 Pannier Tank I can vouch for the limited area to swing the hot stuff around and out of the door hole!

Oh the fun we had... ;) those were the days...:rolleyes:

And to think, I really wanted to work in a Signal Box at the time....

Try cleaning or chucking out a fire on a Terrier , a 57xx is so spacious 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 25/10/2020 at 19:04, Great Eastern Lady said:

Try cleaning or chucking out a fire on a Terrier , a 57xx is so spacious 

Strangely enough, I didn't mind  firing to Terriers. Keeping away from the blessed Westinghouse was the main thing! 

• Like 2

A short running session featuring the superb Hornby Collett 5101 Class 'Large Prairie' 2-6-2T, edited with real sound. 
Sounds are provided by a number of similar class members from my sound collection, captured at various Gala and Preserved Railways over the past few years.
Here we see No. 4154 finished in smart GWR Green livery in action, hauling a short rake of GWR clerestory coaches.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Lovely layout.

Synch seems slightly out - 4.5 'chuffs' per revolution more or less but great effort.

Thanks for sharing and looks fantastic.

Al.

Yeah, spotted that after uploading. Was a bit of rush to get this one done on a busy evening, will have to give it another go at some point

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Is anyone please able to comment as to whether the 41xx and the 61xx models have any detail differences? For example safety valve bonnets, whistle shields, bunker fenders; that sort of thing?

Thank you in anticipation.

CoY

Ive not had any GW through yet, however the bunker steps on 41/51/61 on the fireman’s side are extant on the BR liveries, and (correctly), not on the GWR livery models. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

As far as I know the only difference is the pressure of the boiler, however others more knowledgeable on GW tanks may have a better view.

Some 61xx were fitted with London Transport tripcock gear to work on to the ‘widened lines’ District Rly platform roads at Paddington.  Apart from that the 5101s and 61xx were much the same, within the detail differences occurring within each class.  

• Like 1

On 17/09/2020 at 23:43, Caddy said:

Just in case this helps anybody....

I found my model of 4154 to generally be a fine runner but there was some slight hesitation on a Peco 3 way point and at one place when I had built a barrow crossing using old ERG sleepers (remember them!). I suspected pick up adjustment may be needed so removed the body.  I looked at the pickups and all looked in order so just for the heck of it I replaced the front pony truck and tried the chassis by itself and "voila" not a hiccup in sight. OK I thought put the body back on minus the screws, still no hesitation at all. Right put the screws back and yes, you guessed it I had a slight hesitation on the Peco 3 way point and at the barrow crossing...................

Of course I removed the screws again and all was fine. I know this is absolutely ridiculous but with no body holding screws the loco is immaculate and as soon as I even lightly turn the retaining screws it starts misbehaving. Since the loco rarely leaves the layout she is running now with no retaining screws and all is well. Maybe in a month or two I might try putting them back in...................

Honestly if this was April 1st I could understand it ................

Just received a new Large Prairie (Black) and found that it will not run through code 100  dead frog double slips without stopping. Have checked b2b's and wheel wipers and all is fine, Its only 6 wheel pick up which is disappointing as all wheel pick up would have been better imo and at £100 + you would expect it. . I am going to try Caddy's suggestion about the body screws, but wondering if anyone else has problems with this loco on double slips?

• Informative/Useful 2