Hornby - New tooling - Large Prairie

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I suspect there is no one on RMweb who is unaware of the episode given the virtual pitchforks that come out anytime someone posts anything critical about a model to remind everyone that we shouldn't risk offending a manufacturer.

While I suspect I didn't get to see the issue, going to the opposite extreme and effectively banning any critique of a model diminishes the usefulness of what is supposed to be a discussion forum where experts can share their knowledge with those of us who are trying to learn.

Well, it is a discussion forum, after all. One thing is a sort of situation is being interrogative, whilst keeping the gloves on. I think it's easier to lead, than push the beast. Some of the best client/producer interaction has happened in the last 2 years, and long may it continue. From a modellers perspective, it seems we're getting pretty close to the time where modellers are starting to give constructive support to the hobby to the benefit of all. I guess it depends on how you pitch the question. Reasoned discussion, or smash & grab?

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

I suspect there is no one on RMweb who is unaware of the episode given the virtual pitchforks that come out anytime someone posts anything critical about a model to remind everyone that we shouldn't risk offending a manufacturer.

While I suspect I didn't get to see the issue, going to the opposite extreme and effectively banning any critique of a model diminishes the usefulness of what is supposed to be a discussion forum where experts can share their knowledge with those of us who are trying to learn.

You obviously have an issue with this.That being the case,the course of action available to you is to pursue the matter further with an approach to those whose task is to moderate the workings of this forum.Presumably you will have read forum rules in which case sharp pointed instruments will be unnecessary..This is ....or ideally should be....a matter of common sense.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A couple of nice images of the first EP at the end of March’s Engine Shed. More details about the Prairies in April’s Engine Shed next month. 

610DE89A-CDA6-49A7-AEFB-6AF1D2A2A141.jpeg

39760037-CB7A-4843-B5AF-467DC88994DE.jpeg

Edited by Hilux5972
Spelling correction
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Manors are a perennial wishlist item and one gets the impression that the manufacturers are all scared to dip their toes in the water for fear of somebody undercutting and beating them to market with a well advanced model.  Like Dapol's recent burning with this very model.

This is a fine looking model, though, and if one comes along in a while at a price that I can't resist, well, then, I'm not responsible for my lack of resistance, am I?  But it has to be a low priority; my locos are constrained by being allocated to Tondu between 1948 and 1958, my nominal period, and only 2 5101s qualify.  4145 was allocated new to the shed in 1946 but transferred away in at the end of March 48. and 4144 (a loco I remember well from it's Severn Tunnel Jc days in the early 60s) transferred in at the end of September 58.  4145 would be the one to go for IMHO, in unlined green G W R initials livery.

• Like 3

For me this EP doesn't have the same WOW factor as the EPs for the Bachmann 94xx. The detail doesn't seem to be so fine.

There also seems to be the problem (As with the 42xx) of the upturn to the front buffer beam possibly related to the boiler stays.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, B15nac said:

If I'm honest I can't believe the manor hasn't already been updated as I believe it will Be a extremely popular model. 

Kind regards Neil 

You'll probably get a Saint first (from Hornby), especially as the GWS one has recently steamed for the first time and will be unveiled to the public in the near future.

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, 89A said:

For me this EP doesn't have the same WOW factor as the EPs for the Bachmann 94xx. The detail doesn't seem to be so fine.

There also seems to be the problem (As with the 42xx) of the upturn to the front buffer beam possibly related to the boiler stays.

Do bear in mind that I screenshotted these from engine shed and the photos themselves weren’t 100% clear so it could just be that. 

And yea I hadn’t noticed the slight ski jump right at the front. Hopefully that’s just an issue with the first ep and not transferred to the production models. 

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, B15nac said:

If I'm honest I can't believe the manor hasn't already been updated as I believe it will Be a extremely popular model. 

I'm holding out hope for it. I've resisted buying an old Mainline/Bachmann one in anticipation.

• RMweb Gold

I read the photos as showing the black plastic of the keeper plate extending to the rear of the loco, which would suggest the correct 'radial' floating axle arrangement, something similar to the Bachmann 56xx or 45xx/4575.  I am no expert in such matters, but would have thought that this sort of arrangement is easier and cheaper to produce than a separate pony truck anyway, not to mention saving an assembly operation and a screw with washers, though of course the old Airfix/Hornby large prairie had a pony, as IIRC did the even older Graham Farish, probably with 13 inch radius train set curves in mind!

There've been some comments about the crispness of the moulding cf the Bachmann 94xx photos, and close up it does come over as a bit 'blobby' around the bunker steps and chimney lip, but is not a bad representation overall and I will not be complaining about it.  It looks enough like a 5101 to me, one of my favourites back in the day and a handsome, nicely proportioned, beast compared to the gawky 4575s.  Might make a difference when it comes to buying though; we have yet to see how good or otherwise the Dapol version is.  Dapol need to be encouraged as much as possible and put in a good mood IMHO so that they will, in a fit of optimism, release the diagram N auto trailer in 4mm which I want...

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 17:17, The Johnster said:

Manors are a perennial wishlist item and one gets the impression that the manufacturers are all scared to dip their toes in the water ...

I believe Hornby having already ventured the ever so, ever so, wanted Grange, I would buy all 80 in class really I would, really and truly; are perhaps a little wise to this idea. Another Swindon 2 cylinder taper boiler 4-6-0 indistinguishable to all but a very few from the other Swindon 4-6-0s we make? Perhaps not this year...

1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I believe Hornby having already ventured the ever so, ever so, wanted Grange, I would buy all 80 in class really I would, really and truly; are perhaps a little wise to this idea. Another Swindon 2 cylinder taper boiler 4-6-0 indistinguishable to all but a very few from the other Swindon 4-6-0s we make? Perhaps not this year...

You are probably right. I’m expecting the Manor to be a blue box retool announced close to release. With Bow ended suburban coaches and a retooled Prairie this year from Hornby, am thinking the GWR probably won’t feature highly for Hornby in 2020. But never say never and they will be looking for a showstopper for their 100year anniversary. I have my wish list but this is not the right thread and it’s only April so I will keep my powder dry!

I’m hoping for a pre war Prairie livery in 2020.

• RMweb Gold

Hornby, having produced a Grange to acceptable modern standards, are in a pretty strong position to introduce a current standards Manor based on the Grange underpinnings (assuming that the Grange mech can be made to fit inside the smaller Manor body tooling).  It will be interesting to compare the Grange mech to the new 5101 mech when it arrives; this can also be potentially used under a Manor body. 

Similarly, the Dapol mogul and 5101 could also form the basis of a Manor mech.  

But my feeling is that H have had years to attempt a Manor, and have shown no interest.  Neither have Bachmann, who might be expected to have a claim on the class, bothered with one to current standards.  My uninformed view is that Dap are the front runners here. 

If if they do not produce the goods, surely there is an opening for a retrofit body kit or moulding for the Hornby Grange mech. 

It always amuses me when people say "all GWR locos look the same", or in the case of a recent post justify the non-production of a GWR loco by saying they're indistinguishable. Personally I wouldn't be able to tell a Merchant Navy from a West Country, a Royal Scot from a Patriot, or Peppercorn's A1s from his A2s. Nor is there much distinction between a Clan and a Britannia in my eyes. None the less we have RTR models of all of them! Personally I suspect a newly tooled Manor would sell rather well, if only because they have been such a familiar and popular type on Britain's preserved railways. They now have a reputation and profile far removed from that in the steam era.

Edited by 7007GreatWestern
  • Like 2
  • Agree 7

Here is some film taken earlier today of two "Swindon 2 cylinder taper boiler 4-6-0s indistinguishable to all but a very few".

Those of you unable to distinguish between them are politely invited to visit this website where you might find assistance:-

https://www.specsavers.co.uk/stores

Edited by 7007GreatWestern
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Yes but Hornby had years to give us a new Large prairie and they had no interest, until now. They may surprise us next year.

Not quite; they had the old Airfix large prairie in various guises for some time, while they've never had a Manor.  It was unlikely they'd produce a new 5101 while they thought the old one had any mileage left in it, and I'm mildly, though not unpleasantly, surprised that they are going for one now; I'd have been less surprised to see the Airfix version reprised as a Railroad item.

They have within the last year been quite happy to re-release the old Airfix auto trailer warhorse, and have even revisited Lord of the Isles and the shorty clerestories, admittedly promoting these as 'retro' models.  The clerestories will sell solidly because the panelling is very good on them, and they scrub up fairly well with a bit of work, but are actually very crude things of a standard which would not be even close to acceptable on a new tooling.  Hence my pleasant surprise at the new 5101.  My surprise at the Collett Suburbans was even greater and more pleasant; did not see those coming, but glad when they arrived!

But you could have the last laugh on this yet, Hilux, and they may still surprise us next year!

• Agree 1