Hornby - New tooling - Large Prairie

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

See gwr.org.uk for updated info about GWR Locomotive Green and some of the factors that affected it's appearance over the years:

http://www.gwr.org.uk/liverieslococolour.html

The colour obviously has some variability but an average cleanish GWR loco should be within a reasonably well-defined region.  (I say “average cleanish” because most people wouldn't want a model with a non-average colour and clearly the model is meant to look clean.)

After factoring out lighting conditions, the colour reproduction of the image and any effects of scale (which is debatable) the question is, does the new model's colour look right within that average range of possible colours?

At the moment, we can't really tell - but it does look suspiciously like it's on the outer edges of the possible colour range.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 26/04/2019 at 19:26, Hilux5972 said:

An image from The Prairie Papers No.1 shows an almost identical view of No.4154 and in the same livery. Only mistake I can see is the tall safety valve bonnet when it should be short. Looks pretty spot on apart from that! 

Were short safety valves fitted across the class as I'm looking at possible renumbers when released and Alan Gibson does the short version as a casting.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I'm fairly sure (without checking) that all the 4101s had the shorter safety valve cover (including those numbering in the 51XX series.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

10 years seems an unusually long time for a large Prairie without a repaint.

Perhaps, but it wasn't unknown for some locos to be left out-of-use behind the shed for stand-by purposes, for a few years before being officially withdrawn. Others were regarded as below par performers and little-used, and on undemanding duties when they were.

The short period between 5165's arrival at Horton Road and its withdrawal possibly suggests it wasn't up to much on arrival. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

10 years seems an unusually long time for a large Prairie without a repaint.

That implies 10 years without a general overhaul which seems bit unusual.  5165 was withdrawn in February 1958 so the date could be correct although I don't recognise the view as actually being on Swindon dump although it could well be at Swindon.

Some of the 51XX series appear to have been built with tall safety valve covers if published photos are any guide with the lower cov er appearing sometime in the 1930s.  I suppose the $64,000 question is how many of the tall covers survived once the shorter type had become the standard - only accurately dated photos are likely to answer that question.  And that's before we even think about boiler swaps.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The only clues to the location are the factory buildings in the background and the stack of whatever is being stacked between that and the loco, and it is possible that the rake of what look like ex-works steel minerals might help as well, but I'm not sufficiently conversant with the scene at the more obscure parts of the Swindon complex to say.  From the look of the loco I'd say it's probably withdrawn; tyre surfaces and buffer shanks are already rusting.  

4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

The same photo is in GWR Locomotives To Scale by Ian Beattie. Photographer Frank Hornby.

And in the RCTS photo archive.

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/steam-gwr/5101-class-2-6-2t/hC79F1073#hc79f1073

That would imply to me it's correct.

Jason

That link also has another view of 5165 taken at Snow Hill in June 1957, with the tall cover

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/steam-gwr/5101-class-2-6-2t/hC79F1073#ha0f85033

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Fine looking model that captures the prototype well; I always found the large prairies to be very handsome locos.  Hadn't noticed the pipework behind the cab steps before; excellent touch!  And with the Baccy 94xx apparently delayed until September, I might be tempted...

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Premium

Lovely photo @jamespetts  it was all a bit of a scrum when I went on the Hornby stand. I also thought the lighting of the few models in the cabinets to be very poor. (They weren’t lit).

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I would really like to see an example in the flesh to gauge the colour as the green still has a little bit too much of an olive tinge to it compared to the Post 1928 Locomotive Green that it would be wearing, it may be due to the lighting in the cabinet.

Edited by David Stannard

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Is it just me or do these photos show that this model also suffers from running plate distortion?

I reckon the running plate is fine, but I can almost convince myself that there is a rise in it beneath the tank in the top photo and that the tank front is sloping forward in the middle photo.  It's the sort of thing that gets harder to be objective about the longer you look at it, and might be an effect of the camera lens if it is a wide angle one or even of the display case glass; that is, if it exists at all and is not my febrile mind reacting to your suggestion.

I've just put a straight edge over the monitor, which is flat screen, and found no discernible evidence of a rise.  The running plate is dead straight from the top of the front curve to the rear of the cab steps.  But I'll never be completely convinced now...

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Fine looking model that captures the prototype well; I always found the large prairies to be very handsome locos.  Hadn't noticed the pipework behind the cab steps before; excellent touch!  And with the Baccy 94xx apparently delayed until September, I might be tempted...

I heard a whisper (but not from them) that the Bachmann 94XX might not be as late as September next year.

• Informative/Useful 4