Hornby - New tooling - Large Prairie

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

I like the motion work colour.

B7C80955-D353-4A40-B4E8-ACCD8656D64B.jpeg.6f5a6be63d0e7bde23200967c99d175d.jpeg

The colours on the BR black version are very good, with a good  satin finish. The motion has definitely been treated and is nicely done. Build quality is excellent and it runs well (DC).

Edited by PMP
Add words
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 7

13 minutes ago, PMP said:

B7C80955-D353-4A40-B4E8-ACCD8656D64B.jpeg.6f5a6be63d0e7bde23200967c99d175d.jpeg

The colours on the BR black version are very good, with a good  satin finish. The motion has definitely been treated and is nicely done. Build quality is excellent and it runs well (DC).

And for those of you watching in black and white, 6145 is black (mostly).

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, robmcg said:

I have just bought one from Kernow too, having received a purchase from them delivered to me in NZ in less than two weeks, about 10 days ago. Brilliant! I know couriers are inconsistent with Covid-related various issues, but thought that in light of Hornby's Annual Report out today stressing their minimal discounting, I'd better act now. And our dollar is at 51.7p... 

Here is Kernow's beautiful copyrighted image,    which together with their other photos, and equally nice ones from Rails and others, sealed it for me, having built Kitmaster versions in the 1960s. How could I not buy one?

I detect Chris Nevard's hand, or influence,  in the photo. Great work.

6145_61XX_prairie_Image1abc.jpg.11136118f468e8c64f59095d3dde28c2.jpg

Hmm, a bit of a problem, sadly. Either someone has photo shopped the image, or someone has used a knife. You can't help but notice the cylinder drains are missing. The previous B&W photos show these in place. Normally, I'm fully in support of the pictures, but not really when they are there  to advertise a model.

If I've got it wrong, I'm more than happy to apologise. From what I've seen thus far, the model can stand upon its own merits, as it looks very good. 

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Hmm, a bit of a problem, sadly. Either someone has photo shopped the image, or someone has used a knife. You can't help but notice the cylinder drains are missing. The previous B&W photos show these in place. Normally, I'm fully in support of the pictures, but not really when they are there  to advertise a model.

If I've got it wrong, I'm more than happy to apologise. From what I've seen thus far, the model can stand upon its own merits, as it looks very good. 

The brake gear pulls are missing on all the photos;)

How about steam heating pipes?

• RMweb Premium

The drains are in the accessories pack together with the brake pull rods and pipe.

When taking images like these you don’t open the bags as the model would then be ‘second hand’. If the photographer fits the components and fits them incorrectly, you can assume the foamati would be howling across the internet in nanoseconds that

the manufacturer had got the model wrong.

Edited by PMP
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, PMP said:

The drains are in the accessories pack together with the brake pull rods and pipe.

When taking images like these you don’t open the bags as the model would then be ‘second hand’. If the photographer fits the components and fits them incorrectly, you can assume the foamati would be howling across the internet in nanoseconds that

the manufacturer had got the model wrong.

Thanks old chap.  Perhaps it would help a little if a little bit of clarity was included. If nothing else, it stops pedants bashing the keyboard. 

Naturally, pedants are few & far between on forums such as this..... 

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good looking loco; good finish and I’m pleased to hear it runs well. 

Our family hollys, also with a 100E Prefect (de luxe, had a heater) used the Severn Tunnel Ferry if we were heading for Cornwall.  It saved about 70 miles of the A48 and the dreaded A38 via Gloucester, and avoided the sometimes very long queues for the Beachley-Aust ferry, which was the route we used for the South Coast. 

You had to book for the ferry, a BCK with an SK as a strengthener if needed, hauled by one of STJ’s large prairies, or a Hymek in it’s final year.  The 4 wheel carflats were replaced by bogie vehicles on GW underframes from scrapped coaches in about ‘62.  The cars loaded/unloaded from end loading docks on the up side at STJ and Pilning; their drivers drove them on but passengers were not permitted.  Drivers were instructed to leave them in gear with the handbrakes on.  Railway staff secured them, and for an extra charge would fit a tarp sheet to keep the muck off.  Dormobiles and caravans that fitted within the loading gauge were carried as well. 

Unsurprisingly, on a busy main line through the Tunnel, the loco was powered down the gradient into the hole, and thrashed uphill out the other side to keep out of the way, so it was always fun.  Unprotected vehicles would not only pick up soot from the prairie and any train coming the other way, but a good bit of black tunnel slime, lovely stuff made of a mix of river mud and sulphurous locomotive deposits, acidic enough to sting if you got it on your hands.  

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Good looking loco; good finish and I’m pleased to hear it runs well. 

Our family hollys, also with a 100E Prefect (de luxe, had a heater) used the Severn Tunnel Ferry if we were heading for Cornwall.  It saved about 70 miles of the A48 and the dreaded A38 via Gloucester, and avoided the sometimes very long queues for the Beachley-Aust ferry, which was the route we used for the South Coast. 

You had to book for the ferry, a BCK with an SK as a strengthener if needed, hauled by one of STJ’s large prairies, or a Hymek in it’s final year.  The 4 wheel carflats were replaced by bogie vehicles on GW underframes from scrapped coaches in about ‘62.  The cars loaded/unloaded from end loading docks on the up side at STJ and Pilning; their drivers drove them on but passengers were not permitted.  Drivers were instructed to leave them in gear with the handbrakes on.  Railway staff secured them, and for an extra charge would fit a tarp sheet to keep the muck off.  Dormobiles and caravans that fitted within the loading gauge were carried as well. 

Unsurprisingly, on a busy main line through the Tunnel, the loco was powered down the gradient into the hole, and thrashed uphill out the other side to keep out of the way, so it was always fun.  Unprotected vehicles would not only pick up soot from the prairie and any train coming the other way, but a good bit of black tunnel slime, lovely stuff made of a mix of river mud and sulphurous locomotive deposits, acidic enough to sting if you got it on your hands.  

Thanks for sharing this little tale - I love posts like this which do as much to add life to our expensive plastic toys as any amount of weathering. Same with Robs model montages - it all helps bring the subject to life :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The parcel that has been sat patiently all day has been opened. 

The prairie is really good so far. Currently running in but seems to be a smooth runner. Detail very fine and no wobbles in the running plate. 

I'm very happy with it and hope - touch wood - to stay that way.

Henry 

More images on my Twitter - @KitchenTrains 

1592579282265.jpg

Edited by Henry 84F
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 5

9 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

The model is sold without cylinder drains.   All shop photos such as the one you are having problems with are not so far as I know photoshopped.  It is marked as a Kernow photo. It has their scenery or that of their photographer. They do NOT misrepresent their products and in fact take pride in their integrity and professionalism.

I showed it not because I have any relationship with Kernow, other than occasional customer, but because many want to see the new model as it is sold in shops.

Previous photos here have been used by shops and were of pre-production models with cylinder drains.

Why in the name of anything would a shop or photographer cut cylinder drains off?  All shop photos where the shop has used the actual model for sale, and many don't, show no drains fitted. You are being very unkind to Kernow.

So you are wrong in my opinion.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, robmcg said:

The model is sold without cylinder drains.   All shop photos such as the one you are having problems with are not so far as I know photoshopped.  It is marked as a Kernow photo. It has their scenery or that of their photographer. They do NOT misrepresent their products and in fact take pride in their integrity and professionalism.

I showed it not because I have any relationship with Kernow, other than occasional customer, but because many want to see the new model as it is sold in shops.

Previous photos here have been used by shops and were of pre-production models with cylinder drains.

Why in the name of anything would a shop or photographer cut cylinder drains off?  All shop photos where the shop has used the actual model for sale, and many don't, show no drains fitted. You are being very unkind to Kernow.

So you are wrong in my opinion.

Hello Rob, no problems. I was under the assumption that due to the lack of cylinder drains, the photo had been 'shopped'. Hornby have appeared to move the game on.

Best wishes,

Ian.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Thanks for the image Rob.It shows the model in a far better light I think.Anyway it’s a less plasticky black than others.

Thank Kernow, not me.  Their images sold it to me, order already despatched. 

I think I'll have a Swindon weekend, with the Red Dragon book for inspiration! 

Cheers

edit, maybe I'll re-number 6145 to a 51XX or 41XX to suit South Wales , if they ever got that far! :)

Must check my library of books re allocations. Im presuming the only significant change for 61XXs was boiler pressure. Then maybe I can have a wider choice of early-50s stock behind than on London area work.

edit; 4110 and 4142 are illustrated in the book 'The Red Dragon and Other Old Friends' in South Wales, also 6112 in late BR lined green, possibly on a short visit c1963 so plenty of potential methinks...   and I have only browsed half the book.

Edited by robmcg
addition
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, PMP said:

CBFB0CD0-3849-497D-98A9-A7385311E6D1.jpeg.42966346a60ed0eb0a24f3915f749051.jpeg

#awkward :toclue:

Pretty sure he mean without drain cocks attached. All models come with them. Some attached, some in the box seperate. Believe it’s only railroad that don’t come with them. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I might have missed this along the way but could someone who has already got one of these please tell me what type of decoder it needs? Is it 8-pin? I ask because deep in the mists of history I'm sure I read that it would need a NEXT-18.

Thanks.

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I might have missed this along the way but could someone who has already got one of these please tell me what type of decoder it needs? Is it 8-pin? I ask because deep in the mists of history I'm sure I read that it would need a NEXT-18.

Thanks.

The picture above shows an 8 pin, also says 8 pin in the seller's descriptions.

Service sheet:

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/34/?p=2

go to HSS449B

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1