Hornby - New tooling - Large Prairie

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Resurrecting an old thread here but question. Has anyone had issues with the front pony truck screw? The screw keeps working loose on mine because it seems the problem is either (or both) the thickness of the pivot point on the pony truck where screw goes through is too thick and/or the spigot the pony truck rotates around is slightly too short to be able to do the screw up tight. Am I alone in this?

I seem to remember there was a reported problem with insufficient vertical movement in the pony truck if the screw was fully tightened.

There were a couple of dodges to get around the problem, you'll have to do a bit of a trawl to find them.:(

I'll have to check what I did and report back.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, melmerby said:

I seem to remember there was a reported problem with insufficient vertical movement in the pony truck if the screw was fully tightened.

There were a couple of dodges to get around the problem, you'll have to do a bit of a trawl to find them.:(

I'll have to check what I did and report back.

You only need to go back one post Keith!

• RMweb Premium

I used the original screw and put a loop of thin wire around the thread.

That stops it bottoming and allows some vertical play.

IIRC some were suggesting shaving metal off the pony truck - a bit drastic IMHO.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, melmerby said:

I used the original screw and put a loop of thin wire around the thread.

That stops it bottoming and allows some vertical play.

IIRC some were suggesting shaving metal off the pony truck - a bit drastic IMHO.

Cheers I’ll give that a go. 

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst I’m posting a photo, I thought I’d add this piece of whimsy. dibber25, in quite another context, remarked that we usually add couplings to both ends of tank locos. I usually do but it started me thinking. I have two Hornby Large Prairies, so I added cosmetic couplings to the front of one and the rear of the other.

6110 & 4154.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Whilst I’m posting a photo, I thought I’d add this piece of whimsy. dibber25, in quite another context, remarked that we usually add couplings to both ends of tank locos. I usually do but it started me thinking. I have two Hornby Large Prairies, so I added cosmetic couplings to the front of one and the rear of the other.

6110 & 4154.jpg

Doing the same with my N7s!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Suzy Sulzer said:

Received today a E-mail from Hattons regarding R3850 BR Black late crest. Production has been cancelled by Hornby .

Reasons unknown

On the Hornby website it is 'in stock'.

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/br-61xx-class-large-prairie-2-6-2t-6147-era-5-r3850

Not that Hornby is known to be a beacon of great communication...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Suzy Sulzer said:

Received today a E-mail from Hattons regarding R3850 BR Black late crest. Production has been cancelled by Hornby .

Reasons unknown

44 minutes ago, Johan DC said:

On the Hornby website it is 'in stock'.

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/br-61xx-class-large-prairie-2-6-2t-6147-era-5-r3850

Not that Hornby is known to be a beacon of great communication...

The one on the website is green!

It's also in stock at several retailers.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Suzy Sulzer said:

Reasons unknown

That’s a Hattons response from time immemorial.All it usually means is “we can’t get any “ .Look elsewhere.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Translation: Was announced as BR Black but at some point before release was changed to BR Green and this is Hattons (who really seem to have went downhill recently) only just catching up and realising the Black one doesn't exist. At least thats my guess.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Some retailers show a black one and some a green. They all seem to be “artist’s impressions” – no-one seems to have a photograph of the actual model, whatever it is.

Kernow has somepictures, like they always do:

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/69895/R3850-Hornby-Class-61XX-2-6-2T-Large-Prairie-Steam-Loco-6147

So the actual model is a green one. 

220915 HORNBY R3850_1.jpg

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Some retailers show a black one and some a green. They all seem to be “artist’s impressions” – no-one seems to have a photograph of the actual model, whatever it is.

Do any of those with black ones show any stock?

All the ones I've seen with stock have green ones and I can't imagine them have a black picture and selling a green loco.

4 hours ago, Johan DC said:

Kernow has somepictures, like they always do:

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/69895/R3850-Hornby-Class-61XX-2-6-2T-Large-Prairie-Steam-Loco-6147

So the actual model is a green one. 

220915 HORNBY R3850_1.jpg

There seems to have been a lot of updating going on! It’s hard to tell under bright lights but the finish looks nicer than the very flat finish on my two from the first batch.

• Like 2