Hornby - New tooling - Large Prairie

Andy Y

The advanced features as always from a drier location...

3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

...  Liking the support brackets beneath the running plate as well; I think this is another first...

First time I recall seeing this feature on UK RTR OO was on Bachmann's K3 (2004 release).

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Which part of the road to Bristol is that then.:jester:

The road mistakenly not taken.

Neat looking model of the large Prairie.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Absolutely, I can't be the only one glad to see no cut outs in the body for the number plates to be fitted to too. It certainly looks to be better quality than their 42xx/52xx of the design clever era.

You are not. I am certain “ they “ are fully aware of past deficiencies of the “pale and interesting “ variety. Shame that a certain Mr. Goddard is persona non grata on this forum to keep a watching brief.Down to all of us to see that what is shaping up to be a good ‘un gets a truly representative paint finish of an authentic hue.Recent improvements show promise.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

4145 was delivered brand new to Tondu in 1946 in this livery, and left the shed 31/03/48, so is just within my period.  This loco, 4144 (which I remember in the early 60’s at Severn Tunnel in lined out BR green), arrived in 9/57, right at the end.   I’d probably go for 4145 out of the two, which were the only 5101s at Tondu during my period, though several others fetched up there later.  

I’ve always liked the large prairies, handsome and well proportioned locos, and the Hornby looks very much like my memory of them.  My favourite, which would require a bit of Rule 1, is Barry’s 4159, delivered 1948 in unlined green with ‘BRITISH RAILWAYS’ in GW 1920s style Egyptian Serif lettering; very tempting as it ticks a livery box for me.  No Tondu loco ever carried that livery AFAIK, but a borrow or a return excursion from Barry Island might be a good enough excuse. 

• RMweb Premium

This image from The Prairie Papers No.1 shows an almost identical view of No.4154 and in the same livery. Only mistake I can see is the tall safety valve bonnet when it should be short. Looks pretty spot on apart from that! 

C6634E19-0950-41C8-9409-E91148001D5E.jpeg

3BEC2EC4-9A06-4284-A9D3-645056471657.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

That's a cracking book and I'm rather taken by the photo of a filthy wartime black 4133 taken at Totnes myself. Unlettered side tanks, something different.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

That's a cracking book and I'm rather taken by the photo of a filthy wartime black 4133 taken at Totnes myself. Unlettered side tanks, something different.

Mine will be almost pristine........4154 was built in the fall of 1947 and at Chester in December. Theres serendipity! All I will need is engraved plates

Quite the change Robin.....a filthy loco at Brent and a clean one at Granby!

Regards

john

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, john dew said:

Quite the change Robin.....a filthy loco at Brent and a clean one at Granby!

Like I said John, something different.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I don’t think it’s just you, Captain, this looks like a much better colour.  I’m looking forward to seeing the fully lined BR version, even if it is too late for my period!  If H are introducing this across the range it will be no bad thing in my view.  

But it’s difficult to be objective about colour, and the real thing could look washed out and pale in some lighting, complicated by it being sometimes a bit faded anyway.  Weathering tends to make the colour look a bit lighter as well.  Much debate ensues. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Captainalbino said:

It may just be me, or the photo, but the shade of green looks better than the usual Hornby washed out pale green self coloured plastic.  Will be interesting to see what the final version looks like.

I don’t think Hornby has offered self-coloured plastic for decades. However, your description of “washed out pale green” is spot on. Hornby’s finishes are very variable and seem to depend on the particular factory used. Apart from the safety valve bonnet, already noted, everything looks fine so far. It would be a shame if Hornby messed up in the production model. A lot of Terriers seem to have been reported as poor runners too; it would be unfortunate if Hornby were to produce another model with inconsistent running qualities.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

This image from The Prairie Papers No.1 shows an almost identical view of No.4154 and in the same livery. Only mistake I can see is the tall safety valve bonnet when it should be short. Looks pretty spot on apart from that! 

C6634E19-0950-41C8-9409-E91148001D5E.jpeg

Only things I see are pretty minimal, the 3 letter shed name above the cylinders on the frames in white, the rivets above the cab side number above the handrail and missing lamp bracket in the bunker recess.

Looks a good model.

I would love to see more thickness on wheel tyres, rather than the half/half we seem to get from all manufacturers. The bolts used on Heljans 47xx are fantastic representations of GWR coupling rod bolts, rather than a bog standard mini-hex nut.

3BEC2EC4-9A06-4284-A9D3-645056471657.jpeg

1B695214-D166-4B82-802A-5732ACCC844E.jpeg

F603DE70-6417-4569-92A8-1B28117FD311.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 26/04/2019 at 18:04, gwrrob said:

Here's a nice side on photo of 4144 for comparison in the post war GWR livery. Note the position of the route disc.

4144.jpg.3a9611ca4e90200e510e108429ac9a92.jpg

Disclaimer... I did the signwriting on 4144 both times. The first time round I stuck to the 'published wisdom' & put the blue spot in the same location on each side (centreline 8" above plate edge if there was space, 4" if not).

Second time around it struck me that it was a daft place to put it as it would surely get kicked to pieces by Firemen & Shed Staff and their Big Boots.

Some research then happened & It was noted that on locos with bunker steps the spot was usually below the numberplate:—

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:5193_%26_4151_at_Woodham_Brothers_Scrapyard(8217419997).jpg

This was chosen for 4144 in its 'Hybrid' livery (scroll down a bit):— http://www.gwr.org.uk/no-prairies.html

The underslung position wasn't compulsory, as 5199 sported an offset RA spot:—

http://www.railuk.info/steam/getsteam.php?row_id=2279

The above only applies on locos with bunkerside steps. If the steps are absent then both sides have the spot above the plate.

Pete S.

Edited by K14
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
On 26/04/2019 at 20:35, melmerby said:

Too many spokes in the pony truck wheels.

You can imagine a certain someone thinking "I'll teach those 'orrible oiks, how dare they tell me I was wrong about the Star having 12 spokes on the bogie wheels! I'll use up the surplus stock of wheels on the  new Prairie!"

Edited by 57xx
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 27/04/2019 at 15:14, adb968008 said:

I would love to see more thickness on wheel tyres, rather than the half/half we seem to get from all manufacturers. The bolts used on Heljans 47xx are fantastic representations of GWR coupling rod bolts, rather than a bog standard mini-hex nut.

1B695214-D166-4B82-802A-5732ACCC844E.jpeg

The rods/fixings may be better but the wheels ain't!

Win some, lose some......

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, melmerby said:

The rods/fixings may be better but the wheels ain't!

Win some, lose some......

Agreed, all steam models could have better wheels, but look at the wheels on the Rails Terrier... they look encouraging.

Edited by adb968008

4154 was completed in July '47 and the postwar 'GWR' livery is therefore correct for the loco as built. However the tall safety valve bonnet shown on the EP is incorrect. According to David Maidment's "Great Western Moguls & Prairies"  the 5101s built after October 1930 (starting with 5160) were fitted with the short bonnet. If 4154 ever carried a tall bonnet it would have been as a result of a boiler change later in life......by which time it would probably also have been repainted!

Other than that my initial impression are that this looks to be an excellent model. The paintwork also looks to be deeper and more lustrous than recent Hornby models. Well done Hornby. Credit Card is on standby!!!!

• Informative/Useful 2

Apologies if this has already been mentioned...........

Are my eyes deceiving me or is the weatherboard (front face of the cab) painted black in this EP? If so, is it correct?

292691134_Screenshot2019-04-29at07_28_38.png.d6e206e31592473141293be73d161574.png

I don't think it is. Judging by by the evidence of various preserved examples I'm not the only one:-

GWR Prairie 4144

In the shed

These are both locos preserved by the GWS at Didcot (who are normally spot-on for authenticity) and both in postwar livery like the Hornby model of 4154. Happy to stand corrected if I'm wrong.

Nice to see that Hornby have depicted the cab doors as black which is correct.

Minor criticisms aside, I still think it's a very nice model. :P

• Like 2