Hornby - New tooling - LMS Princess class

Andy Y

Hornby announced new tooling of the Princess 4-6-2.

Princess CAD1.JPG

Princess CAD2.JPG

R3711 BR, Princess Royal, 4-6-2, 46206 'Princess Marie Louise' - Era 4 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £189.99

R3711X - DCC Fitted BR, Princess Royal, 4-6-2, 46206 'Princess Marie Louise' - Era 4 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £204.99

R3713 BR, Princess Royal, 4-6-2, 46207 'Princess Arthur of Connaught' - Era 5 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £189.99

R3713X - DCC Fitted BR, Princess Royal, 4-6-2, 46207 'Princess Arthur of Connaught' - Era 5 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £204.99

An early 3D print of the forthcoming release was shown at Margate in Dec 2018.

Princess1.jpg

Preview 2019 - Press - PDF-058.jpg

Preview 2019 - Press - PDF-059.jpg

Preview 2019 - Press - PDF-060.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So happy to see this, finally but no proper LMS version seems strange.

R3709 Princess Elizabeth in LMS 'Era 3' - shown in pictures, but not listed in th text above.

Great announcement. Certainly a model that needed improving.

Now, what external differences are there between 6201 today and in LMS days?

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1

R3709 Princess Elizabeth in LMS 'Era 3' - shown in pictures, but not listed in th text above.

I take back my original post, it appears that 6201 is Post War Lined Black from reading the blurb underneath the pic and from the fact the top feed pipe is external to the boiler. I orginally thought that it may have been Lizzie as preserved.

I do wonder what the missing product numbers in the series may be.

Edit

It shouldn't have a crosshead vacuum pump with this boiler configure and tender either.

Also interesting the CAD has front brake hangers where the Duchess didn't. Good to see.

Edited by Brocp

• RMweb Gold

R3709 is here

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2019/lms-princess-royal-4-6-2-6201-princess-elizabeth-era-3.html

Great to see this!

all the best,

Keith

So that's full circle then! My first train set in mid 50's was 46201, later I (or dad) added a Jinty. I referred Triang as I could not get my little head around the other track system with three rails, down at our local station they only ever had two.

But I am not in the market for this new one, Great Eastern for me these days ( and freelance 009).

Geo Norfolk

I take back my original post, it appears that 6201 is Post War Lined Black from reading the blurb underneath the pic and from the fact the top feed pipe is external to the boiler. I orginally thought that it may have been Lizzie as preserved.

According to the technical detail, it is in LMS Crimson Lake. The description just states that it was painted in 1946 lined black in August 1947.

I believe this is the correct decision. I am sure that more modellers will prefer to have it in crimson lake than 1946 black, although I model both.

According to the technical detail, it is in LMS Crimson Lake. The description just states that it was painted in 1946 lined black in August 1947.

I believe this is the correct decision. I am sure that more modellers will prefer to have it in crimson lake than 1946 black, although I model both.

While i don't disagree, it's got the wrong boiler fittings for her to be Crimson Lake.

• RMweb Gold

once Hornby's website starts too work faster ill have to per-order at least one, 

sorry to bother you Andy on a busy day but do you know if the tooling is able to produce 46205 and even the Turbo-motive in future years 

Edited by farren

So that's full circle then! My first train set in mid 50's was 46201, later I (or dad) added a Jinty. I referred Triang as I could not get my little head around the other track system with three rails, down at our local station they only ever had two.

But I am not in the market for this new one, Great Eastern for me these days ( and freelance 009).

Geo Norfolk

A stablemate for Hornby R3553 in  LMS  maroon 6231 Duchess of Atholl,  I purchased R3553 to revive memories of my Hornby-Dublo  Atholl

• Like 1

I think 6201 can be legitimately be produced in LMS crimson lake in the condition illustrated but it only covers the period november 1936 when she received a 10 ton tender & september 1937 when she reverted to a domeless boiler, the crosshead pump was removed in july 1938.The illustration which accompanies 46206 incorrectly shows one of the initial pair rather than the production series as shown with 46207. 46206 was also coupled to the unique riveted 10 ton tender with coal pusher. 

This is my favourite Locomotive type, and I was totally caught out by this announcement.

I have five of the present incarnation, but will be definitely adding at least one these.

Pleased to see a tts decoder is being released.

That's how to do it, Bachmann. Where's my long overdue V2?

Edited by STRAT'71

• RMweb Gold

No mention has been made about different valve gear arrangements. Didn't Lizzie or maybe PMR have different supports etc?

EDIT:

ah just had a closer look at the cads, there are two different arrangements :)

I could be tempted to a PMR in future, seeing as I've been in the firebox ....

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 1

This is my favourite Locomotive type, and I was totally caught out by this announcement.

I have five of the present incarnation, but will be definitely adding at least one these.

I wasn't surprised at all, because it has been missing from the catalogue for the last couple of years.

I am sure this version will be an improvement although I think the last version was pretty good & the 2 won't look out of place together.

Hornby may produce more alternative name & numbers this time around. They seem to be more in this mindset now.

No mention has been made about different valve gear arrangements. Didn't Lizzie or maybe PMR have different supports etc?

EDIT:

ah just had a closer look at the cads, there are two different arrangements :)

I could be tempted to a PMR in future, seeing as I've been in the firebox ....

6200 & 6201 were effectively prototypes with some differences from 6203-6212. 

1 had strengthening bars fitted for a while. I can't remember if this was 6205 or 6206 without having to look it up.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Or a branchline with a very heavy loading gauge! Will look no worse than my streamlined Duchess. Been after 6201 for a very long time. Should sell very well.

Like the Severn Valley which has had 6201 on more than one occasion in the recent past :)