Hornby - New tooling - LMS Princess class

Andy Y

2 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Reading the engine shod blog released today it mentions them pushing the boat out and fitting firebox flicker to these. A nice feature that hopefully can carry over to other new models in future. 

Be nice if it's bright enough to give a nice glow in the cab when running in subdued lighting! 

Nice to see the progress in the Engine Shed. 

I notice the vac pump which was on running samples fitted to the crosshead on the wrong side does not appear on the painted sample.

6201_R3709_princess_Image1abcd_r1500.jpg.2de709466b9d70528612fe84d1d3eddc.jpg

6201_R3709_princess_Image2.jpg.28e6d73f9aa931c787976c7c4c00f84c.jpg

Looking grand!  :)

6201_R3709_princess_Image4ab_r2088.jpg.8f4c25bcf48f24d066bbf13f49e4bb53.jpg

and there is a domeless version certainly.... this from Warley? Hornby Signal Box video clip

6201_R3709_princess_Image5.jpg.44ac925bce66dacd76463187051c003a.jpg

I'm pretty sure this was put together quite quickly, and as it is 'only' a paint or finish sample  there will be various small tweaks before release in early 2020.

In the meantime I can only drool.

6201_R3709_princess_Image6.jpg.6b13d3eac593890e77928580a1119533.jpg

What a lovely model in the tradition of Hornby from before the war.  When by all accounts we had crispy bacon too... :)

Edited by robmcg
add pics
  • Like 3

On 29/11/2019 at 13:57, Pre Grouping fan said:

Reading the engine shod blog released today it mentions them pushing the boat out and fitting firebox flicker to these. A nice feature that hopefully can carry over to other new models in future. 

Be nice if it's bright enough to give a nice glow in the cab when running in subdued lighting! 

• 2 weeks later...

I have mine on order. I’m buying the LMS red version with DCC on board. Never having bought one with DCC factory fitted before, anyone know what they fit? Presumably an 8 pin standard Hornsby decoder in the tinder. Any ideas?

looking at the decorated sample, most noticeable to me is the rivet detail, a true “corky Liz”. The previous model wasn’t as convincing to me. The reversing rod also looks correct for the first time. She’s really too large for my layout - but who cares!

• Like 1

On 05/12/2019 at 20:36, johnd said:

Think it needs a full fat all singing sound decoder as I wonder if the TTS decoders will give the quality of sound the model deserves! 

I've heard some good sound with TTS, so I bought one & the actual sounds are ok, I have other issues with it.

They don't support advanced consisting. This is unlikely to be a problem with a Princess though.

They only support 1 'spot' sound, so you can have it chuffing away & sound the whistle (the whistle being a spot sound) but if the injector or blower is running, it fades this out then back in to play the whistle.

The sound levels cannot be controlled very well. My TTS (a class 60) has spirax valves which can be heard over the engine. (No condescending remarks here please :D, I have fiddled for hours with it, even turning the spirax volume to zero, but it has made no difference).

The chuff sound cannot be synched to wheel rotations. This can be off-putting for some. 'full-fat' decoders usually adjust chuffing by detecting the motor pulsing.

I don't think TTS decoders are at all bad. They provide an affordable way to get sound into locos, which is a good thing.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, MikeHunter said:

She’s really too large for my layout - but who cares!

I built a WCML layout so I could run Duchesses & Lizzies in their proper environment...& when I rebuild the scenic section, stock for my other era contains AC electrics, so I'm keeping the same station & updating the period.

Such a layout has to be large though, so it is is my largest bedroom. Could that be considered an advantage of being single?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 15/12/2019 at 14:28, Pete the Elaner said:

I built a WCML layout so I could run Duchesses & Lizzies in their proper environment...& when I rebuild the scenic section, stock for my other era contains AC electrics, so I'm keeping the same station & updating the period.

Such a layout has to be large though, so it is is my largest bedroom. Could that be considered an advantage of being single?

It could indeed be considered an advantage of being single. Could it just possibly be considered a cause of being single? :jester:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/12/2019 at 14:05, MikeHunter said:

I have mine on order. I’m buying the LMS red version with DCC on board. Never having bought one with DCC factory fitted before, anyone know what they fit? Presumably an 8 pin standard Hornsby decoder in the tinder. Any ideas?

looking at the decorated sample, most noticeable to me is the rivet detail, a true “corky Liz”. The previous model wasn’t as convincing to me. The reversing rod also looks correct for the first time. She’s really too large for my layout - but who cares!

It will be the standard Hornby 8pin in the tender. I've had a few Hornby DCC Ready loco's over the years. They tend to run pretty smoothly but I have found the chips 'fragile' - of the 3 I can recall buying from new (a Patriot, a Scot and a Stanier tank) only the Scot still has its original chip. The Patriot became an erratic runner  - cured by the fitting of a Zimo, the Stanier Tank was derailed on a point set against it but that blew the chip. I personally wouldnt bother with the Hornby chipped version - better standard chip available from other manufacturers and tender fitting is easy. 

On 16/12/2019 at 22:32, MikeParkin65 said:

It will be the standard Hornby 8pin in the tender. I've had a few Hornby DCC Ready loco's over the years. They tend to run pretty smoothly but I have found the chips 'fragile' - of the 3 I can recall buying from new (a Patriot, a Scot and a Stanier tank) only the Scot still has its original chip. The Patriot became an erratic runner  - cured by the fitting of a Zimo, the Stanier Tank was derailed on a point set against it but that blew the chip. I personally wouldnt bother with the Hornby chipped version - better standard chip available from other manufacturers and tender fitting is easy. 

Thanks for the advice re chips. The fitted version looks attractive on price, the additional cost being less than the decoder, so I may start there, and then update it in the future. I'd love a Lizzie with sound and smoke, but cost precludes at the moment. 

On 17/12/2019 at 11:29, 9402 Fredrick said:

Hornby's website have the livery samples for each princess on the pages for the respective models.

And their various other pics have allowed me to create this.

will remove if asked.  I think the atmosphere is lovely, 'Look out Camden Bank'... although there wouldn't be much coal left by Glasgow with that kind of start. :)

6201_R3709_princess_Image4ab_15abcdef_r1500.jpg.03c64a7fb01197d5feac4748bd62e34a.jpg

Cheers

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 18/12/2019 at 12:13, MikeHunter said:

Thanks for the advice re chips. The fitted version looks attractive on price, the additional cost being less than the decoder, so I may start there, and then update it in the future. I'd love a Lizzie with sound and smoke, but cost precludes at the moment. 

Buying a DCC fitted loco is IMHO £15 wasted better pay another £5 and get a Lenz or Zimo decoder and fit youself, you wont regret it.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Buying a DCC fitted loco is IMHO £15 wasted better pay another £5 and get a Lenz or Zimo decoder and fit youself, you wont regret it.

For people just starting out, unsure of themselves and not wanting to break their models, it’s not wasted. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

For people just starting out, unsure of themselves and not wanting to break their models, it’s not wasted. 

I would hardly call the new Hornby Princess a "starting out" type of loco. It's a top of the range model.

If you are not sure what you are doing you should start with something more basic.

IMHO the Princess deserves something better than Hornby's basic decoder.

Would anybody learn to drive in a luxury car? No, you start with something more basic and work your way up

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, melmerby said:

I would hardly call the new Hornby Princess a "starting out" type of loco. It's a top of the range model.

If you are not sure what you are doing you should start with something more basic.

Would anybody learn to drive in a luxury car? No, you start with something more basic and work your way up

I was meaning broadly with all the different locos Hornby are releasing this year with decoders fitted. Some people are happy to use the standard decoders. Is that wrong? There is no right or wrong in our hobby. Everyone has their preferences. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

It’s a toy train and if people want a dcc  princess royal model it’s totally fine. If you want a expensive dcc chip in it why should others who don’t care or may not even understand the difference in the chips have to pay for what you want. 

buy dcc fitted be happy or buy dcc ready and either run as is or fit a more expensive chip and be happy. 

• Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/12/2019 at 11:03, melmerby said:

My major concern is that previous versions of the Princess have been hard to open to fit a chip. I tend to use Hornby or Bachmann decoders, and have so far had good experiences with both. My only bad experience so far has been with a couple of Gaugemaster decoders, which never worked properly. I've got quite an extensive fleet, so not starting out in that sense, but I'm still relatively new to DCC.

Very much looking forward to receiving the model. Looks from the samples that they've captured the look of the loco very effectively. Especially the reversing rod and the rivet detail. Both areas let down on previous versions. May finally get to use my "Princess Royal" names plates, and buy a second one to renumber as 6200. I'll see how I get on with Lizzie first....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know if R3854 Duchess of Kent will have the Derby style smokebox door (pre 1939) or the “standard” smokebox door that it was later fitted with?

I can’t decide whether to get Princess Elizabeth or Duchess of Kent!