Hornby - New tooling - LMS Princess class

Andy Y

1 hour ago, TonyMay said:

I seem to remember there being a fairly significant difference between the first batch and the second in terms of the shape of the firebox.  And also that the first two ran with domeless boilers but were later changed to domed boilers.  Does the model cater for all of these variants or just one of hem?

If you go to the Hornby website and search for “Princess”, you’ll find the differences you mention illustrated in the depictions of models with the “New Tool” flash.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 02:38, MikeParkin65 said:

I hope the blue is as good as the photo's. The latest BR blue A4 looks a lot better in pictures than it does in the plastic imho - very flat in real life. 

It's true that the impressive blue livery in the photos is what persuaded me to buy Princess Marie Louise. It will be my first BR blue loco, so hopefully Hornby will have improved the shade and depth of this tricky colour.

1 hour ago, jf2682 said:

I will be recreating them: hopefully Hornby will produce a non-streamlined Duchess anon.

Hornby already produce the duchess of Gloucester in BR blue  (as well as several other non-streamlined princess coronations in various liveries)

1 hour ago, jf2682 said:

Ah yes, but they are all actually de-streamlined, with the sloping smokebox.  The one on my hit list is 46250 City of Litchfield: Eric Treacy captioned it as his best on Beattock, hauling the August 1952 Royal Scot formed of new Mark 1 coaches.

I wondered if you were differentiating the de-streamlined ones from the non-streamliners.

If you have a specific one in mind then it does make a difference.

Even after their smokeboxes were re-profiled, you could tell most of the ex-streamliners from the non-streamliners by the stepped running plate...although the LMS built the last few like that anyway because they found maintenance a little easier.

I understand the ex-streamlined tenders were identifiable too, but I am not familiar with how they differed.

The Princess class to me is the 12 engines never streamlined built in 1933-6, excluding the turbo, 13 if included.

Will look lovely indeed whether in LMS Crimson Lake or BR Blue!   Even BR green.... :)

I rather like my 'old' 2002-tooling versions, but a new model always pleases! 

edit; when announced mention was made of three different tenders, but I doubt the flat-side 1933-4  version is one of them (shades of the watercart on one Arthur, Sir Meligrance?)  but both boilers are already shown, domed and un-domed, and I doubt if the early short firebox will be tooled. Early model R050 has the 1933 spec.

Edited by robmcg

I am also w

8 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

The original classification was : Princess Royal 6200-12.   Princess Coronation ( aka Duchess ) 6220-57 .

Indeed.   But thse are very diferent models.

I was wondering if the pre-36 LMS versions will have a vacuum pump, as shown on the early printed versions with the pump on the wrong side ?

Edited by robmcg
typos

here is that early version...

6200_princess_Image51a.jpg.3e2846f85955d783c80992cf0e5d489f.jpg

but another early version shows a moulding on the correct side, and a different steam-collector on the boiler of this top pic, I think.

Senility setting in...

6200_princess_Image2.jpg.fbf67e5bd4a5071640f4eb5675d0ffe2.jpg

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, apollanaut said:

It's true that the impressive blue livery in the photos is what persuaded me to buy Princess Marie Louise. It will be my first BR blue loco, so hopefully Hornby will have improved the shade and depth of this tricky colour.

Blue on BR locomotives was an unstable colour thus as long as they adhere to what they have presented on 46225 and the new King  they’ll be at or thereabouts and not as variable in spectrum as their green sometimes is.

BR blue did not last long in service.If you feel when you get yours the colour may be too flat for your taste,it’ll most likely be prototypically accurate anyway.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Blue on BR locomotives was an unstable colour thus as long as they adhere to what they have presented on 46225 and the new King  they’ll be at or thereabouts and not as variable in spectrum as their green sometimes is.

BR blue did not last long in service.If you feel when you get yours the colour may be too flat for your taste,it’ll most likely be prototypically accurate anyway.

I fully agree and would add that in flat blue or slightly glossy they do look rather good, I have put picture in 'Best Ever' in this section to that end. The Princess boiler didn't have a lot of lining to that particular canard is avoided. Bachmann's blue A1s have rather bright white boiler ling which isn't the best in some photos, albeit in real life it's better than in photos. The factory images by Hornby are often quite different from the production models, so we can but hope.

Can't wait!   :)  (Child at Christmas mode ON) 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Just had notification from Hornby that R3709 is in stock and ready for despatch.

Soon all our questions will be answered.  Does it have vac pump on l/h cross-bars, I wonder, given the various pre-production pics? The Hornby catalogue photo shows it without the pump, and with the 1935-on domes boiler. No that it matters hugely as of course this was the spec when arguably the engine had its finest hour in 1936 with that 5hr 43min run from Glasgow non-stop, and driver Laurie Earl?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Soon all our questions will be answered.  Does it have vac pump on l/h cross-bars, I wonder, given the various pre-production pics? The Hornby catalogue photo shows it without the pump, and with the 1935-on domes boiler. No that it matters hugely as of course this was the spec when arguably the engine had its finest hour in 1936 with that 5hr 43min run from Glasgow non-stop, and driver Laurie Earl?

Rob,

I've got a feeling that we're not going to be disappointed with the new Princess class.

It's just like Christmas again lol !

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, robmcg said:

No that it matters hugely as of course this was the spec when arguably the engine had its finest hour in 1936 with that 5hr 43min run from Glasgow non-stop, and driver Laurie Earl?

While Laurie Earl is often associated with the 'Princesses', the driver of that London-Glasgow (and return) special was Tom Clarke of Crewe North shed.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, pH said:

While Laurie Earl is often associated with the 'Princesses', the driver of that London-Glasgow (and return) special was Tom Clarke of Crewe North shed.

Thanks for the correction, I had my wires crossed with the article by O S Nock on his run with 6200 or 6201 in original form in 1933 where they arrived at Euston with little coal left and Laurie had a smile from ear to ear, 'black as the ace of spades', where Laurie Earl had got coal forward at times when an exhausted fireman took over driving.

Crewe North drivers being the only ones who might know the entire road Euston to Glasgow. Tom Clarke got a Queen's Honour too after that run, as I understand it.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

26 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

R3709 and R3709X both now in stock at Rails of Sheffield.

Production model photographs now on their website.

Loco has been produced without the early vacuum pump on the left hand cross head which doesn't really bother me.

Looks fantastic !

Better off than on because it is easier to add than remove.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

R3709 and R3709X both now in stock at Rails of Sheffield.

Production model photographs now on their website.

Loco has been produced without the early vacuum pump on the left hand cross head which doesn't really bother me.

Looks fantastic !

I agree, and it doesn't really bother me either.

Here is Rails' picture, no connection, they do rather set the standard for shop photos. 

6201_princess_R3709.IMG_0704.jpg.6603f00a3b132e5be913da3685039e6e.jpg

• Like 6