Hornby - New tooling - LMS Princess class

Andy Y

On 18/02/2020 at 08:14, robmcg said:

I have just bought R3709 but with storms and delivery  to NZ I can but live in hope. :) 

You and me both, Rob!

I have both R3709X and R3711X on pre-order, and I don’t think I have been so excited about a new Hornby release in a long time. Assuming they arrive intact(!), the photos of Princess Elizabeth on the Rails website and the extra effort Hornby have put into developing this model bode well for something rather special.

As does the improvements Hornby made over time to their previous large LMS express racehorse, the Princess Coronations (both streamlined and unadorned). I own two of each, but it is the later releases that impress me the most. My birthday is a few days before Christmas and I was lucky enough to receive the re-released R3555 unstreamlined Sir William Stanier F.R.S. in 2018 and the streamlined R3639 King George VI in 2019.

Both are now the pride of my fleet, with performance to match their good looks.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

It will be interesting to see Hornby's version of firebox flicker. On the rails of Sheffield website they have an image of the cab interior where you can just about see the LED's. 

Could you advise where that image is on the website please?

Cheers

1 hour ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

If you flick through the images on the page for the model of 6201 its about 8 along

Can you post a link to the images page please?  All I can reach is the 'buying' page ...

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/37407/Hornby-r3709-oo-gauge-princess-elizabeth-lms-princess-royal-class-4-6-2-steam-locomotive-no-6201

15 minutes ago, jacko said:

Can you post a link to the images page please?  All I can reach is the 'buying' page ...

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/37407/Hornby-r3709-oo-gauge-princess-elizabeth-lms-princess-royal-class-4-6-2-steam-locomotive-no-6201

You have to click the right 'arrow' to progress through the image gallery. The eighth is this:

Screenshot 2020-02-19 at 10.42.30.png

Which expands to this:

R3709.IMG_0712.jpg.cdb499573fa6055b630fdf7a18445b5f.jpg

Edited by truffy
additional picture
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hmm. Something's going wrong on my PC. I don't get the arrows (or hands) in either Chrome or IE.  :(  

edit.  sorted - I can 'swipe' left and right with my mouse.  bl**dy technology. 

Edited by jacko

11 hours ago, truffy said:

You have to click the right 'arrow' to progress through the image gallery. The eighth is this:

Screenshot 2020-02-19 at 10.42.30.png

Which expands to this:

R3709.IMG_0712.jpg.cdb499573fa6055b630fdf7a18445b5f.jpg

Thankyou Truffy,  with Chrome  there are no arrows, no clues as to a gallery, but it works fine with left or right click and swipe.

What a very nice set of images!  I have one on the way.

Cheers

I think this is the nicest, thankyou Hornby and Rails...

6201_princess_R3709.IMG_0705.jpg.0b1a214293aa1ec72c4700987d391c7c.jpg

p.s. no idea of minimum radius with flanged rear truck but 3-feet plus is my guess.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

6201 is of course a canny buy.It can find use both in its LMS pre 1948 era and in its present day reincarnation at the head of a steam hauled special. An excellent choice for Hornby I think.Judging from Rails excellent images,it scores particularly well for me in the area of cab and firebox and representation of smokebox number which seems rendered in typical LMS style script.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, maico said:

If you fitted the rear flange wheelset what would be the minimum curve radius it could handle, or are they for display only?

R3709.IMG_0712.jpg.cdb499573fa6055b630fdf7a18445b5f_00001.jpg.3db4cf85693552687b1fd91e1cf7486c.jpg

With the Duchess (which employs the same arrangement) there is virtually no play at all with the flanged pony fitted - I very much doubt it will run properly at all (remember this is a static trailing bogie with no vertical compensation either). On the plus side I  have found that cab swing can be effectively controlled by close coupling the tender as far as you are able. I make my own tender couplings using nothing more complicated than black plastic (the tops of microwave soup pots are ideal!), a belt hole punch, a steel rule and sharp knife. The Hornby close coupling is too tight for a layout but you dont need a much larger gap for 30'' minimum curves. 

I only have a couple of steamers, an old Wrenn city of Glasgow with articulated trailing bogie and this nice Trix German P10. It seems almost universal to have swinging flanged wheels, or side movement apart from some Hornby models?

trixp104.jpg

trixp102.jpg

Edited by maico
  • Agree 2

It is very hard to fit swinging rear trucks to Stanier 4-6-2s and other British steam locos so they can negotiate 17" radius set track without quite obvious compromises to detail. Some have done it  by cutting and various skills but I'm not sure what radius they design for.

Not sure but I suspect that the European prototypes have more space for a swinging truck.

I personally have no problem with the fixed trucks and flangeless wheels used by Hornby, and the Bachmann answer with a lateral-moving rear axle isn't bad but I think means possible compromises in axle box depth and so on.

• Like 1

Brunellrosso spinning layout has constant R2 curves. It gives a good indication of the articulation required for Ho scale. He has posted hundreds of videos in the last 10 years on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/brunellorosso/videos

The Fleischmann BR 03 streamliner has fixed skirting and has no problems. The panels might of been wider than scale

Edited by maico

45 minutes ago, maico said:

Brunellrosso spinning layout has constant R2 curves. It gives a good indication of the articulation required for Ho scale. He has posted hundreds of videos in the last 10 years on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/brunellorosso/videos

The Fleischmann BR 03 streamliner has fixed skirting and has no problems. The panels might of been wider than scale

The loading gauge size and width of the streamlined 03 leaves room for a swinging truck on type 2 curves.

Edit, in any case British and other large engines require a fair bit of acceptance of unrealistic appearances on sharp curves, it depends largely on what you are comfortable with.  

I am not quite sure what point you are trying to make.

Cheers

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, maico said:

Sam's trains did a comparison video of the current and old version of the Coronation. On balance, and it might be a minority view, I think the old inaccurate swinging truck is ok !

vlcsnap-2020-02-20-20h39m41s384.png.4f843d8b6f64bbf08ac6c3769c6a85ec.png

I've said this before that the streamliners look ok with the swinging truck, whereas the non streamliners and Princes's look better with the fixed truck.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, sandwich station said:

I've said this before that the streamliners look ok with the swinging truck, whereas the non streamliners and Princes's look better with the fixed truck.

Personally think they all look better with the fixed truck.

• Agree 3