Hornby - New tooling - LMS Princess class

Andy Y

59 minutes ago, Opelsi said:

So in the best part of 50 year things have come round from 'smoke and sound' to 'flickering firebox and sound'!

Not quite a like for like comparison is it?

The 1970s sound was a 'scratchy noise' inside the tender.

Modern sound is vastly superior.

I have a Zimo sound decoder in mine, so it will be different so in my case the modern offering has a firebox which glows all the time, instead of when the loco is moving.

Sounds can be synchronised to wheel revolutions.

Soft/sharp chuffs can be selected depending on whether the loco is hauling a train or light engine.

It also had a coasting sound for deceleration.

It has 4 selectable whistles.

Smoke is still available. The 1970s version of this was not great because oily smoke dribbled out of the chimney & condensed on the outside of the boiler, which is why it fell out of favour.

I have seen some OO gauge locos with dry smoke which gets properly puffed out of the chimney in line with the cylinder beats.

• RMweb Gold

Expected to be arriving in March is R3711 in the early Blue and R3713 in the Late BR Maroon, as well as their DCC fitted counterparts!

r3711_princess-royal-class_princess-marie-louise_product_1.jpg.a3e3ebc52fe1c58b07a50e9b2e289bfa.jpgr3713_princess-royal-class_princess-arthur-of-connaught_product_2.jpg.ae9c69c4a12034af8e31ceb0002a52b1.jpg

If you'd like one, head down to your "LMS" now and pop in a pre-order!

Edited by Derails Models
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, johnd said:

What are the opinions of the sound files on the Hornby TTS sound decoder, anybody ?

How like the original are they?

Thx in advance for your comments.

Honestly? It will be hopeless as it won’t chuff in sync with the movement of the pistons and the wheels. The whistle will no doubt be a Stanier hooter and that is about the only thing it will have in common with the true sound of a Princess. If you want sound spend the extra £60 or so and get something expediently better from one of the Zimo or Loksound suppliers. Honest opinion and not meant to cause offence to any that can live with the serious inadequacies of TTS steam sounds. 

Edited by MikeParkin65
  • Funny 1

As to the red finish, here is my newly-arrived 6201 with two photos with exactly the same camera, settings and angles, but I just shifted a reading lamp slightly,  which shows how easily a finish can change from flat to satin to mild gloss...

Img_4504ab_r1800.jpg.b6a0fe4a6e2f3a96d6551575ac88e448.jpg

Img_4505a_r1800a.jpg.b44ff967a645bf11722162e1f26b5720.jpg

Edited by robmcg
correction
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

30 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Honestly? It will be hopeless as it won’t chuff in sync with the movement of the pistons and the wheels. The whistle will no doubt be a Stanier hooter and that is about the only thing it will have in common with the true sound of a Princess. If you want sound spend the extra £60 or so and get something expediently better from one of the Zimo or Loksound suppliers. Honest opinion and not meant to cause offence to any that can live with the serious inadequacies of TTS steam sounds. 

I feel that is harsh.

Hornby make an effort to get good recordings form the real locos & in every one I have heard, they have achieved this.

The speaker supplied with TTS lets it down badly, but this can easily be replaced with something better.

Once a decent speaker is in place, the sounds seem reasonably accurate

but

Chuffs can't be adjusted to sync with wheels.

TTS will only play 1 sound as well as the running sound (so you can't sound the whistle while the injector is running: it will fade one out & back in to play the other. Zimos/ESUs allow you to play 4 sounds plus the driving sound. This is even more relevant with a diesel.

Extra functions such as advanced consisting are unavailable. Advanced consisting is again something which benefits diesels more.

Volume levels are less adjustable. I can't turn my class 60's spirax valves down or off. The decoder just ignores any changes. Zimo & ESU are much more adjustable.

The better decoders provide better motor control.

That may sound like a lot of drawbacks, but they are 1/3 -1/2 that Zimo/ESU, so you get what you pay for.

My own choice is that I would rather wait until next month & get a Zimo/ESU instead of a TTS now.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Chuffs can't be adjusted to sync with wheels.

This is my point really, ‘chuff to wheel movement’ is fundamental to a steam loco - the two are inextricably mechanically linked. 

• Agree 1

Surely there can be some form of optical sensor / trigger in one of the drivers - micro sized even behind one of the wheel weights - not certain of what's possible?

There are similar things with RC model cars to detect engine speed.

Al.

30 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Surely there can be some form of optical sensor / trigger in one of the drivers - micro sized even behind one of the wheel weights - not certain of what's possible?

There are similar things with RC model cars to detect engine speed.

Al.

It is easier than an optical sensor & receiver.

A DC motor pulses as it turns & the motor is mechanically linked to the wheels, so the easiest way to keep in sync is to respond to this pulsing.

This is how more expensive decoders vary their exhaust beat & that's exactly the point.

The TTS is cheaper because it lacks features of better decoders. If you want these features, you need a better decoder.

• Agree 1

They look nice. I don't think my bank account would cope with me modelling the WCML in BR steam days though!

46206 has a domeless boiler too. Nice to see the variations represented instead of using the same tooling for all.

I believe there were some differences between 6200/01 & the later 10. Not just the boilers but something to do with their cylinders & valve gear but I don't know what.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Black 5 Bear said:

I've just received notification from Hornby that R3711 Princess Marie Louise/R3713 Princess Arthur of Connaught have arrived in stock and are being prepared for shipping.

Now I can relive the seminal moment viewed  from the window of our Chester bound train ready to depart from Shrewsbury .Across my field of vision in stately fashion glided a large blue Lady Patricia 46210......the first Stanier Pacific I’d seen.The age of BR blue wasn’t to last long....but a week later I saw my second at Llandudno Junction but this time in the form of Duchess City Of Coventry 46240  in ex-streamlined  ‘semi’ form and also in blue.

• Like 2

On 04/03/2020 at 08:01, Black 5 Bear said:

Trix produced British outline models to a scale of 3.8mm/ft, this being in-between HO and OO.

All stock was produced to this scale such as the Peppercorn Pacific, Western and E3000 classes.

Quite good models for the day.

The Peppercorn and E3001 were to 4mm scale. The A4 and A3 were also 4mm scale. The Warship, Western, Transpennine and Mk1 coaches were 3.8mm/ft scale. The late Tony Matthewman's book is an indispensable bible as to the ins and out of Trix production.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

This is my point really, ‘chuff to wheel movement’ is fundamental to a steam loco - the two are inextricably mechanically linked. 

What is an isn't indespensible varies from person to person. Personally, the lack of clouds of steam/smoke is always going to compromise the illusion for me with model steam engines......

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

What is an isn't indespensible varies from person to person. Personally, the lack of clouds of steam/smoke is always going to compromise the illusion for me with model steam engines......

Physics is physics

• RMweb Gold
On 04/03/2020 at 08:01, Black 5 Bear said:

Trix produced British outline models to a scale of 3.8mm/ft, this being in-between HO and OO.

All stock was produced to this scale such as the Peppercorn Pacific, Western and E3000 classes.

Quite good models for the day.

E3001 (class 81) is OO.. indeed its spot on accurate to a Bachmann class 85 chassis, just needs a few mods to fit. The detail on the class 81 is excellent, even down to wheelset detail. If that tooling survived it could still stand to its peers today.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

On 06/03/2020 at 18:28, Ian Hargrave said:

Now I can relive the seminal moment viewed  from the window of our Chester bound train ready to depart from Shrewsbury .Across my field of vision in stately fashion glided a large blue Lady Patricia 46210......the first Stanier Pacific I’d seen.The age of BR blue wasn’t to last long....but a week later I saw my second at Llandudno Junction but this time in the form of Duchess City Of Coventry 46240  in ex-streamlined  ‘semi’ form and also in blue.

They must have looked wonderful, especially with blood and custard coaches. From the photographs, which seem to be of the actual models, the blue looks better than that on King Richard II. Closer to that on preserved locomotives, assuming that the preservationists have it right.

• Like 1

On 06/03/2020 at 19:30, andyman7 said:

Try modelling the Great Western main line in high summer. Not much of either to be seen.

• Like 1

On 05/03/2020 at 20:44, johnd said:

What are the opinions of the sound files on the Hornby TTS sound decoder, anybody ?

How like the original are they?

Thx in advance for your comments.

In addition to the comments already made, with which I agree – TTS steam sound seems to speed up in steps, which is more-or-less how a diesel works but certainly not a steamer. Speaking for myself, TTS is all right for diesels but I don’t like TTS steam one little bit.

You ask how like the original? I love sound but I have to admit that it is no more than a representation of the real thing. A model diesel is never going to reverberate in your lungs as a real one does, nor will a model produce quite the deep whoosh of a steamer starting a heavy train.

• Like 1

For those interested in the new R3207 LMS 6201 Princess which in late 1936-1937 condition so far as I know, the livery is in my opinion superbly rich.

This does not often show in review or catalogue photos, and today in a mix of indirect autumn afternoon sunlight and a very small amount of tungsten 40w reading lamp light, it came up like this below.  No editing, or change to colours whatsoever, crying out for steps and front coupling and cylinder drains.

Reminded me of taking photo in the 1950s when you had to send film away and hope some had 'turned out', except these days you can do it instantly!

Camera is a Canon EOS-M, standard half-frame format, zoom 18-55mm lens set to about 40mm, F29, approx 6 seconds, DIN100.   Two photos taken for the 3/4-frontal shot, joined so as all in sharp focus.

I'm VERY impressed. :)

Img_4506abc_r1800.jpg.7d2d5173bda0be84a90f29ea3ce8cce5.jpg 

Img_4508a_r1800.jpg.28d2f645b524f76b91d817f3471319bc.jpg

Cheers

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1