Hornby - New tooling - LMS Princess class

Andy Y

I also had an initial fault on my new Princess Arthur. On running in yesterday, it was very noisy in forward, but not in reverse. The grating noise was pulsing indicating something was catching and wasn't noticeable at slow speed. I took the body off and discovered that the motor was elevated at the rear, which caused the drive shaft to rub against the metal chassis. The motor was easily pushed down into position, but seems to be an interference fit, as there is nothing to secure it in place. It is holding in position but I may make a fixing to ensure it stays in its location.

• Informative/Useful 1

27 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Is there a bracket screwed in from the bottom of the chassis holding it - don't know, don't have the locomotive, just asking.

Al.

No bracket. The chassis motor support moulding, at the rear, has a horseshoe shape cut out that matches a moulding at the rear of the motor. This has a notch at the base, so that the lower electrical connector can fit without pressure on the wiring. It gives a fairly tight slide in fit, but can presumably allow the motor to slide up, particularly during transit. There was nothing that was obviously missing or broken with the motor mount.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, rembrow said:

No bracket. The chassis motor support moulding, at the rear, has a horseshoe shape cut out that matches a moulding at the rear of the motor. This has a notch at the base, so that the lower electrical connector can fit without pressure on the wiring. It gives a fairly tight slide in fit, but can presumably allow the motor to slide up, particularly during transit. There was nothing that was obviously missing or broken with the motor mount.

From your description, the motor mounting sounds similar in its design to the Hornby Lord Nelson model, one of which I bought last year.  Putting it on the track for the first time, the loco made an awful noise in one direction while it was fine running the other way.  Opening it up to see if there was a simple remedy rather than sending it straight back to the shop, the cause was easy to see, the back of the motor not being seated and sticking up at an angle.  Simply pushing it back down where it should be fixed the problem which hasn't occurred again since, despite the motor being held in place by a simple tight push fit that in appearance doesn't inspire you with confidence.  Hopefully your Princess will be ok now, too.

Pete T.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

Would black tack assist in holding it more securely?

Al.

Thanks, good idea. I'll do that when I take the body off. It's very tight around the rear motor bracket as the wiring from the tender is squeezed in between the rear of tbe motor and the firebox glow circuit board.

That bit is actually a Hornby 'trick' in some of their locomotives I've found!

I understand what you're saying about the tight fit - always have similar problems when I remove the body of my Royal Scot 46100 !!

Al.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This enforced homeworking sees me sat in the attic in the middle of 'the railway'. Perhaps surprisingly I've not been tempted away from my screen to 'play trains' but it has given me the opportunity to survey the scene around me (our employers insist we look away from the screen every 45 mins!) and I find myself admiring the engines 'on shed'.

The Princess has never been one of my favourite classes  - I've always thought of it looked dated compared to it contemporaries but the new Hornby  model is a cracker. In fact I know there is a separate thread for Hornby's Best Ever but I think I am going to say the Princess is my new 'Best of'. The only mods mine has had so far are a pair of Gibson front bogie wheels (huge improvement), painted the edges of the tyres black and close coupled the tender. Oh and added a front coupling shackle as Hornby have weirdly only provided a hook. I've got a set of Model Master plates to fit, probably alter the cab doors to fold inwards and that should be it.

As I said, lovely model - probably Hornbys best (so far) :)

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 05/06/2020 at 15:04, MikeParkin65 said:

This enforced homeworking sees me sat in the attic in the middle of 'the railway'. Perhaps surprisingly I've not been tempted away from my screen to 'play trains' but it has given me the opportunity to survey the scene around me (our employers insist we look away from the screen every 45 mins!) and I find myself admiring the engines 'on shed'.

The Princess has never been one of my favourite classes  - I've always thought of it looked dated compared to it contemporaries but the new Hornby  model is a cracker. In fact I know there is a separate thread for Hornby's Best Ever but I think I am going to say the Princess is my new 'Best of'. The only mods mine has had so far are a pair of Gibson front bogie wheels (huge improvement), painted the edges of the tyres black and close coupled the tender. Oh and added a front coupling shackle as Hornby have weirdly only provided a hook. I've got a set of Model Master plates to fit, probably alter the cab doors to fold inwards and that should be it.

As I said, lovely model - probably Hornbys best (so far) :)

As a postscript to this,it is perhaps interesting to observe that the newly released R 3819 Duchess of Atholl is also made by the same factory.With the pedigree established by the Princess,I can see why.   

Same quality feel and finish.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

As a postscript to this,it is perhaps interesting to observe that the newly released R 3819 Duchess of Atholl is also made by the same factory.With the pedigree established by the Princess,I can see why.   

Same quality feel and finish.

I agree about the Princess being well-made and having a nice finish, still waiting for my R3819 which appears to be delayed by international air-space limitations and processing at airports. Not as bad as those who had their pre-orders cancelled, though, my sincere sympathies to those who suffered that.

It's a tricky subject the shortfall in received models and dishonoured pre-orders for the latter, nice to see Hornby still cracking on with excellent Princess models though, with Covid-affected shipments around the world we have had deliveries from Europe to New Zealand door-to-door varying from 3 months to 4 days!

As to the 'looks' of the Princess I think it very much depends on the angle of view, I made a nice edited pic of 6200 in LMS days which makes it look very good indeed, even if it was a Collett King with a big firebox. I've sort of reduced my showing of pics on RMweb because of the oft-expressed antipathy of several prominent contributors and their complaints to Andy Y, I can understand that models are models and everything should be accurate and not false pretence, especially if you are into exploring the provenance of prototype photos  as a major part of 'modelling',  but I am beginning to ramble! :)

Edited by robmcg
typo
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

16 hours ago, Cor-onGRT4 said:

Hornby received today new models of Princess Royal in stock

Ah, when I saw the words 'Princess Royal' I thought maybe it was THE Princess Royal LMS 6200, which would steal the show for me if matched with the early 1933-4 tender, but upon waking up I see it's LMS 6212 and BR Green 46211,the latter particularly welcome.

I notice the Hornby ad for 46211 has a picture with 'livery subject to change', which suggests extra effort into BR Brunswick Green? I hope. :)

Pic from Hattons video, thankyou Hattons.

46211_Princess_Image2a_r1800.jpg.f9dc904ae7b18ccf0aabe0b38a2e5028.jpg

Edited by robmcg
added comment and pic
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, robmcg said:

As to the 'looks' of the Princess I think it very much depends on the angle of view, I made a nice edited pic of 6200 in LMS days which makes it look very good indeed, even if it was a Collett King with a big firebox. I've sort of reduced my showing of pics on RMweb because of the oft-expressed antipathy of several prominent contributors and their complaints to Andy Y, I can understand that models are models and everything should be accurate and not false pretence, especially if you are into exploring the provenance of prototype photos  as a major part of 'modelling',  but I am beginning to ramble! :)

I, for one, love seeing your pictures Rob and hope you carry on posting them - the more LMS the better :) .  Any 'prominent contributors' who don't like seeing them should be more than capable of scrolling past without getting too offended. 

In fact, if you were to start your own photo thread displaying your results I'd be among the first subscribers.  

Graeme

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

I'm surprised Hornby didn't produce another Lady Patricia in BR Blue Early Crest in the new tooling. I already have three of the newely tooled LMS Princess class I'd love a third.

39 minutes ago, RyanN91 said:

I'm surprised Hornby didn't produce another Lady Patricia in BR Blue Early Crest in the new tooling. I already have three of the newely tooled LMS Princess class I'd love a third.

Surprisingly enough, the experimental E/C BR blue loco is the only version which seems to be readily available and subject to good discounts. 

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yes the experimental E/C BR blue is very attractive I have BR, Princess Royal, 4-6-2, 46206 'Princess Marie Louise',

LMS, Princess Royal, 4-6-2, 6201 'Princess Elizabeth'.

And the Centenary 100 years of the Hornby train set on pre-order. I think anymore than 3 Princess Royals would be too many but I wouldn't rule out buying if Lady Patricia is launched. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jacko said:

I, for one, love seeing your pictures Rob and hope you carry on posting them - the more LMS the better :) .  Any 'prominent contributors' who don't like seeing them should be more than capable of scrolling past without getting too offended. 

In fact, if you were to start your own photo thread displaying your results I'd be among the first subscribers.  

Graeme

Thanks for that Graeme. 

I know Facebook isn't everyone's cup of tea but I have a public page called 'BR Steam Photos' with three thousand or so followers where I put most of my pictures in reasonably high-definition form.

Also a page with over 4,000 followers called 'US Articulated Steam Locomotives'.

Cheers, Robbie

p.s. I should add that I like RMweb for its news, comments and knowledge about all kinds of things. 

Edited by robmcg
addition
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 19/08/2020 at 21:38, robmcg said:

...I've sort of reduced my showing of pics on RMweb because of the oft-expressed antipathy of several prominent contributors and their complaints to Andy Y, I can understand that models are models and everything should be accurate and not false pretence.... :)

I can't see the problem with image manipulation as long as you attribute the original source photo?

8 hours ago, maico said:

I can't see the problem with image manipulation as long as you attribute the original source photo?

The photos are usually my own, with smoke and effects painted by me sometimes with fragments of 'real' skies, smoke, track, and so on from open source images. Sometimes I'll enhance an advertising picture in the same way, having bought the model.

I never use any single photo as a source other than my own. The enhanced pics may have elements of up to a dozen, with paint and other effects joining thins up as it were... 

Some people just don't like a mix of computer generated imagery with photos of models, yet manipulate images to create anodyne skies , block out background sections, and so on, but this is not the place for that debate, what is 'real' and what is not.

Here is an example of a Hornby Princess  with my typical additions, will remove if asked.

6201_princess_shed5_with_pump_4abcd_r1800.jpg.d46d15d4c200cfebfcc652b76adbdc6a.jpg

and another, this being a Princess thread. This being derived from a Hornby pre-production image where it still had a vac pump on the slidebars.

6201_princess_at_speed_2abcdef_r1800.jpg.1636e682a8139060d733e73909da6bf8.jpg

Shades of the great 1936 5 3/4 hour Glasgow-Euston run!

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 2

Looking at Hattons photographs, its the 1939 on version, it does not have the earlier 10 bolt smokebox door,

was hoping for this special one, and an early built, maybe future releases of other Pricess Royal loco's are earlier build.

Edited by Cor-onGRT4