Hornby - New tooling - LMS Princess class

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Although it's too early to be sure, the green looks ok...

547269072_46211_princess_R3855_20200825_3546586_Qty1_1(1).jpg.2452bd711083387e4c66c0957c4cf7ed.jpg

Nice subdued lining...

Now I'll HAVE to buy one! 

Kernows have a nice image too....

Looks different to previous attempts but I’m waiting to see one in the flesh. In photos those boiler bands look a little too bright and tangerine and shouldn’t the cylinder cover be lined too?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Now I'll HAVE to buy one! 

You won't be disappointed, Robbie.  When you get it sitting in front of you, it's just gorgeous.  Hornby really excelled themselves on this one.

Pete T.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PJT said:

You won't be disappointed, Robbie.  When you get it sitting in front of you, it's just gorgeous.  Hornby really excelled themselves on this one.

Pete T.

Thanks, I just clicked 'buy now' and await the pleasure!  :)

Today I finally received advice that my diecast Atholl has left the UK... I bought one on Ebay and am using a rather slow but reliable postal agent     how much pleasure can a man endure?

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

shouldn’t the cylinder cover be lined too?

Mike, though the pre-release Hornby images had lined cylinders, if you Google 46211 Queen Maud and look at the images of the real thing (as I've just done, following your post), several colour photos show it with plain black cylinders.  I was a bit surprised, too, though unlined cylinders isn't unknown on BR green locos of course (A3s, for a start).

Pete T.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Mine arrived yesterday and although it has had several hours running-in, and runs like a dream, the colour appears flat and a pale nauseating shade of green..??    That, of course, may have been artificial fluorescent lighting but I doubt it greatly as all of the other loco's would be subject to this also.

To me, it's as though the paintwork has dulled and needs a "T-Cut" job!

Edited by Heiter
Spelling error....Oh!
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 26/08/2020 at 22:10, Cor-onGRT4 said:

Looking at Hattons photographs, its the 1939 on version, it does not have the earlier 10 bolt smokebox door,

was hoping for this special one, and an early built, maybe future releases of other Pricess Royal loco's are earlier build.

I was wondering if they chose 6212 because it had the unusual smokebox door arrangement, but apparently not.

Post-1939 suits me fine, but I would kind of liked to run it in its earlier form & invoked modellers' license.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/08/2020 at 23:34, PJT said:

Mike, though the pre-release Hornby images had lined cylinders, if you Google 46211 Queen Maud and look at the images of the real thing (as I've just done, following your post), several colour photos show it with plain black cylinders.  I was a bit surprised, too, though unlined cylinders isn't unknown on BR green locos of course (A3s, for a start).

Pete T.

Googled ‘Princess 46211’ and the first image that comes up is indeed broadly in the condition portrayed by Hornby. It appears to have been taken outside Crewe works and the loco has clearly been patch painted and the left hand cylinder cover is freshly gloss black without lining. Interestingly the AWS bang plate appears newly fitted and isn’t painted - I wonder if the loco isn’t actually finished. I haven’t seen a picture of 46211 in traffic and with the cylinder cover unlined. The excellent RCTS Stanier Pacific’s book does state that cylinder lining is part of the painting specification for green locos so if it wasn’t applied to 46211 that makes it an oddity rather than norm. 

All of this is academic of course if the green is another of Hornby’s miserable matt ‘undercoat’ shades. 

• Agree 2

On 30/08/2020 at 06:04, Ian Hargrave said:

Funny they can do red but so it seems from the dawn of history not green.

Images online I see of the BR current release once again do not appeal.

Why does it occur repeatedly? 

I have adapted advertising pics and with minor editing the engine looks great. It didn't take much.

Possibly many photos render the model in a pale shade to show detail, and are not truly representative of the look of the model in ordinary daylight.  Maybe we shall see photos soon by such as Mike Wild, Andy York or Tony Wright which will give a more accurate idea.

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, robmcg said:

I have adapted advertising pics and with minor editing the engine looks great. It didn't take much.

Possibly many photos render the model in a pale shade to show detail, and are not truly representative of the look of the model in ordinary daylight.  Maybe we shall see photos soon by such as Mike Wild or Tony Wright which will give a more accurate idea.

I appreciate what you are saying Rob but I’m not optimistic.I’ve seen too many pale renderings like this from Hornby.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I appreciate what you are saying Rob but I’m not optimistic.I’ve seen too many pale renderings like this from Hornby.

We also have the evidence provided by Heiter who has the model and  describes the green  as ‘flat and nauseating’.

I can’t understand how Hornby can get the maroon so right yet manage ‘50 shades of green’ which only have in common a flatness and not looking like the prototype.  

In terms of purchases this is 46211 I won’t be getting, not optimistic for 46257 and will hang fire on the new LNER Pacific’s. 

38 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

We also have the evidence provided by Heiter who has the model and  describes the green  as ‘flat and nauseating’.

I can’t understand how Hornby can get the maroon so right yet manage ‘50 shades of green’ which only have in common a flatness and not looking like the prototype.  

In terms of purchases this is 46211 I won’t be getting, not optimistic for 46257 and will hang fire on the new LNER Pacific’s. 

The BR brunswick green looks similar to the finish applied to the Hornby Lord Nelson class.

It's not too bad and certainly not as light or flat as the King class.

A spray coating of matt varnish deepens the colour/finish making it quite acceptable.

I do not model BR period, but years ago a well known large model railway dealer who was just starting out at the time told me he used to lightly rub Johnsons Baby Oil over his 2nd hand locos to make them look like shiny new, could someone with a "flat" green one have a go and report back if it makes any difference. I  don't think it could hurt, just tryin' to help.

• Informative/Useful 2

11 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

The BR brunswick green looks similar to the finish applied to the Hornby Lord Nelson class.

It's not too bad and certainly not as light or flat as the King class.

A spray coating of matt varnish deepens the colour/finish making it quite acceptable.

That's my impression too, but I must wait until my purchase arrives from the UK which these days can take anything from 4 days to 7 weeks.

As I mentioned to Ian I can make it look great by  my photo editing, darkening the green and adding contrast to the boiler... it would be nice if the model itself was already closer to the prototype.  I recall the Bachmann and Hornby Hall models side by side in front of my camera and the difference was considerable.

4965_4935_Bachmann_Hornby_Hall_2a_r1200a.jpg.7a45e4463b16c65fd6b47d0d18fe6fbf.jpg

4965_4935_Bachmann_Hornby_Hall_3ab_EOS-M_r1200ab.jpg.415499a09a86f164eb61e43ab88728fd.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

In comparison, the Hattons photo isn't too bad, which just shows how camera settings and lighting affect things.  Note; I straightened the front bogie.. but haven't messed with the greens ... auto colour.

46211_princess_Image22_1abcdeff_r1800.jpg.c0964429ec0c389503325eb90d9741a5.jpg

Edit, as it happens I have just been photographing a TTS Nelson 30850 and it isn't bad... quite comparable to the above I suspect, but I stress that lighting and camera settings are so variable with greens in  particular I feel rather sorry for Paul Isles and co!

30850_LN_Nelson_portrait25_1ab_Img_5115ab_r1800.jpg.590ce749a3eceb288d07503e1aec4efe.jpg

Edited by robmcg
typos, addition.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Really?!?

My experience is that Hornby are all too good at doing matt finishes themselves - usually on entirely the wrong shade of green.

Certainly, the very few Hornby BR green locos that I have bought have all had to be repainted with Phoenix Precision green, and relined / lettered.

John Isherwood.

13 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Works for me I'm afraid.

Each to their own. 

What is it with you trying to be persistently/deliberately combative and a general PITA ?

A simple expression of my own experience / view - as you say, each to their own. Nothing combative about that - just a different point of view to your own.

For what it's worth, I note that the majority of comments above refer to Hornby's green being too flat.

John Isherwood.

4 hours ago, cctransuk said:

A simple expression of my own experience / view - as you say, each to their own. Nothing combative about that - just a different point of view to your own.

For what it's worth, I note that the majority of comments above refer to Hornby's green being too flat.

John Isherwood.

Surely, the majority can't be wrong...it's insipid, FLAT, and nauseating!

Edited by Heiter

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Heiter said:

Surely, the majority can't be wrong...it's insipid, FLAT, and nauseating!

Ah now....and who might they,”the majority “ be ?  Some ( but not all ) members of this forum ,the chosen few ,me included .......OR the unheard multitude who are not of this faith ( RMWeb )  and who will be more than happy to part with the readies for Maudie. Who is right but is there a wrong ? This is an essentially rhetorical question so do please NOT respond. Thank you in anticipation.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

On a positive note ,the Hornby Princess is a cracking model .Up there as the best of rtr. 

My own nostalgic affair with the Princess goes back to when she was elegantly bedecked in blue.The affair carried on for a decade when she won my heart in BR red/ maroon (?)  Edge Hill’s finest at the head of “The Merseyside Express “ . Can’t honestly remember her in green though.

Someone should in years to come after this cohort of worthies has dropped of their respective trees write a PhD thesis on “The Use And Misuse of BR Green in Model Railway Design & Production “ 

• Like 3

Now who's telling whom what to do..??      The model was not returned because I wanted the model weathered, can't abide ex-works/pristine, and that's why it wasn't returned.    The model that I have operates like a dream but that's NO EXCUSE for Hornby's poor paint jobs.    It's not as if Hornby are amateurs, is it!!    Come-on, let's call a spade a spade and not a piece of agricultural equipment!

Hornby have been very helpful and this is no reflection on our friends darn sarf...I hope.

Edited by Heiter
"on"

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

On a positive note ,the Hornby Princess is a cracking model .Up there as the best of rtr. 

My own nostalgic affair with the Princess goes back to when she was elegantly bedecked in blue.The affair carried on for a decade when she won my heart in BR red/ maroon (?)  Edge Hill’s finest at the head of “The Merseyside Express “ . Can’t honestly remember her in green though.

Someone should in years to come after this cohort of worthies has dropped of their respective trees write a PhD thesis on “The Use And Misuse of BR Green in Model Railway Design & Production “ 

Somebody may well take you up on their interpretation of "green" Ian!