Hornby - New tooling - LMS Princess class

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Brocp said:

Hi Farren,

The prototype pair kept there's on the front splasher well in to BR (maybe they're whole lives?) 

Preserved 6201 still has a plate on the first splasher. I was taking a photo of the plate a couple of years ago having ridden behind 6201 on a Shakespeare Express when Bob Meanley approached me and said ‘You realise that isn’t the original?’ Apparently the original was stolen before preservation and the one 6201 carries is from a Crab! :)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Preserved 6201 still has a plate on the first splasher. I was taking a photo of the plate a couple of years ago having ridden behind 6201 on a Shakespeare Express when Bob Meanley approached me and said ‘You realise that isn’t the original?’ Apparently the original was stolen before preservation and the one 6201 carries is from a Crab! :)

I’m surprised it was carrying an original of any loco.

These things are quite valuable and often prone to dissapear.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Brocp said:

For anyone that has 6212, can they confirm the style of drain cocks? It should have the earlier style like what came with 6201, not the latter style that the picture Black Bear 5 posted a link too.

It came with the latter style.

3 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Quite fancy my lady of Kent but I think one LMS Lizzie must suffice. ....for now.

You could always bow to the LNWR and have a post-war black big 'un...

edited pic will remove if required.

Actually a Hornby model but edited wheels etc.  Nice restrained weathering, very O S Nock era.  

6233_duchess_portrait60_shed_no_aws_5abcdef_r1800.jpg.daec7e338b1c89dd710f082d74bf77ab.jpg

cheers

Edited by robmcg
addition
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Looks like it's come detached from the bracket.

Jason

Looks like it was intended to be connected because of the hole in the arm on the crankpin but changed without removing the hole. The retooled castles have a similar arrangement  where the crank doesn't touch the plastic part of the drive.

10 hours ago, Brocp said:

For anyone that has 6212, can they confirm the style of drain cocks? It should have the earlier style like what came with 6201, not the latter style that the picture Black Bear 5 posted a link too.

Looking at my images of the class in LMS days I can't see any difference in the drain cocks across the whole class. Three pipes clipped together extending just beyond the cylinder front. What am I missing? 

Alan 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Taking on board what Rob and others,including myself,have commented on regarding the vibrancy of the paint finish on this model,it somewhat mystifies me that the Lizzies all come from the same factory in China as in fact does the 6231 Centenary model and yet the green 46211 appears to be getting adverse criticism due to quite the opposite. Odd indeed but a continuation of a state of affairs that has been the case for quite a while.

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Buhar said:

Looking at my images of the class in LMS days I can't see any difference in the drain cocks across the whole class. Three pipes clipped together extending just beyond the cylinder front. What am I missing? 

Alan 

To clarify what i meant,

The model of 6212 comes with the late BR modification of draincocks, shown in the picture Black Bear 5 linked in their post. These aren't the 3 pipes linked together like those provided on the model of 6201 which Hornby got right. 

So that's another thing Hornby got wrong on Duchess of Kent, though it's easily fixed.

Edited by Brocp
Word edit
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Brocp my cut-off is Nationalisation, so I don't need to worry about that. Not that long ago drain cocks were "super-detailing" along with lamp irons and brakes. How far have we come that your observations are a valid comment!

Alan 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Buhar said:

Thanks @Brocp my cut-off is Nationalisation, so I don't need to worry about that. Not that long ago drain cocks were "super-detailing" along with lamp irons and brakes. How far have we come that your observations are a valid comment!

Alan 

Hi Alan, it's crazy to think rtr has come this far isn't it? I model 1947 LMS so I'll be purchasing several models of 6212 to change in to some of the others that stayed Crimson Lake until the end. I'll most likely use Brassmasters Stanier draincocks for them anyway, but the Hornby ones are quite good castings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Taking on board what Rob and others,including myself,have commented on regarding the vibrancy of the paint finish on this model,it somewhat mystifies me that the Lizzies all come from the same factory in China as in fact does the 6231 Centenary model and yet the green 46211 appears to be getting adverse criticism due to quite the opposite. Odd indeed but a continuation of a state of affairs that has been the case for quite a while.

Or we could all play safe and wait for the R1251M "Centenary Set " featuring 46201 in BR early crest black.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Or we could all play safe and wait for the R1251M "Centenary Set " featuring 46201 in BR early crest black.

Indeed.BR black on Stanier Pacifics hung around into the early 1950’s.

Eventually I expect Hornby to produce a postwar black edition with appropriate LMS lettering. IMHO more appealing.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Following on from my above post on the Lizzie in the interim years,I thumbed through my copy of Canon Treacy’s “Steam Up” which has ,although in b&w ,some interesting images of them and other LMS/LMRin a variety of guises in terms of smokebox and cab numbering and tender lettering in both British Railways and LMS styles,including 46212,46210,6223 ,46233 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Following on from my above post on the Lizzie in the interim years,I thumbed through my copy of Canon Treacy’s “Steam Up” which has ,although in b&w ,some interesting images of them and other LMS/LMRin a variety of guises in terms of smokebox and cab numbering and tender lettering in both British Railways and LMS styles,including 46212,46210,6223 ,46233 

That would look very smart indeed if it was anything like the livery application of the Bachmann Jubilee Madras in post 1948 BR livery.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Or maybe slightly easier to obtain get a copy of ‘Eric Treacys LMS ‘ - available for less than the price on a magazine second hand :)

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1