Hornby - New tooling - LMS Princess class

Andy Y

On 04/09/2020 at 12:27, Ian Hargrave said:

Indeed.BR black on Stanier Pacifics hung around into the early 1950’s.

Eventually I expect Hornby to produce a postwar black edition with appropriate LMS lettering. IMHO more appealing.

I would like that too.

Whether Hornby make one depends on how well they believe it will sell.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

They'll eventually make one in LMS post war black, I think possibly even next year. Which one they select is the real question, a production batch or 6200/6201. Personally I'm super disappointed in the Rails/Hornby fiasco simply because I had the centenary Princess on order, I was going to backdate that model to 6200 in 1947 condition, lined black, domeless boiler.... hopefully that version of the prototype pair becomes available as a regular run in the future, no matter the livery.

2 hours ago, Fredo said:

Hi,

we bought yesterday one of the new Princess models 46207, in the late 50’s the loco was fitted with AWS, has anyone managed to fit an AWS Box to their model?
Thanks Fred

Not got one yet. I'm surprised that 46207 hasn't got them fitted. Not in the bag?

But if you are looking for them try Comet/Wizard or Brassmasters. Both do them.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Fredo said:

Hi,

we bought yesterday one of the new Princess models 46207, in the late 50’s the loco was fitted with AWS, has anyone managed to fit an AWS Box to their model?
Thanks Fred

Hornbys has modelled 46207 post painting in BR maroon (May 1958) but prior to fitting AWS (March 1959) so it is strictly only accurate for quite a narrow time window for a loco not withdrawn until November 1961. As said above aftermarket parts are available if you want to add the AWS yourself.

If you're doing an upgrade change the Hornby front bogie wheels for the excellent Alan Gibson versions (catalogue ref G4836ST from the ever efficient Wizard Models) - these make a disproportionately vast improvement for minimal effort and outlay. The NEM mount on the front bogie can be neatly removed with gentle manipulation from a pair of pliers for another quick visual improvement (although having done that I have now replaced the entire bogie with the Comet etched Princess Coronation bogie).  One thing to note if you are upgrading the model is that the printed nameplates are over-scale so replacing with etched plates isnt as straight-forward as it could have been. 

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

57 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Hornbys has modelled 46207 post painting in BR maroon (May 1958) but prior to fitting AWS (March 1959) so it is strictly only accurate for quite a narrow time window for a loco not withdrawn until November 1961. As said above aftermarket parts are available if you want to add the AWS yourself.

If you're doing an upgrade change the Hornby front bogie wheels for the excellent Alan Gibson versions (catalogue ref G4836ST from the ever efficient Wizard Models) - these make a disproportionately vast improvement for minimal effort and outlay. The NEM mount on the front bogie can be neatly removed with gentle manipulation from a pair of pliers for another quick visual improvement (although having done that I have now replaced the entire bogie with the Comet etched Princess Coronation bogie).  One thing to note if you are upgrading the model is that the printed nameplates are over-scale so replacing with etched plates isnt as straight-forward as it could have been. 

It's amazing how a set of Alan Gibson front bogie wheelsets transform a Hornby model at very little additional cost or modelling as you say.

Prime examples of this being the current Black 5, 8F and Crosti 9F.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Agree 2

For those interested in Hornby BR green in its latest iteration, and let's be honest, who isn't interested in this absorbing subject,  here is 46211 straight out of the box in natural window light, grey early Spring day, 30 secs at F25 Canon EOS-M neutral colours, no artificial light. Totally smooth runner straight from box, utterly silent.

IMG_5144ab_r1800.jpg.bfa7d7c5819d21e92c0187d18b5aee83.jpg

cheers

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 06/09/2020 at 15:51, MikeParkin65 said:

Parr number for the wheelsets is useful.

Printed nameplates being too big is annoyingly common.

My Heljan class 50's plates were way too big. I was a but nervous attacking such an expensive model with T cut but I as relieved that the plate came off without damaging the paint & the etched plate was a massive improvement over the printed one. Removing a splasher plate is a bit more difficult.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, robmcg said:

For those interested in Hornby BR green in its latest iteration, and let's be honest, who isn't interested in this absorbing subject,  here is 46211 straight out of the box in natural window light, grey early Spring day, 30 secs at F25 Canon EOS-M neutral colours, no artificial light. Totally smooth runner straight from box, utterly silent.

IMG_5144ab_r1800.jpg.bfa7d7c5819d21e92c0187d18b5aee83.jpg

Rob, 

Nice photo. The Princess Royal is a fantastic model. I recommend everyone gets one! Your photo emphasises my favourite Hornby bugbear: those bright silver wheel rims! A steady drop of satin black around the wheel edges really sets the model off.

Henry 

IMG_-7sd6qc.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

Quite right Henri 84F, it is rather like the front wheel change,  minor work, great effect.

Here for interest is the same engine as my yesterday's photo in today's sunny weather, 2.5sces at F25  instead of 30 secs!

Img_5156abc_r1800.jpg.0d0bca8ac3e0230bc5c2eaf1a47bd30c.jpg

Does beg for minor detailing  and touches, the green is perhaps a bit flat, and as others mention, can be addressed with various finishes.

Or you can wait for Cartier Bresson's 'critical moment', that few seconds where the engine sat in direct sunlight. :)

IMG_5159ab_r1800.jpg.7a6e740586341f9f344c996b27a182f3.jpg

Call me colour blind but I think the green is alright. (photos un-fixed colour-wise, just cropped and aperture priority auto exposure and centre-focussed)

cheers

Edited by robmcg
added comment and pic
  • Like 5

29 minutes ago, aaron3820 said:

Had a Princess show up today as part of an old Rovex set c.1951. The comparison between old and new is one I’ve wanted to make since the new Princess was announced. 

27D2F06D-04E5-4F6E-BB83-35A43BB7FE5F.jpeg.b722033f85a509196e2dd6259038f09c.jpeg903ED3F1-5A00-422E-91C1-3EA5F15B30E9.jpeg.9d1929b83fc81f633d5933a801360422.jpegE3226CE5-5B3A-4831-8259-471B68951CB2.jpeg.91181a1a323a24814f5a662793de7eb2.jpeg461328C7-A9AA-4049-A8A2-83F1478829B1.jpeg.2613a35404920f9914da8b6689b1e3a0.jpeg

....and, coincidently, the commemorative Rovex Princess set is due out imminently.

John Isherwood.

Amazing to think I was happy to run the triang one as the main loco on my late teens layout as a fine example of the craft, not realising that 40 years later folk would be on the internet nit-picking over the slightest discrepancy in the details of the new one. 

• Like 2

The front end of your 6201 doesn't seem to be pointing upwards which is a good thing. To anyone that has 46211 or 6212, is the front end of the loco level now or does it have an upwards lean like quite a lot of the first releases do?

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Brocp said:

The front end of your 6201 doesn't seem to be pointing upwards which is a good thing. To anyone that has 46211 or 6212, is the front end of the loco level now or does it have an upwards lean like quite a lot of the first releases do?

My 46207 is perfectly level at the front (you panicked me - I had to check lol). What a lot of the Princesses do seem to 'suffer' from is the cylinders hang down slightly lower than the running plate - you can see it to a degree in the low angle shot aaron3820 's second shot of 6201 though I have seen examples were the gap is more pronounced. 

• Agree 1

I had an old Triang LMS Princess Elizabeth and thought it excellent .... then I purchased a Railway Modeller, or MRC which had a speciality / feature on LMS OO/HO ... and I started realising what I had was closer to TT !!

I further purchased an Ian Allen scale drawings book to place the locomotive alongside ... how embarrassing was that?  !!

Al.

10 hours ago, Brocp said:

I have 'first release' 6201 and 46211 and they are both perfectly good, with flat running plates as is a 6212 of which I have photos.

Here below is 6201 

Img_4504abcdef_r1800.jpg.f802b8a9ac77b9ffbc2657b64f2a3b61.jpg

and here is 46211

IMG_5159ab_r1800.jpg.207689ac0fa54c33ef44e19060f959a8.jpg

Best,

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, aaron3820 said:

My 6201 is a first release of the new tooling Princess, no issues at all with it

I doubt there has been more than 1 release/batch of 6201.

I would expect them to have done 1 large batch. Some of the stock would have been supplied to retailers quickly while others gone into storage to supply retailers with re-orders.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 13/05/2020 at 09:51, rembrow said:

I also had an initial fault on my new Princess Arthur. On running in yesterday, it was very noisy in forward, but not in reverse. The grating noise was pulsing indicating something was catching and wasn't noticeable at slow speed. I took the body off and discovered that the motor was elevated at the rear, which caused the drive shaft to rub against the metal chassis. The motor was easily pushed down into position, but seems to be an interference fit, as there is nothing to secure it in place. It is holding in position but I may make a fixing to ensure it stays in its location.

Thanks for this, you've saved me a 60 mile round trip as mine was similarly afflicted. Although the motor looked to be seated properly, I pushed it down at the end as much as I could and the noise has gone away. As with yours it was only in forward.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can I seek members advise?     A few months ago I purchased the R3713 - Princess Arthur of Connaught.

I would like to fit etched brass nameplates, can anyone who has fitted brass plates suggest a suitable supplier or which make may be the best fit to cover the existing one.

Many thanks!