Hornby - New tooling - LMS Princess class

Andy Y

2 hours ago, RCAR6015 said:

https://modelmaster.uk/4mm-46200-46212-princess-royal-4-6-2/4410-46207-princess-arthur-of-connaught.htmlCan I seek members advise?     A few months ago I purchased the R3713 - Princess Arthur of Connaught.

I would like to fit etched brass nameplates, can anyone who has fitted brass plates suggest a suitable supplier or which make may be the best fit to cover the existing one.

Many thanks!

Take a look at posting 1060 on this thread from Mikeparkin65.

I think Mike stated that printed nameplates on the model are over scale. This could cause a potential problem sourcing an aftermarket replacement. Modelmaster Jackson Evans would be good first port of call.

Hope this assists....

https://modelmaster.uk/4mm-46200-46212-princess-royal-4-6-2/4410-46207-princess-arthur-of-connaught.html

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Take a look at posting 1060 on this thread from Mikeparkin65.

I think Mike stated that printed nameplates on the model are over scale. This could cause a potential problem sourcing an aftermarket replacement. Modelmaster Jackson Evans would be good first port of call.

Hope this assists....

https://modelmaster.uk/4mm-46200-46212-princess-royal-4-6-2/4410-46207-princess-arthur-of-connaught.html

It is the Modelmaster plates I have that are smaller (and look close to scale to my eye) but won’t cover the larger Hornby printed plates. 

• Informative/Useful 1

57 minutes ago, sandwich station said:

How can you tell the post numbers?

I don't know how I've done it, but it appears I've cut and paste the number of posts Mike has posted rather than the date of the posting relating to Princess class nameplates.

Apologies to all concerned and for any confusion caused.

• RMweb Premium
On 04/12/2020 at 04:40, RCAR6015 said:

Can I seek members advise?     A few months ago I purchased the R3713 - Princess Arthur of Connaught.

I would like to fit etched brass nameplates, can anyone who has fitted brass plates suggest a suitable supplier or which make may be the best fit to cover the existing one.

Many thanks!

https://fox-transfers.co.uk/etched-plates/46207-princess-arthur-of-connaught

1 hour ago, 60800 said:

Would someone be able to elaborate on the differences between this year's Crimson Lake release of 6201 and how she is preserved please?

Cheers,

Main difference is the boiler. Other things like certain post preservation fittings, AWS. She has gold shaded red transfers now and the model has the yellow shaded ones. There's definitely more but it terms of overall appearance, these are the big visual ones.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, johnd said:

Whilst the Princess is being mentioned my DCC fitted 6201 seems to have the Firebox glow LED illuminated all the time. Is this normal or is there a Function  that enables it to be switched on/off ?

Having the decoder in the tender and there being only four wires connecting loco to tender I would assume that the firebox glow is not wired to a function.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Brocp said:

Hi Brocp,

Thanks for the info - looking at product images and photos of the loco I am genuinely struggling to see any differences in the boiler. Are you able to give me some visual cues please as to the external differences? 

Thanks,

Edit: Ah, my bad - I see the firebox is longer in pres.

Edited by 60800

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 60800 said:

Hi Brocp,

Thanks for the info - looking at product images and photos of the loco I am genuinely struggling to see any differences in the boiler. Are you able to give me some visual cues please as to the external differences? 

Thanks,

Edit: Ah, my bad - I see the firebox is longer in pres.

Top feed pipes (raised as  modelled, flush with cladding now) length of firebox  - evident if you count the washout plugs - 7 as modelled, 8 now. Various post preservation modifications including an air pump ahead of the L/H cylinder. There will be more but these are the standouts I think.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Top feed pipes (raised as  modelled, flush with cladding now) length of firebox  - evident if you count the washout plugs - 7 as modelled, 8 now. Various post preservation modifications including an air pump ahead of the L/H cylinder. There will be more but these are the standouts I think.

Thanks :) I've used @Brocp's original advice back in February that 46207 is correct to do 46203 so have eventually gone ahead and bought one of those instead, so that is one of two survivors sorted.

Due to her motion it looks like I won't be getting a 6201 until they do a preservation era version of her. 

Cheers,

Well, 46207 has arrived and 46207 is being boxed up and is going straight back! 

PXL_20201216_211621318.NIGHT.jpg.72d0b98c066816288c58d53d86c752a6.jpg

PXL_20201216_211650511.NIGHT.jpg.77a436a1df6fb056e1e4b80b294826e1.jpg

PXL_20201216_211717207.NIGHT.jpg.67a1c26ca6f1135ae0d527978a45112a.jpg

A myriad of issues really. There are lots of areas with missing or glossy paint and a nice lump of varnish on the bufferbeam. 

The valve gear and cylinders do not meet the running plate at all and the front running plate is quite simply a ski jump. Looking back at pre-production photos and most I can find online this is a common issue. To add insult to injury the bufferbeam isn't even level and if I were to be able to straighten the running plate out, I would have to remove the buffers as they would point down.

What a joke. 

• Like 1

Not obvious in your photos. 

A slight ski jump in the front is common, the cylinders and valve gear look about right to me.

The photos don't show blemishes or varnish errors. Forgive me, I've looked closely at your photos , as large as they will go, and the model looks superb to me.

Perhaps I am blind.

• Agree 3

Hi guys, 

Thanks for your replies, it is difficult to tell from photos. I ended up taking the loco back out of the box and having another look at it. The paint issues were a varnish blob on the bufferbeam, missing paint on the handrails and a slightly glossy area on the LH boilerside. I decided to rectify these and see where I could take it further. 

The cylinders and valve gear were being pushed down by ejector pin and glue marks on the underside of the running boards. Easy fix there.

Main issue was the ski jump - as can be seen in the photo with 46229 the top of the buffer head sat well clear of the top of Hamilton's bufferbeam. On investigation there were four causes - the useless little silicone washer, thick paint on the chassis, casting seams on the chassis and a badly fitted screw lug on the body. Essentially one thing to bin and three to attack with files. 

With this done, 46207's buffers now sit about 1mm higher than Hamilton's, rather than the 2.5mm they did before. I think I can live with that haha, but there's still more I can do to pull the front even lower. 

The bar connecting the cylinders on the Princess is very flimsy and I worry that if I put it under any more pressure to pull the cylinders square (they lean inwards slightly) that I might snap it.

Cheers,

Edited by 60800
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I've said it before but the first batch have a lot of issues. My Princess Elizabeth has the same fate regarding the sky jump front end and the cylinders hanging too low. Thanks for your write up on how you tackled the issues, that'll come in handy.

And I don't care what anyone says bit those smoke deflectors on these new Duchesses are wrong, like the DJH ones they aren't tall enough and detract from the face of the loco. At least Comet make the right sized deflectors.

• Like 1

For me I find that with Stanier Pacifics it doesn't matter how good the rest of the loco is - if the 'face' is off the model is ruined. Both The Lizzies and Coronations have stocky front ends and the new Hornby models of these miss that stocky look on both counts. For the Lizzies it's obviously the ski jump that spoils them for me, but it is fixable. For Hamilton up until now I wasn't sure what was wrong, but I do have a set of Comet deflectors from a stalled 46235 build (upgrading the old tool as I don't need to spend £200 on a static model), so @Brocp I'll dig them out and offer them up to Hamilton and see how they look.

Now that I'm happy-ish with the current state of 46207 it's being shuffled away for my birthday in Feb, so I'll fine tweak it and renumber it to 46203 when I properly have my hands on it. In the meantime I have a 46232 on the way to turn into Sutherland and I may have a look at the deflectors on this too, but will post that in the Coronation thread.

Cheers,

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My  46207  face to face with 46229. Both as bought apart from Comet bogies and Gibson bogie wheels. The buffers are pretty much the same height and 46207  has a straight running plate. Agree the gap between cylinder and running plate could be tighter and it is true that the cylinder molding does sit a little awk wardly on the chassis block.   Also agree about the Princess Coronation smoke deflectors lacking the presence of the real thing. 

46207.jpg

• Like 1