Jump to content

Hornby - New tooling - LMS Princess class


Andy Y
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 13/01/2020 at 08:55, 22C said:

I don’t know if R3854 Duchess of Kent will have the Derby style smokebox door (pre 1939) or the “standard” smokebox door that it was later fitted with?

 

I can’t decide whether to get Princess Elizabeth or Duchess of Kent!

It'll have a door dart, at least judging from the mock up.

  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Not your fault, but the same / similar photo has been bandied around for some time now.

 

Would be nice, probably beneficial for Hornby for them to distribute a more appropriate photograph with the completed, no-parts-missing locomotive.

 

Al.

This would assume that Hornby have such a completed no parts missing example in their possession! :)

  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Rails are still saying the Princess R3709/R3709X  LMS 6201 is arriving in the next two weeks or so, on their website now under 'Incoming Hornby' in Latest News.

 

The phrase used is 'we have been informed'....     :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, robmcg said:

Rails are still saying the Princess R3709/R3709X  LMS 6201 is arriving in the next two weeks or so, on their website now under 'Incoming Hornby' in Latest News.

 

The phrase used is 'we have been informed'....     :)

Hornby Magazine (March issue) confirms that all three 2019 releases of the Princess class are due this month.

In all probability there will be a review of this model in the April issue combined with an accompanying history feature on the loco.

 

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Omission.
  • Informative/Useful 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hell, and I had thought my bank balance was beginning to look good....

 

 

  .. so nice printed in that lovely red, far more becoming than boring black.  That'll be LMS red of course...

 

nurse!  where are my pills?

  • Like 1
  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Totally agree Rob.

 

I've got an 'acceptably decent' older 6201 so I'm safe for now ... until 6202 might make an appearance .... !!

 

Similar with huge differences I know, but one never knows ....

 

Al.


And that’s one earlier Hornby release that never did it for me,I’m afraid.So,really must appreciate this one.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, robmcg said:

 

  .. so nice printed in that lovely red, far more becoming than boring black.  That'll be LMS red of course...

 

I quite like them in 1946 black, but not all carried it.

The entire class missed out on wartime plain black. I think they were the only class to do so.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I quite like them in 1946 black, but not all carried it.

The entire class missed out on wartime plain black. I think they were the only class to do so.

The Scots, Pats, Jubilees and the Compounds also weren't all wartime black. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Brocp said:

The Scots, Pats, Jubilees and the Compounds also weren't all wartime black. 

Some, but not many, of each carried it. Not quite all Duchesses carried it (30,32,33.34 all missed out & 53 onwards were built too late).

The difference was that no Princess were ever believed to carry wartime black. They either went from red to 1946 black or in the case or 6204/6212, carried red throughout their LMS days. They must have been a bit tatty though.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 08/02/2020 at 10:09, robmcg said:

Hell, and I had thought my bank balance was beginning to look good....

 

 

  .. so nice printed in that lovely red, far more becoming than boring black.  That'll be LMS red of course...

 

nurse!  where are my pills?

 

It’s a bit like waiting for a bus. Ages pass then two turn up at once (as in I not only want Princess Elizabeth in my all-time favourite LMS red livery, but also Princess Marie Louise in that irresistible early BR blue......)

 

I’ve just given my other half (aka “Chancellor of the Family Exchequer”) the bad news. No response as yet, but it’s only a matter of time before the pills are needed.....

Edited by apollanaut
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, apollanaut said:

 

It’s a bit like waiting for a bus. Ages pass then two turn up at once (as in I not only want Princess Elizabeth in my all-time favourite LMS red livery, but also Princess Marie Louise in that irresistible early BR blue......)

 

I’ve just given my other half (aka “Chancellor of the Family Exchequer”) the bad news. No response as yet, but it’s only a matter of time before the pills are needed.....

I hope the blue is as good as the photo's. The latest BR blue A4 looks a lot better in pictures than it does in the plastic imho - very flat in real life. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I hope the blue is as good as the photo's. The latest BR blue A4 looks a lot better in pictures than it does in the plastic imho - very flat in real life. 

 

I have also noticed this. Hornby have been photographing their incoming products with a gloss finish for a while now. I'd like to know whether they varnish the existing product or whether they apply a slightly different 'show' livery for these pictures.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to remember there being a fairly significant difference between the first batch and the second in terms of the shape of the firebox.  And also that the first two ran with domeless boilers but were later changed to domed boilers.  Does the model cater for all of these variants or just one of hem?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...