Hornby - New tooling - LMS Princess class

Andy Y

11 minutes ago, Heiter said:

Now who's telling whom what to do..??      The model was not returned because I wanted the model weathered, can't abide ex-works/pristine, and that's why it wasn't returned.    The model that I have operates like a dream but that's NO EXCUSE for Hornby's poor paint jobs.    It's not as if Hornby are amateurs, is it!!    Come-on, let's call a spade a spade and not a piece of agricultural equipment!

Hornby have been very helpful and this is no reflection on our friends darn sarf...I hope.

Sorry, but I'm not aware that I told you or anyone else to do anything.

It is merely an option available to you if there is any aspect of a model you particularly dislike.

Mine, when it arrives, will probably be subject to weathering just like 

yours.

• Like 1

On 27/08/2020 at 23:24, MikeParkin65 said:

Looks different to previous attempts but I’m waiting to see one in the flesh. In photos those boiler bands look a little too bright and tangerine and shouldn’t the cylinder cover be lined too?

Surely those are not single orange lines on the boiler cladding bands?

If they are - surely that kind of thing was abandoned years ago?

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

5 hours ago, Heiter said:

Surely, the majority can't be wrong...it's insipid, FLAT, and nauseating!

A little bit of darkening and other photo-editing and we have this ; (will remove if John thinks this non-modelling effect is not to his taste)

Yes I know it's not a solution available to all...

46211_princess_portrait91_4abcdef_r1800.jpg.979cad6612094ff3735ecad1c016a917.jpg

It shows the orange boiler bands are not single, and the model is in my opinion superb. Somewhat edited photo.

Edited by robmcg
correction
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

On a positive note ,the Hornby Princess is a cracking model .Up there as the best of rtr. 

My own nostalgic affair with the Princess goes back to when she was elegantly bedecked in blue.The affair carried on for a decade when she won my heart in BR red/ maroon (?)  Edge Hill’s finest at the head of “The Merseyside Express “ . Can’t honestly remember her in green though.

Someone should in years to come after this cohort of worthies has dropped of their respective trees write a PhD thesis on “The Use And Misuse of BR Green in Model Railway Design & Production “ 

Thankyou Methuselah , lovely to know there are those among us who remember the 1950s. They are memories for me too, I only keep the good ones of course.  :) 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Sorry, but I'm not aware that I told you or anyone else to do anything.

It is merely an option available to you if there is any aspect of a model you particularly dislike.

Mine, when it arrives, will probably be subject to weathering just like 

yours.

You didn't tell me, suggest, hint, advise, question, the return of the model..??   I must have mis-read your comments then.

On 01/09/2020 at 06:59, Heiter said:

You didn't tell me, suggest, hint, advise, question, the return of the model..??   I must have mis-read your comments then.

It appears that whatever I say will be turned or twisted to suit your own agenda.

You've got the model, do with it as you wish.

Bored now, please move on !

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Norton961 said:

I found giving any recent Hornby loco a coat of Klear darkens and brightens up the flat colour. You can apply with a brush. You won’t believe the difference.

David

Buffing with T-cut does wonders as well.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

“Pace,Pace,Mio Dio”...WA Mozart ( lyrics  Lorenzo Da Ponte ) final scene “Le Nozze Di Figaro “ .Makes good listening for souls in torment.......sorry for exaggeration but you get the drift.Enjoy whichever Princess whose favours you court.Life is all too brief ...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Heiter said:

Who wants the last word... "That Group of People"...???    You are antagonistic and arrogant, I asked you, politely, to go away.   What's your problem...  I have NO intention of wanting to PM you, you're petty.

Go Away!!!

Calm down.

He's been arguing for the last two pages. Ignore him.

Jason

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Brocp said:

So.... any pictures of the new releases from people that own them?

I hope to in due course, my die cast version has arrived in NZ and is awaiting clearance by customs, being, with purchase including VAT , air freight, and NZ tax, plus customs charges,  not cheap.

My green 46211 left the UK today, and could take 4 days or 6 weeks to reach me....

I don't know why UK owners don't often photograph them, perhaps they retain value by never being opened?

There is a long video review of the model on youtube.

Edited by robmcg
addition
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It might not be a error, a photograph show her with builders plates on the the front wheel splashers with original smokebox door. But she’s modelled with a new door. It is possible that she exchanged  frames with another class member which had plates on the frame extensions. And ran with two sets for a while. Photographic evidence needed. ( which Hornby may have. 

it happened with quite a few black 5’s and photos are available to prove.

Edited by farren

6 hours ago, farren said:

It might not be a error, a photograph show her with builders plates on the the front wheel splashers with original smokebox door. But she’s modelled with a new door. It is possible that she exchanged  frames with another class member which had plates on the frame extensions. And ran with two sets for a while. Photographic evidence needed. ( which Hornby may have. 

it happened with quite a few black 5’s and photos are available to prove.

Hi Farren,

Do you have a link to the photo showing 6212 with makers plate on the front splasher? Of all the photos I have of her from new until WW2 (quite of few now I've checked) with 9 ton and10 ton tenders and both types of smokebox door, all of those have the makers plate near the running plate curve, as with all of the production batch. The prototype pair kept there's on the front splasher well in to BR (maybe they're whole lives?) 

Black 5's can be explained by different plants making them, all Princesses came from Crewe obviously.

• RMweb Gold

I have to admit I was wrong,  I was looking at the book late last night, however looking at the photo in Good day light it would appear it was shadow I took for a plate. Sorry for that

After writing last night I Did wonder about the builders plates and that they where all built in house unlike the Black 5’s. 

so yes it may still be possible with evidence I have to say Hornby probably dropped a clanger