Andy Y

Hornby - New tooling - LMS Princess class

3 hours ago, robmcg said:

For those who haven't seen it yet here is the painted sample in the Hattons Email, with a note from them that it is a paint sample, the final model not yet done. I think it is the same model adb968008 photographed on display at Warley.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/6201_princess_R3709_1abcde_r2000.jpg.cbbab3b6ec72330ec3dc1a3a128985e2.jpg

Looking at that image, the bogie is still rather “skateboard” looking. 

• Agree 1

Are we likely to see an image of one of the engines with a domeless boiler and in BR (light) blue, please?

• Like 2

She does look gorgeous doesn't she .  I used to drool over the 1971 Triang Hornby catalogue  with the then short Princess Elizabeth in LMS red .  48 years later I may have to get this one too , although I do have the previous model in BR Crimson

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Looking at that image, the bogie is still rather “skateboard” looking. 

As with the Duchess I believe the gap between  representation of the frames and the bogie is larger than scale to allow for the less than billiard table level track that most of us end up with! That said, with the front steps and the drain cocks fitted the opportunities to see the gap will be more restricted and from most normal viewing angles this isn't an issue. Incidentally the Duchess front bogie, whilst crude in form is dimensionally very similar to the Comet etched version of the same. 

22 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

As with the Duchess I believe the gap between  representation of the frames and the bogie is larger than scale to allow for the less than billiard table level track that most of us end up with! That said, with the front steps and the drain cocks fitted the opportunities to see the gap will be more restricted and from most normal viewing angles this isn't an issue. Incidentally the Duchess front bogie, whilst crude in form is dimensionally very similar to the Comet etched version of the same. 

The problem is more to do with the shallower-than-scale frame extension than the bogie itself.

Reading the engine shod blog released today it mentions them pushing the boat out and fitting firebox flicker to these. A nice feature that hopefully can carry over to other new models in future. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Reading the engine shod blog released today it mentions them pushing the boat out and fitting firebox flicker to these. A nice feature that hopefully can carry over to other new models in future. 

Be nice if it's bright enough to give a nice glow in the cab when running in subdued lighting! 

Nice surprise to read of the flickering firebox. Hopefully we see it more. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

Hopefully it doesn't just require DCC operation.

Al.

If it's anything like the Dapol version in their B4 it should would above a certain voltage

Nice to see the progress in the Engine Shed. 

I notice the vac pump which was on running samples fitted to the crosshead on the wrong side does not appear on the painted sample.

6201_R3709_princess_Image1abcd_r1500.jpg.2de709466b9d70528612fe84d1d3eddc.jpg

6201_R3709_princess_Image2.jpg.28e6d73f9aa931c787976c7c4c00f84c.jpg

Looking grand!  :)

6201_R3709_princess_Image4ab_r2088.jpg.8f4c25bcf48f24d066bbf13f49e4bb53.jpg

and there is a domeless version certainly.... this from Warley? Hornby Signal Box video clip

6201_R3709_princess_Image5.jpg.44ac925bce66dacd76463187051c003a.jpg

I'm pretty sure this was put together quite quickly, and as it is 'only' a paint or finish sample  there will be various small tweaks before release in early 2020.

In the meantime I can only drool.

6201_R3709_princess_Image6.jpg.6b13d3eac593890e77928580a1119533.jpg

What a lovely model in the tradition of Hornby from before the war.  When by all accounts we had crispy bacon too... :)

Edited by robmcg
add pics
  • Like 3

On 29/11/2019 at 13:57, Pre Grouping fan said:

Be nice if it's bright enough to give a nice glow in the cab when running in subdued lighting! 

Think it needs a full fat all singing sound decoder as I wonder if the TTS decoders will give the quality of sound the model deserves! 

Ive got to admit, I was initially non-plussed when the Princess was announced, but now Ive seen it in the flesh I am somewhat challenged... it looks fantastic.

• Like 2

I have mine on order. I’m buying the LMS red version with DCC on board. Never having bought one with DCC factory fitted before, anyone know what they fit? Presumably an 8 pin standard Hornsby decoder in the tinder. Any ideas?

looking at the decorated sample, most noticeable to me is the rivet detail, a true “corky Liz”. The previous model wasn’t as convincing to me. The reversing rod also looks correct for the first time. She’s really too large for my layout - but who cares!

• Like 1

On 05/12/2019 at 20:36, johnd said:

Think it needs a full fat all singing sound decoder as I wonder if the TTS decoders will give the quality of sound the model deserves! 

I've heard some good sound with TTS, so I bought one & the actual sounds are ok, I have other issues with it.

They don't support advanced consisting. This is unlikely to be a problem with a Princess though.

They only support 1 'spot' sound, so you can have it chuffing away & sound the whistle (the whistle being a spot sound) but if the injector or blower is running, it fades this out then back in to play the whistle.

The sound levels cannot be controlled very well. My TTS (a class 60) has spirax valves which can be heard over the engine. (No condescending remarks here please :D, I have fiddled for hours with it, even turning the spirax volume to zero, but it has made no difference).

The chuff sound cannot be synched to wheel rotations. This can be off-putting for some. 'full-fat' decoders usually adjust chuffing by detecting the motor pulsing.

I don't think TTS decoders are at all bad. They provide an affordable way to get sound into locos, which is a good thing.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, MikeHunter said:

She’s really too large for my layout - but who cares!

I built a WCML layout so I could run Duchesses & Lizzies in their proper environment...& when I rebuild the scenic section, stock for my other era contains AC electrics, so I'm keeping the same station & updating the period.

Such a layout has to be large though, so it is is my largest bedroom. Could that be considered an advantage of being single?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 15/12/2019 at 14:28, Pete the Elaner said:

I built a WCML layout so I could run Duchesses & Lizzies in their proper environment...& when I rebuild the scenic section, stock for my other era contains AC electrics, so I'm keeping the same station & updating the period.

Such a layout has to be large though, so it is is my largest bedroom. Could that be considered an advantage of being single?

It could indeed be considered an advantage of being single. Could it just possibly be considered a cause of being single? :jester:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

On 15/12/2019 at 14:05, MikeHunter said:

I have mine on order. I’m buying the LMS red version with DCC on board. Never having bought one with DCC factory fitted before, anyone know what they fit? Presumably an 8 pin standard Hornsby decoder in the tinder. Any ideas?

looking at the decorated sample, most noticeable to me is the rivet detail, a true “corky Liz”. The previous model wasn’t as convincing to me. The reversing rod also looks correct for the first time. She’s really too large for my layout - but who cares!

It will be the standard Hornby 8pin in the tender. I've had a few Hornby DCC Ready loco's over the years. They tend to run pretty smoothly but I have found the chips 'fragile' - of the 3 I can recall buying from new (a Patriot, a Scot and a Stanier tank) only the Scot still has its original chip. The Patriot became an erratic runner  - cured by the fitting of a Zimo, the Stanier Tank was derailed on a point set against it but that blew the chip. I personally wouldnt bother with the Hornby chipped version - better standard chip available from other manufacturers and tender fitting is easy. 

I see Hattons has posted livery mock ups on their social media.

Smokebox door handle / 'dart' included as well!!

Al.

Edited by atom3624

On 16/12/2019 at 22:32, MikeParkin65 said:

It will be the standard Hornby 8pin in the tender. I've had a few Hornby DCC Ready loco's over the years. They tend to run pretty smoothly but I have found the chips 'fragile' - of the 3 I can recall buying from new (a Patriot, a Scot and a Stanier tank) only the Scot still has its original chip. The Patriot became an erratic runner  - cured by the fitting of a Zimo, the Stanier Tank was derailed on a point set against it but that blew the chip. I personally wouldnt bother with the Hornby chipped version - better standard chip available from other manufacturers and tender fitting is easy. 

Thanks for the advice re chips. The fitted version looks attractive on price, the additional cost being less than the decoder, so I may start there, and then update it in the future. I'd love a Lizzie with sound and smoke, but cost precludes at the moment. 

On 17/12/2019 at 11:29, 9402 Fredrick said:

Hornby's website have the livery samples for each princess on the pages for the respective models.

And their various other pics have allowed me to create this.

will remove if asked.  I think the atmosphere is lovely, 'Look out Camden Bank'... although there wouldn't be much coal left by Glasgow with that kind of start. :)

6201_R3709_princess_Image4ab_15abcdef_r1500.jpg.03c64a7fb01197d5feac4748bd62e34a.jpg

Cheers

• Like 2

On 18/12/2019 at 12:13, MikeHunter said:

Thanks for the advice re chips. The fitted version looks attractive on price, the additional cost being less than the decoder, so I may start there, and then update it in the future. I'd love a Lizzie with sound and smoke, but cost precludes at the moment. 

Buying a DCC fitted loco is IMHO £15 wasted better pay another £5 and get a Lenz or Zimo decoder and fit youself, you wont regret it.