Hornby - New tooling - Peckett B2 0-6-0ST

Andy Y

• 2 weeks later...

I will have to get one of these. Can any tell me how much a Peckett B2 differed from a Peckett X, Obviously the X had inside cylinders, but other than that they look very similar to my non expert eyes

thinking 'Lord Salisbury' here.

EDIT Just noticed the splashers above the footplate  on Lord Salisbury, so likely bigger wheels, not just an inside cylinder version of the same thing. I will still get one though.

regards

Neil

Edited by neilkirby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm just going to the workshop, as I need a crowbar for the wallet.

A bit of a no-brainer, but very nice indeed. Any large colliery in South Wales will feature one of these, and normally bulled up to the nines.

Yes, I'm in for one.

Ian.

• Like 1

I will have to get one of these. Can any tell me how much a Peckett B2 differed from a Peckett X, Obviously the X had inside cylinders, but other than that they look very similar to my non expert eyes

thinking 'Lord Salisbury' here.

EDIT Just noticed the splashers above the footplate  on Lord Salisbury, so likely bigger wheels, not just an inside cylinder version of the same thing. I will still get one though.

regards

Neil

Off the top of my head, the X has larger wheels, longer wheelbase with a longer and higher pitched boiler which makes them look very different, plus the obvious difference in the cab design as the X was an earlier build. The B2 with its low and short boiler still looks like a diminutive locomotive, and although not particularly much larger the proportions of the X just looks a bit more beefy.

• RMweb Gold

As someone who has hardly paid any heed to the Hornby announcement over the last few weeks, I was completely taken aback by this and also that of the Ruston 48DS today. I would never have thought that Hornby would have capitalised on the obviously hungry industrials market so soon, but top marks to them for this.

What on earth can Bachmann have up their sleeve to 'top' this, I wonder?

I don't understand how the 'era' thing works. The blue NCB one is shown as an era 3 (prototype built 1916) and the APCM one as era 6 yet the APCM prototype was built two years earlier and features an earlier pattern of dome / safety valves?

Whatever it is, these look to be beautiful models and I'm going to have to order the APCM one. Remove the APCM branding and it could date as far back as 1905, when the first B2 was built. What era would 1905 be?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't understand how the 'era' thing works. The blue NCB one is shown as an era 3 (prototype built 1916) and the APCM one as era 6 yet the APCM prototype was built two years earlier and features an earlier pattern of dome / safety valves?

Whatever it is, these look to be beautiful models and I'm going to have to order the APCM one. Remove the APCM branding and it could date as far back as 1905, when the first B2 was built. What era would 1905 be?

It is a bit puzzling and I presume in this case it might refer to livery - which would in turn indicate that the NCB got their initials onto the blue one fairly quickly as according to Hornby 'Era 3' ended in 1947.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

TBH, I've always found the "era" thing to be a bit of a mess. "Grouping" is a single era, but within that each company adopted a number of different liveries as time went on. "Early British Railways" includes the standard "unicycling lion," the early experimental liveries and the transitional era when Grouping liveries were being worn with BR lettering. "Network franchising" and "present day" cover all sorts of chopping and changing between franchises. And none of this applies to industrial lines, London Transport or independent light railways. As for road vehicles, forget about it. The whole thing just feels to me like categorising for the sake of it - surely it can't be too hard to say "This model is suitable for (say) 1951-1957."

• Like 2

It's supposed to be what condition they are in, as in liveries rather than dates built.

However they often get it wrong. The NCB one should be BR Steam Early Crest 1948 to 1956 which is Era 4. Possibly going into Era 5 or 6. Depending on when it was withdrawn.

Era 1 Pioneering (1804 - 1874)

Era 2 Pre-grouping (1875 - 1922) 

Era 3 The Big Four - LMS GWR LNER & SR (1923 - 1947) 

Era 4 BR steam Early Crest (1948 - 1956) 

Era 5 BR steam Late Crest (1957 - 1966) 

Era 6 BR Corporate Blue Pre-TOPS (1967 - 1971) 

Era 7 BR Corporate Blue Post-TOPS (1972 - 1982) 

Era 8 BR Sectorisation (1983 - 1994) 

Era 9 Initial Privatisation (1995 - 2004) 

Era 10 Rebuilding of the Railways (2005 - 2015)

Era 11 Current Era (2016 - 2026) 

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

Very interesting, I'd heard a while back that Hornby had been up to the Ribble, to measure Fonmon, and I'm quite surprised she doesn't feature amongst the first releases. I'll have to buy whatever one is closest in appearance and modify it. Very fond of Fonmon, after working with it at the Spa Valley for over 10 years.

• RMweb Gold

Did any of the prototype get to be used on the mainline under 'local running rights' as per the Lambton Railway? The 040 I have assumed is too small  (and therefore I have not been able to justify even under 'rule 1'! ) but this looks big enough to have made local journeys ....

Very interesting, I'd heard a while back that Hornby had been up to the Ribble, to measure Fonmon, and I'm quite surprised she doesn't feature amongst the first releases. I'll have to buy whatever one is closest in appearance and modify it. Very fond of Fonmon, after working with it at the Spa Valley for over 10 years.

Crikey - was she there that long ? .......... only seems like yesterday she was at Bitton ! 

Possibly in the next batch. They have done Daphne from Ribble though.

Jason

Ladies and Gentlemen (and whoever else may be reading)

We have been blessed much like many others I will be getting the NCB edition I hope to run with my W4 that recently received NCB transfers from Railtech. 

Anyone else hoping for some larger sentinels maybe for the future?

All in all lovely to see some more industrial loco's (with detail differences too)

Oliver