Hornby - New tooling - Peckett B2 0-6-0ST

Andy Y

A great development. Well done Hornby. I assume it was easier to build on the W4 (of which i am a huge fan) than start on a different manufacturer. This leaves Pecketts dominating the field. So a welcome step, if not a great leap, towards representation of six-coupled industrial prototypes.

I like the Pecketts with the old Fox Walker open-top polished domes with Salter valves and I understand that the B2s date back to 1905, which is just about old enough for me.  I will be interested to see if Hornby can subsequently come up with a version representing a loco older than 1914. 

In the meantime, I really hope someone does one of those "twee" inside cylinder Manning Wardles.   

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Pre-ordered a Sherwood from Trains4u. Its a lovely looking model. Has anyone got any pics of the real thing? Done a google image search but to no avail.

a pic here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tibshelf/5835391561/

and other interesting NCB locos

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tibshelf/sets/72157627576975164/

cheers,

Keith

• Like 2

In the case of "Young Winston" the GWS hired them 1466, and the filming of the Boers attacking the armoured train was shot in the Onllwyn / Coelbren areas.

I have a photo in my collection of a Hymek towing 1466 and a preserved Toad through Cardiff General an-route to the filming location.

After filming was complete, I found 1466 and its Toad in the ground lathe in Canton's carriage shed, on its way back to Didcot.

If Morlais Colliery was used then the Peckett used in the filming would be 2114/1951, which was a B3.

But, 2114/1951 had left Morlais Colliery by November 1969, long before the Young Winston film crew arrived in Wales for the railway shots (summer 1971 when I recorded 1466)

The other railway scenes in Young Winston used what appeared to be a USA tank and a BR Standard 4-6-0.

Brian R

It was P2114 that was used in Young Winston with the filming being done at Brynlliew. The USA tank and 9F were filmed at the Longmoor Military Railway during the time it was hoped part of it would become a preserved railway,  the 9F being David Shepherd's 92203 and the USA is the one that went to the Bluebell.

• RMweb Premium

The Hornby Collector Magazine references this having a 6 pin decoder socket.

That's correct., as does the Terrier. The Ruston also has a six-pin, but it will have to be a micro, or nano decoder as our new R7150 will not fit.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Pre-ordered a Sherwood from Trains4u.

me too, along with a matching wagon, can't run the wagon on Summat Colliery, no PO wagons in use in 1958 and Summat already has a very distressed 5 plank internal "loco coal" wagon. So it will just be added to my collection of pretty POs :)

• Like 1

I've been down to my local model shop and pre-ordered a blue DCC fitted one.  The Ryhope fits in best with my County Durham theme.

The new Hornby catalogues had just arrived.  I'm holding fire on the Ruston for now until I find out more about the accompanying wagon- ie how easy is it to rebody...

Les

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've been down to my local model shop and pre-ordered a blue DCC fitted one.  The Ryhope fits in best with my County Durham theme.

The blue one IS nice ....

I pondered over ordering via Trains4U against Sherwood/Malc's but in the end went with an RMweb Supporter :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The Hornby Collector Magazine references this having a 6 pin decoder socket.

That's correct., as does the Terrier. The Ruston also has a six-pin, but it will have to be a micro, or nano decoder as our new R7150 will not fit.

Any chance of changing the 4-wheel Peckett to use a 6-pin decoder, to avoid me and other people having to solder one in?

I suspect the NCB one could be like the H&P 0-4-0ST and rapidly vanish from dealers shelves while Westminster looks too GWRish IMO and could be the one that sticks on shelves.

To be honest, looking back at how quickly the original releases of the 0-4-0 Peckett sold out, I'd be surprised if any of these three stick on shelves...

If the W4 is anything to go by, the first batch may well be near sold out to pre orders by the time it arrives. It was really quite hard to buy the W4 without resorting to the Ebay extortion it turned into, I lucked out on picking up my Biscuit and had to wait for the second batch for a works green model as Dodo went the way of the bird rather rapidly. Not making the same mistake with the B2!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm tempted by both Sherwood and Westminster.

Sherwood, with the name removed becomes a generic NCB loco whist removal of the APCM branding seems to put Westminster back to its military railway days, thereby giving the possibility of a WW1ish layout.

Rob.

• Like 2

As I can only justify a preserved example, whilst Westminster is preserved I am not aware of it actually having worked yet, so I will wait for the a future release of Folmon.

According to an article in Railway Byline Summer Special  No.2 their were 40 B2s built between 1905 and 1931 when they were superseded by the B3s (of which 20 were built up to 1954) which as noted above had wider cylinders (although having the same tractive effort). Wikipedia seriously needs updating as it only lists 6 B2s and 6 B3s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Peckett_and_Sons_railway_locomotives

• Like 1

As I can only justify a preserved example, whilst Westminster is preserved I am not aware of it actually having worked yet, so I will wait for the a future release of Folmon.

According to an article in Railway Byline Summer Special  No.2 their were 40 B2s built between 1905 and 1931 when they were superseded by the B3s (of which 20 were built up to 1954) which as noted above had wider cylinders (although having the same tractive effort). Wikipedia seriously needs updating as it only lists 6 B2s and 6 B3s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Peckett_and_Sons_railway_locomotives

My Westminster will appear on my Sheffield Park layout when I get round to it. It will be a visiting loco from the KESR, a might have been had it been restored in the 80s. Alternatively it can shunt my APCM presflos and Cemflos on my current generic layout.

• Like 1

Not one to generally froth, but the B2 is an inspired choice by Hornby, and my slowly evolving "Twll Cach Exchange Sidings" set about 1970 can justify one of the numerous B2s that inhabited NCB installations hereabouts, why Mountain Ash had two, and Brynlliw's 1426 ran into the 70s, with an alleged cameo appearance in "Young Winston" and then made it into preservation.

Mountain Ash had two B2's?

Was only aware of 'The Earl' (W/No.1203 of 1910) and the only photo I have come across, is in the book 'Industrial Railways In Colour - South Wales' by Adrian Booth (P.31).  This shows the old girl awaiting her scrapping fate outside the remains of the main shed on 19 May 1972 and possibly in a very, very faded light blue (but colour in such photos is very tricky).  Anyone seen any photos of this (or the other B2) actually working at Mountain Ash, as I will definitely be getting one of these!

Edited by steveNCB7754
  • Like 1

Mountain Ash had two B2's?

Was only aware of 'The Earl' (W/No.1203 of 1910) and the only photo I have come across, is in the book 'Industrial Railways In Colour - South Wales' by Adrian Booth (P.31).  This shows the old girl awaiting her scrapping fate outside the remains of the main shed on 19 May 1972 and possibly in a very, very faded light blue (but colour in such photos is very tricky).  Anyone seen any photos of this (or the other B2) actually working at Mountain Ash, as I will definitely be getting one of these!

There's another photo of 'The Earl' here but also after withdrawal:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/camperdown/23920959892

I've been trying to find 'in service' photos to see what the colour was without success.