Hornby - New tooling - Peckett B2 0-6-0ST

Andy Y

18 hours ago, adb968008 said:

...if industrials are niche, you’d expect it to be the domain of the commissioners, but instead the big boy is making the little ones, where as the new comers are making the bigger models.

Industrials are niche - at present anyway, but not necessarily forever, for all things are in flux - and that suggests the explanation for why the big boy has jumped in to such effect. It has the capability to take risks that a smaller competitor cannot contemplate.

• Like 1

I don't think they are that niche. There are loads in preservation and certain types could be found all over the country. They are relatively small and cheap, you can do a shunting plank or leave them in a siding on a goods yard.

• Agree 6

4 hours ago, JSpencer said:

I don't think they are that niche. There are loads in preservation and certain types could be found all over the country. They are relatively small and cheap, you can do a shunting plank or leave them in a siding on a goods yard.

Industrials are very much niche.

If they weren't then how can you justify the fact that many of them have Mickey Mouse liveries such as Thomas The Tank Engine or fake Railway Company/BR liveries. Trust me, most people, including enthusiasts, aren't interested in them unfortunately. Just listen to the audible moans when an industrial locomotive turns up at a heritage railway rather than an ex BR locomotive.

Industrial diesels get it even worse. If it's not fake BR livery then as soon as a failure occurs it's meet Gertie Gas Axe. :(

Jason

• Friendly/supportive 1

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 12:42, tomparryharry said:

Sorry folks, are we talking models, or the real thing?...

It is another operational aspect to model. If there really were 20,000 of these tiddlers in service, they must have been on view out on the network on occasions, so no need for an industrial siding or three, stick them in freight train. Means that you can justify more than one 'passing through'.

I would welcome any expert knowledge of such possibilities, too young to have seen industrial steamers delivered. (I have an all new and shiny BR green 350 hp shunter specifically to replicate their inclusion in freights when being delivered from the works. Actually seen that operation.)

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

It is another operational aspect to model. If there really were 20,000 of these tiddlers in service, they must have been on view out on the network on occasions, so no need for an industrial siding or three, stick them in freight train. Means that you can justify more than one 'passing through'.

I would welcome any expert knowledge of such possibilities, too young to have seen industrial steamers delivered. (I have an all new and shiny BR green 350 hp shunter specifically to replicate their inclusion in freights when being delivered from the works. Actually seen that operation.)

Take the connecting rods off if you want it to travel in a main line train. The one which went to Bagnall for refurbishment went by lorry.

Better to have some industrial sidings..and you need a few to get a real one to work enough to pay for itself

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Only thing is that to prevent damage, said locos were towed with some or all of the motion removed! This means some dismantling is needed of the Hornby model before such transit moves can be modelled.

This is because steam locomotive cylinders don't stay in good condition for very long without lubrication - which can only be provided when the loco is in steam (Hence Camelot being in steam while being hauled from the Bluebell to the West Somerset via the mainline even though she is not mainline certified*).

With small diesel locos designed for shunting, the gearboxes need to be disengaged or you will knacker them and the traction motors with prolonged speeds grater than 20mph or so.

* She has a TOPS number and the wheels / axles had to be ultrasonicly tested for the move though.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

The 'tiddler' aspect is often misquoted. There was indeed about 20,000 'tiddlers' around the UK. Some were miniscule; Some were large enough to handle a 600-ton train. The Andrew Barclays at Blaenavon were all BR registered, so they could take over said train, and pilot the 42xx's for the last 3 miles on an incline of 1-in 30..... Whatever your opinion, they weren't to be ridiculed!

The short wheelbase of a smaller locomotive has a distinct advantage over its larger brethren. They could get into and around tighter track formations than a 6-wheel loco could, and being that much smaller, were cheaper to operate. If they weren't successful, they wouldn't have made so many. Collieries, foundries, water board sidings, public works, contractors, chemical plants, steelworks, docks, quarries all had their works 'pet' normally bulled to the nines, and kept that way. It's only the onset of nationalised industry that has seen the demise of the works locomotive.

I'm awaiting the release of the B2 model. Efail Fach, and Efail Fawr are earmarked as principal players for my (still to be built) industrial layout.

happy modelling,

Ian.

• Like 2

If you put an industrial on the main line being moved it would be a relatively short distance. I once saw a Industrial going through Wellington (Salop) on its way to Bagnalls in Stafford for an overhaul but I don’t know where the loco came from. 

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Depending on location, the motion would be taken down, and towed 'dead' to the intended place of work, The manufacturers kept site engineers within their employ, to take this  sort of work. In this capacity, they sometimes also acted as insurance inspectors, closely affiliated with the company concerned. Bigger industries also had a full raft of facilities, up to & including major overhaul. It was quite a big industry in supporting the 'tiddlers': as big as any other large commercial concern.

One big thing that happened was the delivery of locomotive to the Rhymney Railway, via the Cambrian. Apparently, the Cambrian objected to the much larger Stephenson locomotives being transported over their lightly laid track*  From a titchy industrial to a power classified 4F is sometimes only a matter of size & scale....

* Although factual, the facts need checking.

Happy modelling,

Ian.

• Like 1

BR never had a problem with industrials working on their lines. At Southport we regularly went over to BR to pick up stock when it had been on display in the mainline station. Preserved diesels weren't allowed though.

Worth remembering that the first few locomotives to leave Barry were dragged on the mainline even though they had been in a scrapyard for about ten years. That only stopped in 1976. So movement of non railway company owned locomotives wasn't a problem.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Preserved diesels weren't allowed though.

Jason

Although “weren’t allowed” emergency situations have allowed it.

i can recall...

D5209 collecting a failed railtour (I think 45593) from somewhere close to Skipton

D5394 clearing snow at Aviemore in winter 1990

40145 collecting a failed 31 and rolling stock at Hag side near Bury c1989

DL26 as Shunter at Didcot

theres probably more.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I see that the date for the blue Ryhope loco has slipped again to July on the Hornby site, who are now saying it is out of stock, so it looks as if theirs have all been pre-ordered.   It looks as if it is a popular loco.

Edited by Floreat Industria
Incorrect information
  • Informative/Useful 2

There's two rather nice photos of a rather disconsolate looking "Westminster" in store at APCM Shipton-on-Cherwell in this months (May 2019, page 295) issue of Railway Bylines.

A point of interest is that it appears to have had dumb buffers fitted over the ordinary gear at the front but from what I can see is conventional at the rear!

• Like 1