Hornby - New tooling - Peckett B2 0-6-0ST

Andy Y

On 19/08/2019 at 16:46, Garethp8873 said:

I am still interested in Westminster. Before I say yes though, can anyone tell me if her livery would be suited for the Big Four era? I cannot recall if I asked this question before...

I'm unsure. But some details of it here.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/peckett-sons-works-no-1378-westminster-0-6-0st/

Also a photo here in 1960 looking a bit worn. Probably after years of use.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23987565@N05/5431360704

Jason

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Stupid question time. 

Images on Hornby website suggest that Westminster dome is copper. 

I assume (!) that it's brass? 

Rob 

Hi Rob,

Looks brass to me.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

I'm unsure. But some details of it here.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/peckett-sons-works-no-1378-westminster-0-6-0st/

Also a photo here in 1960 looking a bit worn. Probably after years of use.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23987565@N05/5431360704

Jason

Interestingly Jason, I had a reply from someone today who is associated with Westminster.

Did find a photograph of her as well on the RCTS website yesterday as well.

Sadly the livery is incorrect- never had that great blue badge or a copper cap. She was issued a BTC license plate in 1962 which is not modelled. The colour was always the same green so you could run her in any period from 1920 til the early sixties and be historically correct. Hope this is helpful. My model should arrive tomorrow Peckett No. 1378

On 19/08/2019 at 16:46, Garethp8873 said:

I am still interested in Westminster. Before I say yes though, can anyone tell me if her livery would be suited for the Big Four era? I cannot recall if I asked this question before...

Gareth, contrary to what is being said by one of the restoration group to you on Facebook - the livery is completely prototypical, including the copper cap chimney. This would be correct for mid-50's until 1960. 

Paul A. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, 1whitemoor said:

Gareth, contrary to what is being said by one of the restoration group to you on Facebook - the livery is completely prototypical, including the copper cap chimney. This would be correct for mid-50's until 1960. 

Paul A. 

If the livery is correct for the Grouping period then I will be happy.

• RMweb Gold

Just collected "Westminster" from Caistor Loco. It's on the rolling road, being run in at the moment. Looks good and runs well so far. Very happy with it.

Once run in on DC it will have a decoder fitted.

Edited by highpeakman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is the only difference between a B1 & B2 the size of the bunker?  If the answer is yes, then this is probably the closest I’m going to get to a RTR loco for the Alexandra Newport & South Wales Docks & Railway who had 2 B1s.  Both made it to GWR days and one just about made it to 1948.  The GWR also had another B1 no. 1388, but I cannot find out where it came from.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 minutes ago, Penrhos1920 said:

The GWR also had another B1 no. 1388, but I cannot find out where it came from. 

So far as I can see 1388 was originally "Goonbarrow" of 1893 of the Cornwall Minerals Railway. Taken over by the GWR in 1896 and sold to Cwm Circ Colliery in 1911.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, davknigh said:

I see that the  B2 s are in stock at Hattons. Has anyone taken theirs for a test drive yet?

Cheers,

David

Hi David,

I've run mine in on a temporarily set up circle of 2nd Rad; power was from a Bachmann trainset controller.  Slow and smooth from the outset, with a fairly low start speed.  After 15 mins running each way, they were even better.

Hope that's of use.

Regards,

Alex.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Has anybody tried to fit a DCC decoder yet? And if so did they find the 6 pin socket and blanking plate heatshrinked together in the decoder slot instead of where the instruction diagram shows it should be?

Pictures are of DCC ready Westminster as opened. Wiring is too short to move the 6 pin docket to its correct location

7C7AA606-FD0E-4C1A-9341-3F3212B51654.jpeg

C9FBA82E-9894-4AD2-B13D-1E834A7FAE1B.jpeg

4F200BE9-3BFE-4BE2-B638-8D114593B694.jpeg

Edited by NickC
Spelling mistake
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, NickC said:

Has anybody tried to fit a DCC decoder yet? And if so did they find the 6 pin socket and blanking plate heatshrinked together in the decoder slot instead of where the instruction diagram shows it should be?

Pictures are of DCC ready Westminster as opened. Wiring is too short to move the 6 pin docket to its correct location

7C7AA606-FD0E-4C1A-9341-3F3212B51654.jpeg

C9FBA82E-9894-4AD2-B13D-1E834A7FAE1B.jpeg

4F200BE9-3BFE-4BE2-B638-8D114593B694.jpeg

I had to cut the plastic and remove which surrounds the plug and "dc" board so that I could remove the dc board.

The instruction leaflet shows the decoder fitted by being laid alongside the motor. The Hornby decoder has a lead allowing the decoder to be laid alongside the motor but I found a Zimo with no lead would just about fit lead length wise. There is a little tiny clip at the top right when looking at the side of the decoder and the decoder is supposed to clip underneath that I believe.

My problem is that I intended to fit a Zimo MX617N but it is fractionally too wide to fit under the clip. My dilemma is whether to cut the clip away and whether the Zimo will fit even if I do.

I have tried various other positions for the Zimo but, so far, haven't managed to get the body shell to fit comfortably afterwards. I may have to modify the plug arrangement or hard wire the decoder so that it fits down the front of the motor where the dc board is situated in the picture.

Trying to decide whether to buy and fit the Hornby decoder now. Has anyone used it and is it OK? (Previous experience of Hornby decoders was not good).

Edited by highpeakman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, highpeakman said:

Trying to decide whether to buy and fit the Hornby decoder now. Has anyone used it and is it OK? (Previous experience of Hornby decoders was not good).

If it helps I've just taken delivery from Derails of the dcc fitted version (not what i'd normally do but I did wonder about decoder fitting etc given my experiences with Hornby bodies and bits...) and it ran well immediately after a quick check on the programming function on my NCE. It would benefit from running in but its not bad at all.

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, highpeakman said:

I had to cut the plastic and remove which surrounds the plug and "dc" board so that I could remove the dc board.

The instruction leaflet shows the decoder fitted by being laid alongside the motor. The Hornby decoder has a lead allowing the decoder to be laid alongside the motor but I found a Zimo with no lead would just about fit lead length wise. There is a little tiny clip at the top right when looking at the side of the decoder and the decoder is supposed to clip underneath that I believe.

My problem is that I intended to fit a Zimo MX617N but it is fractionally too wide to fit under the clip. My dilemma is whether to cut the clip away and whether the Zimo will fit even if I do.

I have tried various other positions for the Zimo but, so far, haven't managed to get the body shell to fit comfortably afterwards. I may have to modify the plug arrangement or hard wire the decoder so that it fits down the front of the motor where the dc board is situated in the picture.

The instruction leaflet in my DCC ready Westminster shows the decoder in front of the motor and the socket by the side of the motor and not what I actually found. This side socket arrangement is identical to the 0-4-0 Pecketts (except that they have a 4 pin socket) 

12E9EDE7-4A7B-4239-8B8E-49D88748491F.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, NickC said:

The instruction leaflet in my DCC ready Westminster shows the decoder in front of the motor and the socket by the side of the motor and not what I actually found. This side socket arrangement is identical to the 0-4-0 Pecketts (except that they have a 4 pin socket) 

12E9EDE7-4A7B-4239-8B8E-49D88748491F.jpeg

You are quite right. My mistake, should have looked longer and harder! 

I looked at the plug on the side.My problem is that the Zimo is a 6 pin out rather than a cable so the plug is mounted directly on it which makes the decoder too tall when it is fitted. 

I will spend some more time on the puzzle later today but am wondering about buying the Hornby decoder but I like my Zimos.

13 minutes ago, highpeakman said:

You are quite right. My mistake, should have looked longer and harder! 

I looked at the plug on the side.My problem is that the Zimo is a 6 pin out rather than a cable so the plug is mounted directly on it which makes the decoder too tall when it is fitted. 

I will spend some more time on the puzzle later today but am wondering about buying the Hornby decoder but I like my Zimos.

So is your connector on the side where the leaflet shows it should be or is it in the front slot as mine is. I’m trying to find out if I have a one-off build error or whether all of them are like mine. As it is, it’s impossible to fit a decoder without hard-wiring it so I’m sending mine back. If mine is a one off I’ll ask for a replacement. If they are all like that then there is no point and I would have to go for the DCC fitted one instead.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NickC said:

So is your connector on the side where the leaflet shows it should be or is it in the front slot as mine is. I’m trying to find out if I have a one-off build error or whether all of them are like mine. As it is, it’s impossible to fit a decoder without hard-wiring it so I’m sending mine back. If mine is a one off I’ll ask for a replacement. If they are all like that then there is no point and I would have to go for the DCC fitted one instead.

No, my connector is exactly where it is shown in your photo. I would think they are all the same.

I think it should be quite straightforward to fit a decoder if you are using the recommended Hornby decoder. 

You were right in that Hornby's idea, as shown, is that you unplug the dc board (probably have to take the plastic surround off first). The Hornby encoder then fits down into the front slot and the wires from that go to the connector which is now mounted in the slot alongside the motor.

My problem arises from the fact that I am trying to use a Zimo 6 pin which makes it difficult without some modifications as it is too long (including the pins) to go upright in the decoder slot..

Edited by highpeakman
Edited for more clarity (hopefully!)

37 minutes ago, highpeakman said:

No, my connector is exactly where it is shown in your photo. I would think they are all the same.

I think it should be quite straightforward to fit a decoder if you are using the recommended Hornby decoder. 

You were right in that Hornby's idea, as shown, is that you remove the dc board (probably have to take the plastic surround off first). The Hornby encoder then fits down into the front slot and the wires from that go to the connector which is now mounted in the slot alongside the motor.

My problem arises from the fact that I am trying to use a Zimo 6 pin which makes it difficult without some modifications.

With the connector in the wrong place it will not be possible to fit the Hornby decoder either because the wires from the connector are not long enough to allow the socket to be moved enough to fit the Hornby decoder into the front slot.

This looks to be a general manufacturing fault ad I now know of 3 Westminsters with the incorrectly fitted socket. I’ll be interested to see if anybody else posts...